Tiny Tenor

Spud1$

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Pepe Romero tiny tenor all Koa. I was wondering what anyone has to say about this Uke? Thanks

I've had a chance to play a few of these - they have two at Anacapa Ukulele and one at McCabes. I think the Koa is quite a nice ukulele and a good deal for the price. Very nice tone and comfortable to hold. I like them.

They used to have a couple at my local shop (McCabe's), an all Koa and I think the other was mahogany/spruce. I was impressed with both with a slight preference for the mahogany/spruce (but I'm admittedly not always as enamored with Koa as many are). They had nice projection, were very comfortable to hold and and the build quality was good for the price point. If your local shop doesn't carry them, I think HMS does and you'll get the added benefit of their excellent set up.

Of course, you could step up to the one Pepe Romero builds himself for only about $2k more. ;-)

I've had a chance to play a few of these - they have two at Anacapa Ukulele and one at McCabes. I think the Koa is quite a nice ukulele and a good deal for the price. Very nice tone and comfortable to hold. I like them.

Thanks for the info!

They used to have a couple at my local shop (McCabe's), an all Koa and I think the other was mahogany/spruce. I was impressed with both with a slight preference for the mahogany/spruce (but I'm admittedly not always as enamored with Koa as many are). They had nice projection, were very comfortable to hold and and the build quality was good for the price point. If your local shop doesn't carry them, I think HMS does and you'll get the added benefit of their excellent set up.

Of course, you could step up to the one Pepe Romero builds himself for only about $2k more. ;-)

That's my plan when I win the lotto. Just have to remember to buy the ticket! We have no local music store so I was looking at HMS, I think they only have the Koa, uke republic has the mahogany spruce but no sound sample. I'll have to try youtube for a sound sample thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the company's site. They have videos with each being played but as you likely well know, it's hard to tell over video.

I played one at McCabes when passing through and was impressed as well.

Mitch

I was interested in the tiny tenor as well....checked out several reviews on this (just googled Romero tiny tenor). The only concern for me was Pepe Romero's comment in an interview with MGM at NAMM for its debut was that the neck/nut width was wider or thicker as some people had wanted. I believe he said it was 38mm.

I played it at the south california Uke retreat last November, loved it.

If I had room in my baggage and was not already traveling with a Uke, I would have bought it. Daniel is all heart. This Uke was developed between Daniel and Pepe Romero jr. It's even endorsed by a Pepe Romero probably the best classical guitar is alive.

The lineage alone should tell you something. For the price, the concept, the sound and the feel because of its design, it is a wonderful ukulele indeed.

If you get the chance, maybe you can pick it up when you attend one of the workshops Daniel is teaching at. The Southern California weekend was amazing. He will be in Reno on April 24th.

Check it out st http://playuke.net

I played it at the south california Uke retreat last November, loved it.

If I had room in my baggage and was not already traveling with a Uke, I would have bought it. Daniel is all heart. This Uke was developed between Daniel and Pepe Romero jr. It's even endorsed by a Pepe Romero probably the best classical guitar is
The lineage alone should tell you something. For the price, the concept, the sound and the feel because of its design, it is a wonderful ukulele indeed.

If you get the chance, maybe you can pick it up when you attend one of the workshops Daniel is teaching at. The Southern California weekend was amazing. He will be in Reno on April 24th.

Check it out st http://playuke.net

I've never been to a workshop, but I sure hope to go one day. This would be an upgrade from the one and only Uke I have now and I think I'm ready except its a little more money than I was planning to spend so I'll have to wait a little while. I am a little worried if I can change the strings with the thru the body style but a forum member said it's not hard at all.

That's my plan when I win the lotto. Just have to remember to buy the ticket! We have no local music store so I was looking at HMS, I think they only have the Koa, uke republic has the mahogany spruce but no sound sample. I'll have to try youtube for a sound sample thanks for the input, much appreciated.

They are out of stock at HMS, but there is a video of Corey playing the Spruce/Mahogany on the site under the Details tab.

