Android/iphone hygrometer app

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
Edit: this only works on Android Galaxy S4. No sensor on the iphone until the next gen comes out.

This was news to me - it may not be for you. I just learned that my Galaxy S4 Android has a humidity sensor. The hygrometer app was free. I believe iphones have the same capability... Since I don't have a hygrometer to check it against, I don't know how accurate it is. Has anyone tested an app against an actual hygrometer?

Last edited:
Fascinating! Is this an app the gives the outdoor humidity based on your location, or is there a little device you plug into the phone?

Fascinating! Is this an app the gives the outdoor humidity based on your location, or is there a little device you plug into the phone?

Neither. Some phones are equipped with a built in humidity sensor. My Android phone has one (I just learned about today) and I believe the newer iphones have them. If your phone has the built in sensor, it's just a matter of downloading the free app and you've got a working hygrometer.

Last edited:
The iPhone does not have a hygrometer built in, the "hygrometer" apps are just a weather app that transfers humidity info from the internet. I use a digital hygrometer outside my uke cabinet and an analog inside, which shows that the inside humidity ranges between 48% to 59% while the outside ranges from 20% to about 38%.

The iPhone does not have a hygrometer built in, the "hygrometer" apps are just a weather app that transfers humidity info from the internet. I use a digital hygrometer outside my uke cabinet and an analog inside, which shows that the inside humidity ranges between 48% to 59% while the outside ranges from 20% to about 38%.

I just looked it up. Apparently this is only an Android S4 thing. They're saying the iphone 6 is supposed to have the right sensors when it comes out. The Android app is an actual hygrometer. I've watched the needle move and measured the difference inside my case vs just the room. It seems to work very well. The S4 is the only version of Android with a humidity sensor though, so there's one reason for android users to upgrade.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 also has Temperature, & Barometer sensors built in... millions of walking weather stations

Last edited:
This is cool, I had no idea, just another reason to love my S4

The Samsung Galaxy S4 also has Temperature, & Barometer sensors built in... millions of walking weather stations

This is cool, I had no idea, just another reason to love my S4

I've had my S4 since just after they first came out and I still keep finding out what this thing does. When I bought it, I just walked into a Sprint store and said "which one is good?"

Top Bottom