Why a Fiberglass Case

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
I just finished a five-day uke camp, at Menucha, in Corbett, Oregon. Managed to drop my uke on the gravel parking lot whilst juggling stuff, and it poured rain several times, which made walking to and from classes in the outbuildings a damp experience. Fortunately the 'glass case shrugged off rocks and weather. Scratches on the case don't bother me, that keeps them off the instrument. And while I know here are a lot of gig bags and cases that would do the job, I was happy with the level of protection I had.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got a red fiberglass concert case from ukulele world. Beautiful, sorry no pictures.

I still haven't used it. Waiting for the right time to show it off?

Anyway, I'd like to get one for my sopranos. It will probably have to be yellow or another
color than red :)

keep uke'in',

I just finished a five-day uke camp, at Menucha, in Corbett, Oregon. Managed to drop my uke on the gravel parking lot whilst juggling stuff, and it poured rain several times, which made walking to and from classes in the outbuildings a damp experience. Fortunately the 'glass case shrugged off rocks and weather. Scratches on the case don't bother me, that keeps them off the instrument. And while I know here are a lot of gig bags and cases that would do the job, I was happy with the level of protection I had.

View attachment 65297

Nice case! But, to be honest, I'm even more intrigued by the thought of a five-day uke camp. Care to share more about it?

I was in a torrential downpour once with my uke in a fiberglass case -- it stayed watertight and all was well. It has since gotten a small crack on the bottom in the fiberglass so I'm not sure it would weather that storm (pun intended) as well now. But I love fiberglass cases because they are super light and pretty protective. I love my turquoise blue one, it is without a doubt my favorite uke case.

I have one of the Kamoa cases, and it really is a beautiful case. Nobody seems to carry them anymore; I don't know if they are still available.

I have a Crossrock Polycarbonate case, which is similar in appearance to fiberglass, although it is a polycarbonate laminate over an ABS shell. Visually, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish it from fiberglass, but I guess it doesn't have the same level of protection. A very nice case, and much cheaper than fiberglass (about $80, compared to about $160 for fiberglass, depending on size).

I actually did order a Crossrock fiberglass case to house a custom uke that is currently being built, but I had it sent to the builder, so I haven't actually seen it yet!

Last edited:
I thought about a fiberglass or ABS case. But given I won't ever check a uke, I am leaning toward the Mono M80. It's waterproof and has thin ABS panels for added protection. Plus, it's super light.

The blue case is a Crossrock; I have a red one that is a Kamoa. It's cheaper, latches aren't as good, no storage compartment, but it works pretty well, and is a better fit for the uke it carries.

Top Bottom