Impartial Reviews from a VERY well read website

bazmaz

Reaction score
Seeing as this is shameless, I don't mind a bit of that.

Anyway - I review ukes and now have 42 instruments done and counting (and many in pipeline) together with many more reviews of apps, accessories, CD's DVD's etc).

One thing i want to point out - I will NOT take payment (cash or free instruments) for reviews like some may do. And that is because I work impartially. Without that, I feel my reviews mean nothing at all.

If you insist a uke is cheaper to stay with me than shipping it back, then I will either give it away in a competition or to charity.

And impartial means I get the final say on the review.

Now... you may wonder why I am ranting on that. Well, it's because despite that being the actual case, I still get

a) brands asking for reviews, but then rejecting the site when they realise that I get the control on the review. I mean, come on - if you are so worried about your quality control, then don't ask me. Plenty of brands have done, and are prepared to put their products up and have the faith in their own products. Good on these people

b) people saying I am being paid. Not only am I not I am glad I am not.

Anyway, rant over - got a product you have faith in - just get in touch. The site gets 3-10k views per DAY which I think is one of the highest around. Guaranteed good views!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-reviews.html

Sorry for the rant - I get fed up with manufacturers who think reviewers should be paid off to say that everything is FANTASTIC...

Sites like yours are what makes the internet great-- a genuine enthusiast sharing his honest perspectives, just because he find it interesting. Screw anybody who feels any different.

There's a fellow who writes car reviews for the local newspaper, but I've never seen him rate any car less than Excellent or Very Good. The whole thing is so transparent it's sort of funny.

Keep doing what you're doing. We appreciate it.

I had a company threaten to sue me if I did not take a review down. I told them "Bring it!!". they never did and I had a UPS guy at my door within 3 hours asking for the instrument. Beside that, If a company does not offer to send it to me for free, and pay for its return (Usually they send a return label, no money is exchanged) then I will not do the review. those that I am told to keep I agree on the giving them away. Lately I have had a few ask if I wanted to buy the instrument at dealer cost. That to me is weird.

Exactly how I work Tim.

I didn't want to have to post this, but lately had some digs come my way on social media that got me down.

I am seeing a growth in more commercial uke reviews (online and in print) and think it is important for the impartial ones to stay out there. I rarely trust a review of anything in a magazine.

It is so important for the impartial consumer reviews to be out there. Of course our opinions all vary, but commercial places that do reviews have to put their own interests first. I for one truly appreciate those of you who post your thoughts, opinions, and experiences --- good and bad. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and if somebody doesn't agree with you, then they can have their own blog or website and post what they think too! Thank you to Bazmaz, Ukeeku, and others.
Jamie

True that.

Outdoor is one uke I get asked to review a lot, but haven't. Couple of reasons - they won't send me one and the price of them shipped to UK is just crazy, but mainly I agree SO fully with the Ukeeku review that when people ask I direct people to Tims video! (good job Tim!). Nothing I could add to it really (apart from the UK price perspective.

I like impartial review and I like that people could have different views than myself.

I like all my personal ukes but not a big deal if you don't like them.

I also love independent reviews. It is hard to find objective reviews. Many people either for themselves or for their friends, stand to gain something from either recommending or black balling a particular brand or where to purchase it.

When someone is really adamant it is so obviously personal and has nothing to do with the product.*

To me one of the most valuable things about the internet are the unpaid reviews by enthusiast. Just think of how many new uke players like myself have been able to get better instruments that have helped us get a good start playing because of them. There is a lot to be said for taking this power out of the hands of companies with a financial interest in promoting certain products. I think this has probably also helps smaller companies without the financial resources to purchase good reviews in publications to get their name known for quality products and good service.

Keep up the good work guys!

Shame you don't live a bit nearer Baz. Otherwise I'd be happy to lend you my ukes to review (the ones worth reviewing, anyway).

Awww thanks Kahuna - what a nice thought.

btw - you coming down to Cheshire for the N'Ukefest. If not - we are on the bill at the Whitwell Festival later this year which is on your doorstep - would be great to meet and say hello dude!

Sorry Baz, it's always on the wrong day for me. May 16th is Mrs Kahuna's birthday, so we're always either busy or in New York (or drunk).

Whitwell festival looks promising, I drive past there to work every day.

Last edited:
Whitwell is a really nice small thing that get some great acts. It's all for local charities and the organising committee are a top draw bunch.

We played there last year and really didn't know what to expect, but they made us very very welcome.

Google anything these days and you will get pages and pages of peoples opinions, some with personally motivated vendettas and others just ignorant babbling. Having a known knowledgeable site with a track record of fair impartialness is a godsend. There is a reason you get that many daily hits. The Ukulele community thanks you for your hard unpaid work and if you ever need a place to vent, we're here for you.

Keep up the great work

Last edited:
Thanks buddy!

Is it just me noticing the significant increase in paid uke publications. I don't have anything against the uke getting magazines, but hand in hand with that, on Facebook in particular are columnists plugging instruments. I question how impartial they are. I rarely trust a review of a guitar in the usual guitar magazines.

I will stay happily unpaid!

Google anything these days and you will get pages and pages of peoples opinions, some with personally motivated vendettas and others just ignorant babbling. Having a known knowledgeable site with a track record of fair impartialness is a godsend. There is a reason you get that many daily hits. The Ukulele community thanks for you hard unpaid work and if you ever need a place to vent, we're here for you.

Keep up the great work
AMEN!!!! It's a fantastic site Baz, all power to you mate. I know exactly what I'm getting when I read one of your posts: sound knowledge, straight down the line opinion based on wide experience, and objectivity in the best sense of the word. That you are also a practicing musician networking with many other artists is icing. Keep it up brother. Respect.

Top Bottom