$225 Kamaka

Vintage Kamakas, in my experience, are incredibly inconsistent. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen (or sound unheard) unless it was from someone really reputable.

When it comes to uke buying on eBay, one thing I've learned over the years: if it sounds like a "deal," it probably ISN'T. For what it's worth - every Kamaka I've bought sight-unseen I've re-homed pretty quickly, and there have been several.

When it comes to uke buying on eBay, one thing I've learned over the years: if it sounds like a "deal," it probably ISN'T. For what it's worth - every Kamaka I've bought sight-unseen I've re-homed pretty quickly, and there have been several.

Same happened to me. The ebay seller had the caveat, "I don't know anything about ukuleles", but was able to describe features that pointed to the year it was made, so obviously did some research. The uke arrived and it was bad shape. Cleaned the 40 years of grime off it, took it to Elderly to have a crack repaired and a new back brace replaced. Both obvious problems the seller failed to disclosed.

Rescued the Kamaka, and it is a beautiful uke now, but spent way more than it's worth. Couldn't justify trashing it.

Moral of the story, when a seller on ebay describes the uke the way a knowledgeable person would, then says something like "I am no expert and know nothing about ukes", that is usually code for "I am lying about the condition". I did get satisfaction by giving the seller a negative.

Last edited:
There's one for $395 on Flea Market Music Marketplace that looks in better condition. Well down on the page. https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

What would you be happy about paying for a good one? Sometimes if you post that, UU sellers will reply to you.

It's just mild curiosity for me because everyone seems to love Kamaka and vintage martins. I happened to see it when I was on ebay for something else and I had never seen one that cheap so I was curious. I won't be in the market for a while to buy anything but I am a reader/researcher...

Same happened to me. The ebay seller had the caveat, "I don't know anything about ukuleles", but was able to describe features that pointed to the year it was made, so obviously did some research. The uke arrived and it was bad shape. Cleaned the 40 years of grime off it, took it to Elderly to have a crack repaired and a new back brace replaced. Both obvious problems the seller failed to disclosed.

Rescued the Kamaka, and it is a beautiful uke now, but spent way more than it's worth. Couldn't justify trashing it.

Moral of the story, when a seller on ebay describes the uke the way a knowledgeable person would, then says something like "I am no expert and know nothing about ukes", that is usually code for "I am lying about the condition". I did get satisfaction by giving the seller a negative.

Hah! I am glad you followed up with the - review. Hopefully keeps people like that at bay!

and even when you ask specific questions, like does the neck resemble a banana? or can you see daylight through that crack, you still can never be sure.

I had a similar experience with a Kamaka soprano. It looked good in the pictures and the seller answered all my questions including saying the neck was straight and the intonation was 'spot on'. Unfortunately neither of those things were true, it had sticky residue on it and it sounded as dull as dishwater. There were no returns so I had to rehome it. When I listed it, I was honest, hence I lost a load of money.

It's just mild curiosity for me because everyone seems to love Kamaka and vintage martins. I happened to see it when I was on ebay for something else and I had never seen one that cheap so I was curious. I won't be in the market for a while to buy anything but I am a reader/researcher...

I just can't stress strongly enough how important it is, when it comes to instruments, to try before you buy. While I'll admit to my love of both the makes you mentioned, I have also encountered Kamakas that I most certainly did not love, and I have yet to encounter a vintage Martin that I love enough to actually buy.

And if trying in person isn't an option, then buy from a reputable dealer or the UU Marketplace. The days of getting cheap deals on eBay are long gone, sadly. (FWIW - I've been an eBay buyer and seller from its earliest days and am getting to the point where I'd rather pay more somewhere else, it's become that bad).

I just can't stress strongly enough how important it is, when it comes to instruments, to try before you buy. While I'll admit to my love of both the makes you mentioned, I have also encountered Kamakas that I most certainly did not love, and I have yet to encounter a vintage Martin that I love enough to actually buy.

And if trying in person isn't an option, then buy from a reputable dealer or the UU Marketplace. The days of getting cheap deals on eBay are long gone, sadly. (FWIW - I've been an eBay buyer and seller from its earliest days and am getting to the point where I'd rather pay more somewhere else, it's become that bad).

thats why people call it flea bay!

Top Bottom