In search of a Koa board

Chris_H

Reaction score
I am looking for a Koa board. It needs to be super high figure. At least 6" wide, at least 4/4 Bigger is better. Needs to be at least 65" long. A gem, gorgeous, all that stuff. No knots, or defect in the field. Doesn't necessarily have to be flat. This is to be cut into veneers for a turntable like below. I know what it is worth, and can pay it. Anyone have a board like this that they will part with? Or know where to find one? I need one...

Please PM me if you have any leads.

Thank you!

In Hawaii, a 1" x 6" x 65", some what quartersawn curly koa board plus 10 minutes to resaw it into tenor uke t/b/s sets would be worth somewhere between $500.00 on the low end and $900.00 on the high end. Most of the work like your turntable is now done with shop made koa veneers here. Woodworkers here are making the conversion to handmade veneers to make work like your project more affordable, not to mention that wood like that is almost unobtainable anymore.

Yes... I recently paid $300 for a 17" x 8" x 12/4 piece of Quartersawn Koa. It was not highly figured, just extremely radiant, really pretty. The remaining 1/3 of it is in my uke wood stash now.

The raw board above, I bought 3 adjacent sliced, nearly identical boards at almost $1000 each, about 2 years ago. It was a total score, IMO. Pete bought one of them too. Unbeknownst to me I bid against him and lost at at my high bid of $1000. Sorry Pete! :) I contacted the seller directly after losing that auction.

The turntable shown above is veneered to cover the substrate. You would not want a plinth made from solid wood due the the frequency response, and lack of stability. It is build from layers of different specific materials used together for resonance contouring, constructed using a Constrained Layer Damped configuration. That plinth has a huge part in the end result of the sound produced by that deck. That veneer is about 1.3mm thick, and polished to 3000 grit, then oiled.

Top Bottom