So tell me about the Ukulele World Congress (and why I should go)

Preacher

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been here. And a while since I've played my ukes. I'm battling a bit of depression and emotional burnout, and my church leaders (I really AM a preacher) have told me I'm taking 4 weeks off after Mother's Day in order to get some needed rest. So...

I need a way to fill my time, and do things that will refresh me. The UWC is a possibility. But, what goes on there? What if I don't play uke very well yet? If it's all jam sessions, I'll do a lot of watching and listening, but not much else. So, how are the days filled?

Convince me to come. Tell me why YOU don't ever miss it. How would it feed my spirit?

(And how cool is it that I have church leaders who look out for my health?!?)

Preacher to preacher, I can't really say much about UWC, but playing 'ukulele has slain my depression.

Go to the Leader board Ankho hono takes the lead Chapter 18 thread. There are plenty of UWC partisans there to give you the word.

(And yes, it's cool to have church leaders who look out for your health.)

To address your self consciousness about playing in jam sessions, what I can tell you is, once I let go of that thinking and just played as best as I could, I found I actually played better at the time. Even though I couldn't keep up with much of the jams, I still let myself enjoy the camaraderie and experience.

Watching some of the dozens and dozens of youtube videos from UWC should give you a fair idea, preacher.

Heal thyself. God bless.

UWC is a friendly gathering of ukulele enthusiasts from around the world. I know people come from around the US, Australia, and Europe. It is a very loose and unstructured gathering - there are no vendors, no scheduled performers, no programs. Many people who are all united by a common bond - the ukulele - talk with each other, play music together, listen to each other play, etc. Towards the late afternoon / evening people start signing up for the Open Mic and may take the stage for a song or two. UWC 2011 was, for me, a magical experience that I will cherish always. I met many people in person that I had only "met" on this forum. I had a really great time and I am looking forward to returning this year. If you are able to go, and you enjoy the ukulele, I recommend going!

UWC is like a big family reunion in a lot of ways. A handful of scheduled events (the open mic and the traditional picnic) surrounded by a lot of time to just mingle, catch up, and play a lot of ukulele.

You needn't feel self-conscious about not being a "good" player - there are impromptu jams and "circles" breaking out all over the place with people of all levels playing together. It's the most welcoming and helpful bunch of people you'll ever meet on the planet. In my three years attending I've never once heard a snarky comment about someone else's playing...really, not once.

Some people camp at the field, others stay in the local rental cabins or hotels, and some of the folks who are closer just daytrip it.

John

What's not to love? I've been to all of them. I drive from the Cities -- it's worth it. Skill level matters not. It's just a really fun time with ukuleles involved. You really don't want to miss it.

Top Bottom