Conceert Banjo Ukuelele - which one?

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I want a concert size banjo uke but I'm driving myself nuts trying to work out which to get. It'd be a side interest, not my main instrument and I do want something lightweight.

For that reason I'm considering a Firefly (not cheap here in Oz, around $400 AUD), but also looking at Funky Strum from New Zealand http://www.banjouke.com/ because they're cheap, lightweight & I've played one. Not particularly well finished though.

Our group teacher reckons if I buy a cheap one I'll want to buy a better one pretty quickly (he knows me too well). So now I'm looking at the next step up:
Gold Tone? Gretsch Claraphone? Kala, Ashbury? Argh! Any suggestions?

Gold Tone is a good choice. I'm liking my tenor version and I've seen good reviews here of the concert. Waverly Street is another option although it looks like he is out of concerts right this minute.

I got an Eddy Finn banjolele for Christmas and it is really nice. Loud as can be and I think they are not that expensive.

I second the endorsement for Gold Tone although mine is the Banjolele model which is open back, not a BUC. Amazing volume, great tone. Not sure I'd call it lightweight especially when comparing to standard ukes. Most all banjo styles are going to be heavier.

Quality generally = price. Banjo uke not everyone's cup of tea. Just took a quick look at Ebay AU....that Funky Strum is about half the price of others listed. Lots' of suggestions for some fine ones here, with corresponding prices. If weight is a concern, don't get one with a full resonator. A closed back concert will be quite manageable. The new Gretsch has Grover tuners, bone nut, and a genuine rolled brass tone ring never found in instruments in it's price range. That Firefly is light as a feather and is loud and plucky. No weight problem there. The less expensive Rally, Morgan Monroe, and similar Asian banjo ukes are all pretty much Gold Tone clones. In the end, you'll have to decide how much quality you can afford. Those Waverly's are a very good value also. Good luck.

I have a Lanikai Banjolele. It was over $400, and plays quite loudly. It's very heavy, but I mostly play it seated so that doesn't matter to me. I like it a lot. I'm using it now to try to learn clawhammer--whew!

Top Bottom