Another satisfied customer here. I got the koa version in January, and it's basically become the only uke I've played since. It ticks all the boxes; perfect size, great sound, easy player, wonderful feel, gorgeous looks. I'm a gal with smaller hands, and for me the thinner neck width/depth is perfect. And I can't tell you how much fun it is when people ask you at jams, "what IS that???"

I recently had a luthier friend look her over, and he was very impressed with the workmanship. Pointed out several details that in his book were real signs of a quality instrument.

As far as the sound, I compared both the koa and spruce at McCabes before purchasing. Didn't notice a huge difference in tone to my amateur ear, but visually the koa stole my heart, it really sets off the abalone on the sound hole.

I know it's a larger investment, but if you can round up your pennies, it's a uke that will serve you well for years to come. Look at it this way, you could "work up" to that price by buying progressively higher priced ukes, or just skip those and spend that money on this beauty instead. Once you have this you won't touch the others anyway! (I jest, I still love all my ukes and they each have their own special skill... but this is by far my favorite child and the one who I take out to all the jams.)

If you're interested in the koa, do know that the colors and wood grain vary, and at this price point you should be able to choose. If you can't find a local store who could be persuaded to carry them, you might want to contact Pepe Romero Jr. directly, and see if he can send you photos of any he might currently have to sell to you directly. I've heard that he's very sweet to his customers, and that he personally delivers the Tiny Tenors to the So Cal retailers himself. This means, even thought it's a mass-produced import, they are still touched by the hands of the master... pretty cool! I saw above someone has given you the Romero Creations website - they also have a Facebook page.

Last edited:
Another satisfied customer here. I got the koa version in January, and it's basically become the only uke I've played since. It ticks all the boxes; perfect size, great sound, easy player, wonderful feel, gorgeous looks. I'm a gal with smaller hands, and for me the thinner neck width/depth is perfect. And I can't tell you how much fun it is when people ask you at jams, "what IS that???"

I recently had a luthier friend look her over, and he was very impressed with the workmanship. Pointed out several details that in his book were real signs of a quality instrument.

As far as the sound, I compared both the koa and spruce at McCabes before purchasing. Didn't notice a huge difference in tone to my amateur ear, but visually the koa stole my heart, it really sets off the abalone on the sound hole.

I know it's a larger investment, but if you can round up your pennies, it's a uke that will serve you well for years to come. Look at it this way, you could "work up" to that price by buying progressively higher priced ukes, or just skip those and spend that money on this beauty instead. Once you have this you won't touch the others anyway! (I jest, I still love all my ukes and they each have their own special skill... but this is by far my favorite child and the one who I take out to all the jams.)

If you're interested in the koa, do know that the colors and wood grain vary, and at this price point you should be able to choose. If you can't find a local store who could be persuaded to carry them, you might want to contact Pepe Romero Jr. directly, and see if he can send you photos of any he might currently have to sell to you directly. I've heard that he's very sweet to his customers, and that he personally delivers the Tiny Tenors to the So Cal retailers himself. This means, even thought it's a mass-produced import, they are still touched by the hands of the master... pretty cool! I saw above someone has given you the Romero Creations website - they also have a Facebook page.
Well I am really excited because a forum member who helped with lots of info has sold me his Koa for a price I could afford!! It should be here Thursday and I'm counting the hours

Well I am really excited because a forum member who helped with lots of info has sold me his Koa for a price I could afford!! It should be here Thursday and I'm counting the hours

Fantastic. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Hopefully you'll be as impressed as most of us have been, especially for the price point. Even more so when you buy right like it sounds like you did.

Congratulations Laura! What a wonderful community we have here, I love seeing it benefit everyone. Enjoy your Tiny Tenor, and let us know what you think!

Having just traded a soprano for a concert I am in love with the overall size of the concert but the scale length of a tenor. I'm really interested in the Tiny Tenor. Will try one out next time I'm at the store. Last time I was there a woman was playing one and talking about how great it is. I was pretty new to ukes (last summer) and had no idea what she was talking about. Admittedly I wasn't thrilled with the name Tiny Tenor and how cute she kept saying it is, but now I'm more educated and can't wait to try it. Maybe there will be a sale by the time I can justify spending the cash - October for my birthday?

Been looking at these too. Haven't seen anything used come up over the last month or so.

Top Bottom