PDA

View Full Version : Praise for HMS (The Ukulele Site) customer service

Brian W
03-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to start a thread detailing my positive experiences with Andrew and his entire staff at HMS. I purchased my second ukulele from him today: a Kiwaya KTS-4 soprano that I have been saving up for a couple of months now. He contacted me today after a shipment of 3 came in the day before; and was nice enough to sit down and play them all, before picking one out that he thought I might like the most. Now that is great service. Their setups are done right, and best of all, they are done for absolutely free. Try going into any Sam Ash or Guitar Center and see if they would be willing to do the same--my experience has been "no" to that one. Andrew, I know you post here on occasion, so if you read this thread, thank you again for what you do and offer to the ukulele community; it is greatly appreciated!

guitharsis
03-29-2014, 01:45 AM
Agree HMS is great to deal with. Andrew picked out a gorgeous curly koa KoAloha for me that he had in stock.
When I ordered my cedar top Ohta San from him, he patiently waited for payment while I was changing Pay Pal funding sources.

Not only is their service exemplary, they also have some of the nicest ukes to be found.

dkcrown
03-29-2014, 04:49 AM
We have many great sellers here that are members of the UU. But I have to say that for me, HMS and Andrew in particular, are simply a pleasure to deal with. It is a great feeling to be able to send your hard earned cash to a person and business that truly deserves it.

Skinny Money McGee
03-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Ditto to all the above

coolkayaker1
03-29-2014, 08:51 AM
ditto to skinny

Icelander53
03-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Ditto to all the above

Ditto to that ditto. Just got a Gretsch Tenor from them a few days ago with a perfect set up. It's the first uke that I own that plays easier than my Fluke.

Macmuse
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
And not just for instruments. Andrew confirmed measurements for a case for a custom uke so I could be absolutely sure it would fit. Was a totally easy transaction to get it to the builder.

actadh
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
My experience with them was wonderful. I love my ukulele more each time I play it. The setup alone was worth buying from them, but they made my first quality ukulele purchase a great transaction.

Stevelele
03-29-2014, 08:17 PM
HMS is a special kind of place, and Andrew and his guys are the heart of it. Thing is, they don't care just as a business strategy, they really actually care. The amount of work they do even on the very inexpensive ukuleles is just amazing.

Hippie Dribble
03-29-2014, 08:26 PM
As Dana rightly said, there are a number of wonderful sellers on the UU. My experiences with each of them have been awesome. And to Andrew I can only echo these sentiments. Consistently outstanding service and PR. We are fortunate to have them all as contributing members of our forum.

Ukejungle
03-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Glad to here that. I emailed them a couple of times about certain Ukes last year, never got a response. Even called them not once but 3 times, once they told me they were too busy to talk on the phone, 2nd time they told me to go to the website to hear the Ukes I had in question. The 3rd time they told me
to email them, they were busy again.

They lost a couple of sales but sounds like they are not hurting for business. There are others online shops that set up Ukes they loved my business. Plug to uke republic.

AndrewKuker
03-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Shoot, thanks Brian, and everyone with positive thoughts.

All of us here do care. Aaron, Eli, and Corey are full time in store and genuine guys with plenty of experience. I have been working along side Joel and Chris daily at our workshop. These 2 were with MGM from the beginning. Between the 2 of them they have setup over 50,000 ukes in the last 7 years. I really love our team. Zach even has a whole philosophy to how he boxes.

I like MIM and I like Mike at Uke Republic. I like anyone focusing on and loving ukes and not just moving boxes.

It's nice to be part of such a positive community. Like Jen didn't mention that she had to ask me 3 times for the measurements on that case. Most ukulele players have their glasses half full and it's nice to have you guys as friends. Call me up when on island (808)781-91688

Macmuse
03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Well, given the size of these businesses (HMS, Mim's, & Uke Republic as well as a couple other smallish ones) there are going to be good and bad days, missed opportunities and they sometimes can be victims of their own popularity and praise from the rest of us. And victims of the ship it now get it there in 1-2 day expectations we have now. None of them will bat 1000%. That's impossible.

