Islander GL-6 Guilele/Guitalele

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I stopped in at Kaye's Music today, and he had just received the Islander Guilele. Much to my surprise I like it a lot. It's bigger than the Yamaha, more like a Requinto in size. The neck width is a regular classical guitar width and the neck is longer than most Guileles. The body is a baritone size. The result is that the instrument is much more playable than the Yamaha. The sound is quite nice. Probably a better voicing for playing with ukes than a standard guitar, but not muddy. I think you could also string this with standard guitar strings and use it as a short scale guitar. And, it's cheap - $239 - which is a good deal for what it is. Quality looks very good. I'm really tempted to buy one.

I missed that - you didn't put the name of the NUD item in the subject line. I hope you are enjoying it. Looks like you just got it a couple of days ago.

According to Kanilea, their baritone case will fit this fine. They made the area a little bigger for the headstock to accommodate this design. I am also guessing that it has no truss rod. Maybe I should worry about that because I have a requinto that could be used to shoot arrows.

According to Kanilea, their baritone case will fit this fine. They made the area a little bigger for the headstock to accommodate this design. I am also guessing that it has no truss rod. Maybe I should worry about that because I have a requinto that could be used to shoot arrows.

Does the requinto play well?

I just checked Youtube for them. I recognized the sound from Mexican music, but didn't know that was the instrument. So I wonder, not having played either, whether the g-lele family has more of a nylon strung sound than the requinto. I don't mean to derail the thread, but these things are good to know if you can't play before you buy.

Is this Islander Guitalele the same dimensions as the Kanilea Guitalele?

Yep, virtually identical. Try to think of the Islander as a Kanile'a, but without the searing pain in the genitals when your wife sees the credit card statement.

The Requinto is a six string guitar tuned up a fifth. It's exactly the same range as the Guitalele. It is strung with nylon strings and built like a classical guitar. To me the GL6 seems and sounds a lot like a Requinto. Periodically I think about getting one again - I had one that I picked up in Mexico but unfortunately the wood wasn't fully cured and it warped. I've been amazed that with so much discussion of Guitalele on this forum the Requinto does not get discussed. They all have an open headstock and tie strings unlike the GL6 which has a closed headstock and pins (which I don't like). The reason I was thinking of Requinto is that it has more of a full-sized neck, like the GL-6.

Does the requinto play well?

I just checked Youtube for them. I recognized the sound from Mexican music, but didn't know that was the instrument. So I wonder, not having played either, whether the g-lele family has more of a nylon strung sound than the requinto. I don't mean to derail the thread, but these things are good to know if you can't play before you buy.

Is this Islander Guitalele the same dimensions as the Kanilea Guitalele?

Yes. I don't know the woods of the Kanile'a-labeled one, but the Islander is laminate acacia. And the Kanile'a even second-hand, has a price tag of over $1000. I was looking, but no way that's happening.

Thanks for the case info, chances are I'll go for the Islander and see what all the fuss is about! The "problem" with these hybrids is that you really aren't sure how much gui- and how much -lele to expect, + the strings and case issues.

Speaking of strings, what have you tried? The Aquila guilele set says it's for a 17" scale. So what happens with this 19" scale?

Part of me still wonders if the whole guilele thing is worth it with its uncertainties. But then, do we ever really "know" anything? LOL

I'm pretty sure that requite strings would work fine on the Islander. I do agree though, and it is my hesitance. I don't really know what I'd use this for. It would be kind of fun to get back into doing guitar playing with the extra strings on a smaller instrument. But I already have a Baby Taylor and never play it any more, and I have a Larivee parlor that mostly just sits. The one thing I like about the GL6 is that it has nylon strings. My callouses are pretty developed so I can handle the steel strings, but I'm just much more comfortable with nylon.

