Import Tax Vintage Martin.

UkeyDave

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer from experience.
If I were to purchase a vintage Martin Ukulele from the USA (I'm in the UK) how much roughly could I expect to pay import tax?
Alternatively does anyone know a good UK source for purchasing/keeping an eye on Vintage Martin's for sale in the UK?

Thanks.
Dave

HMRC change the amounts so not 100% sure, but I believe its around 20% on amounts over £18. Plus you will be stung by Parcelforce for an additional £8 handling fee on top of whatever the customs and shipping fees cost if the US seller uses the USPS. A courier company don't charge the extra £8. I recently bought an inexpensive Lanikai from Butlers Music and paid 20% import duties over and above the shipping charges (was still cheap compared to local prices for similar models, this model was not available in the UK )

You do need to work it all out nicely to see if its worth your while- you can also use a site like Shipito - they will take care of the logistics for you as customs can get awkward with certain woods which need CITES permits.

It's an awful amount. I normally factor 25% of the cost of the ukulele. 20% VAT then a customs release charge + Parcelforce charge.

My best experiences have been with FedEx rather than USPS. FedEx get it through customs themselves and charge you afterwards so door to door takes about 4-5 days. USPS tends to be anywhere between 10 - 20 days door to door.

Even with all the charges involved though I still find it cheaper to buy from the States. There are sites like Andy Eastwood and Nick's Guitars but you'll find even Style 0s in horrible condition are about £750.

Ukeydave,
iirc import duty is 3.2% (Commodity code 9202908000)
You then add freight cost.
Customs clearance charges. (Variable amount, depends who does it.)
Then add VAT at 20% on all of the above plus the initial purchase price.
That's why I bought a Timms instead!
h

Edit,
check out the Paris uke clubs, they have lots of Martins there, I think I have seen some for sale also. Ukulele Boudoir, Ukulele.fr. That way you'll only pay shipping.

Last edited:
Ukeydave,
iirc import duty is 3.2% (Commodity code 9202908000)
You then add freight cost.
Customs clearance charges. (Variable amount, depends who does it.)
Then add VAT at 20% on all of the above plus the initial purchase price.
That's why I bought a Timms instead!
h

Edit,
check out the Paris uke clubs, they have lots of Martins there, I think I have seen some for sale also. Ukulele Boudoir, Ukulele.fr. That way you'll only pay shipping.

Sheesh..... No wonder why we revolted back in 1776!!!! :) And they said it was taxation without representation!

I was going to put a bid in on the first one until the seller sent me a very patronising and offensive message because I asked a question about the condition of it! He said he didn't think I was ready to own a Martin!

Last edited:
Many thanks folks. Some really good help here. Thank you one and all. I'm not in the market yet as I'm saving my pennies. I still don't know whether I will go for a vintage or new Martin but am having fun researching. Thanks again.

Maybe he learnt about public relations at the Cosmos!

UC is actually a pretty cool place. It's a nice antidote to the sometimes saccharine, unconfrontational and parochial vibe that permeates UU. Regardless of what you think, there are people who need to be told to **** off. Being able to do so is handy sometimes.

UU is how you'd all like the world to be.

UC is how the world actually is.

i got loads of abuse on that horrible acidic narcisistic forum a few years ago

No offence mate, but you didn't really. You posted that you didn't visit often because you preferred "the other place", which is kind of a red rag to a bull on any forum. And the only other thread where something kicked off was the one where you asked for chords to Plastic Jesus (an all time favourite of mine, and a song which should be the UK's next Eurovision entry) and some religious nut job kicked off big style, none of which was your fault. Unless you had some offensive PMs which I obviously can't see, I'd say you were treated pretty well on there. I've had much worse, but I'm a big boy and will happily give it back. The members generally only have a bit of a dig to see how far you can be pushed before accepting you.

I know both of my previous threads are off-topic, and the usual suspects will be rubbing their grubby hands with glee before reaching for the "report" button, but anything beyond a little light hearted ribbing of UU generally isn't allowed on UC. As none of the regular members or moderators of UC are here to defend themselves, I feel a little balance is called for.

"Aloha Spirit" and all that, innit.

Yep, your point is well made, K.

All the best in the search Dave!

:cheers:

UkeyDave, good luck with your Martin quest. I'm sorry the taxes are nosebleed. It's not right.

(Pssst. Go vintage. :))

Top Bottom