Great Minnesota Ukulele Gathering

Doug W

Reaction score
Great Minnesota Ukulele Gathering

We are inviting ukulele players from all over Minnesota to come for a day of socializing, picnicking and, of course, playing the ukulele.

The event will be June 28, rain or shine, at the picnic pavilion at Kordiak County Park, which is at 1845 - 49th Avenue NE, Columbia Heights, MN.
See link:
Kordiak Park Picnic-Pavilion

More details, such as a specific time... will emerge as the date gets closer. We have reserved the pavilion from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. just to give us more options. Possibilities include - potluck meals,a group strum along with different leaders teaching the group, a campfire sing along in the evening - and a win the Toys R Us ukulele contest, win strings, etc with catagories for: best dressed, best percentage of group present (if you play in a group), best group song idea and best pie.

Costs will be minimal but we may need to pass the hat to cover our fees.

We hope to see you there and hope we can make this an annual gathering.
Great Minnesota Uke Gathering

We have a facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/TCukuleleplayers

You can also PM me.

This will be a good way to get over your Post-UWC depression.

Doug

Last edited:
June 28th 2014

Now fortified by 4 Uke Groups;
StrumMn - StrumMn Ukulele Players
TCUP - Twin Cities Ukulele Players
THUG - Two Harbors Ukulele Group
Twin Cities Ukulele Club - www.TCUkeClub.com

Chocked full of wholesome GOODNESS!

Plans are taking shape. If you live in Minnesota and play the uke, you can't miss it:

Great Minnesota Uke Gathering

Harry,

I checked out your NEW page, nice. Are you guys in the Green Bay area or further north? Hope you can make it.

Some of the folks from northern Minnesota will be camping at Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Park, about 20 miles from the uke gathering.
http://www.anokacounty.us/967/Camping

Last edited:
Hi Doug! Our group encompasses the Green Bay area, and south throughout the Fox River Valley all the way to Oshkosh.
wis-ukes.jpg

Doug, that sounds like a blastl! Wish I could be there.

Maybe instead of just contests based on certain criteria, you could also have a raffle for various prizes throughout the day (must be present to win). Instead of passing the hat or charging admission, perhaps you could have a suggested donation of the purchase of five $1 raffle tickets (and could buy more if they want) where they stand as good a chance of winning as anyone else.

See what you can get local businesses to donate in exchange for acknowledgement in your promotion. It doesn't have to be uke or music related. I'd probably get more excited over winning a free carwash or oil change coupon than a set of strings. :p

Guitar Center donated several music stands to a local uke meetup group I'm in, all because someone took the time to ask them, so don't be afraid to ask! :)

itsme,

I appreciate the suggestions. I realized after reading your post that I should edit my original post because we have come up with some different ideas for handing out prizes. All of the prize stuff that we will be giving away came from different uke makers and big name music companies that we contacted, however, we never thought of contacting local businesses and locally based giants like the Guitar Center, that's a good idea.

Thanks for sharing,
Doug

Well it was a success, even though we were rained out a little early. Ukester Brown did a workshop on barre chords and performed a few numbers per requests.
We had group songs led by
Twin Cities Ukulele Club, THUG the Two Harbors Uke Group, STRUMN, and TCUP.
GMUG-underPavillion.jpg
GMUG-4ppl.jpg
Jane C. Won the drawing for the Mainland Classic Mahogany cutaway generously donated by Mike and Tootka at Mainland. (To put it mildly, Jane was very happy.)
GMUG-Jane.jpg

My wife and I with our Mainlands and Jane with her new one.
JaneEmilyDougMainland.jpg

In total I believe we had about 45 people there today.

Special thanks to Tony from Twin Cities Ukulele Club and Brian from STRUMN for all their help and planning and co-sponsoring of the event.

Thanks for everyone who participated from the Twin Cities area, Wright County, Wisconsin Rapids, Two Harbors, Montevideo.

See you all again next year.

Doug

Last edited:
Top Bottom