I asked Andrew about the strings. He says they come with Kanile'a strings, which HMS sell for $ 10

I wouldn't put Aquila on one, not if it's going to have the same effect as they have on tenor ukes (I put a set on my Kanile'a K1-TP and it sounded crap). The Islander has a very warm sound, with a tight bass and excellent clarity. If you want something that sounds like a ukulele, this probably isn't for you. There's an awful lot of "gui" and very little "lele". I realise that none of this is probably helping, so just take a look at Corey playing one...

I asked Andrew about the strings. He says they come with Kanile'a strings, which HMS sell for $ 10

I wouldn't put Aquila on one, not if it's going to have the same effect as they have on tenor ukes (I put a set on my Kanile'a K1-TP and it sounded crap). The Islander has a very warm sound, with a tight bass and excellent clarity. If you want something that sounds like a ukulele, this probably isn't for you. There's an awful lot of "gui" and very little "lele". I realise that none of this is probably helping, so just take a look at Corey playing one...

Actually it helps a lot, thank you!

The other one I was seriously looking at is the Cordoba, but only because the CE model has a cutaway. But I don't feel like paying for the factory electronics. I'll sooner put my money on the reputation and setup from HMS. And all along here, you're convincing me of the Islander's merits. :)

My situation is this, in case it's pouring where you are too and you have nothing better to read. :eek: I play and compose on a low G uke. I usually sing and do a combo of strumming and fingerpicking, but also do some solo uke pieces. I am no guitar player and don't truly want to be. I want to keep the C tuning and similarities (portability, fun!) of the uke, and add the bass strings. I lead some group singing, also guided meditation and poetry with accompaniment. I think those bass strings would really shine here.

Opinions? And thanks for reading, somehow it helps to put that in writing!

So, is this the wrong approach? I sent this email to HMS at orders@theukulelesite.com on April 9 and haven't heard anything from them.

"Dear HMS,

I've read so many great things about you folks in Ukulele Underground over the years, and now I want to make my first order. However, I'm a little nervous about the instrument set-up.

I want to order the Islander GL6 Guitalele, but I need it set up as near perfect as possible. By that I mean, low action without fret buzz, and intonation spot on. I'm willing to pay extra for this added service. I wish to play advanced fingerstyle guitar music up the neck, and bad intonation would make the instrument worthless to me.

Is this possible, and can you ship to me in China? (Ironic, since I know they are made somewhere here.)

Please advise."

So, is this the wrong approach? I sent this email to HMS at orders@theukulelesite.com on April 9 and haven't heard anything from them.

"Dear HMS,

I've read so many great things about you folks in Ukulele Underground over the years, and now I want to make my first order. However, I'm a little nervous about the instrument set-up.

I want to order the Islander GL6 Guitalele, but I need it set up as near perfect as possible. By that I mean, low action without fret buzz, and intonation spot on. I'm willing to pay extra for this added service. I wish to play advanced fingerstyle guitar music up the neck, and bad intonation would make the instrument worthless to me.

Is this possible, and can you ship to me in China? (Ironic, since I know they are made somewhere here.)

Please advise."

I would call, they will answer right away and give you a quick answer on what you need. Sometimes emails get blocked/lost/forgotten/overlooked.

Best to call and talk with someone. They will help you out.

Man those strings still look pretty close together. Yes I seriously need good string spacing.

Just did ballpark calculation. If there were to use soprano flea (or martin OXK) string spacing the nut width would be roughly more like 58mm instead of the 50mm on the islander gl6. I wonder what spacing requintos use?

The strings are a hell of a lot further apart than they are any any of my electric or acoustic guitars.

I can't play normal guitar because I can't press down a single inside string only. Certain types of ukuleles are very hard for me to play for the same reason.

I've been playing around with some 5 string basses with 2" nut width and those are cutting it close. There might be some hope for me with the gl6 although I'd really like to give it a test run first, and of course i wish the scale was tenor (but I'm a uke playing going up and not a guitar playing going down).

Last edited:
Top Bottom