I'd still choose to do business with them over the big box retailer for a lot of things. Don't get me wrong. I buy on amazon and eBay too (and some local music shops and even guitar center - mostly for strings, stickers and such). But our ukes from HMS are great and we've been able to follow up with questions and tweaks to them to make them even better. We wouldn't have that resource and knowledge to draw on elsewhere.

I still don't know when you can possibly sleep, Andrew. Between sales, videoing for us to see and hear instruments and doing things with your family... It may have taken 3x to get the measurements, but it all worked out with the timing to the builder so, no worries on my part. I'd expect case details to be a lower priority than getting the right uke, well set up, into your buyers hands. No other vendor out there would have even measured a case and it would have been hit or miss whether another was the correct size without inside measurement. :)

Mahalo!

Kimosabe
03-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I live in Waikiki and I said I didn't have a car and said i could come up by bus to the North Shore to pick up my Kala cedar top tenor. I didn't need to bother. They drove it down to my apartment building and arrived on time. Not too bad having the guy who reviewed the uke in a video hand deliver it to me. Love the uke, the service, the store, the vibe. This was Music Guy Mike's store. R.I.P..

bigphil
03-30-2014, 02:48 PM
I'll be on Oahu mid-April Andrew, we'll be by at least once during our visit! Maybe more... Always a pleasure!

OldePhart
03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah...Andrew and the guys (and girls) is good people. Definitely miss MGM, too. I have one uke I will probably never sell simply because it's the last uke I bought from MGM. That was before he went to work at HMS but it's obvious why he and Andrew got along...the heavy jones for ukulele and ukulele people is/was obvious in both of them!

Any time you have a small business there is going to be the occasional case that falls through the cracks. What really tells is how they handle it when that happens. So far I've had great experiences with every dedicated uke dealer I've had the opportunity to do business with...but Andrew and his crew really take the cake. Over the last three years I've seen him step up and do things I've never seen any other business, small or large, do...things that cost him money with no expectation of gain.

John

Brian W
03-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah...Andrew and the guys (and girls) is good people. Definitely miss MGM, too. I have one uke I will probably never sell simply because it's the last uke I bought from MGM. That was before he went to work at HMS but it's obvious why he and Andrew got along...the heavy jones for ukulele and ukulele people is/was obvious in both of them!

Any time you have a small business there is going to be the occasional case that falls through the cracks. What really tells is how they handle it when that happens. So far I've had great experiences with every dedicated uke dealer I've had the opportunity to do business with...but Andrew and his crew really take the cake. Over the last three years I've seen him step up and do things I've never seen any other business, small or large, do...things that cost him money with no expectation of gain.

John

John,

As always, well said!

- Brian

Brian W
03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Shoot, thanks Brian, and everyone with positive thoughts.

All of us here do care. Aaron, Eli, and Corey are full time in store and genuine guys with plenty of experience. I have been working along side Joel and Chris daily at our workshop. These 2 were with MGM from the beginning. Between the 2 of them they have setup over 50,000 ukes in the last 7 years. I really love our team. Zach even has a whole philosophy to how he boxes.

I like MIM and I like Mike at Uke Republic. I like anyone focusing on and loving ukes and not just moving boxes.

It's nice to be part of such a positive community. Like Jen didn't mention that she had to ask me 3 times for the measurements on that case. Most ukulele players have their glasses half full and it's nice to have you guys as friends. Call me up when on island (808)781-91688

Andrew,

I will be taking you up on that offer; Hawaii is on the top of my "must see before I die" list.

- Brian

mm stan
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Between HMS and MGM, on this island they have taken over most of the uke businesses with their excellent service, honest prices and service, with all ukes with great setups...pretty much elimanating everyone else on this Rock .....not knocking the other local dealers, but they have certainly cornered the market sales here, not only have consumers gained here but even luthiers have benefited also from the great exposure.....wishing them continued success..... their staff and Andrew and their commitment to business and ukes are second to none. good goings guys

hawaii 50
03-30-2014, 11:54 PM
I live in Waikiki and I said I didn't have a car and said i could come up by bus to the North Shore to pick up my Kala cedar top tenor. I didn't need to bother. They drove it down to my apartment building and arrived on time. Not too bad having the guy who reviewed the uke in a video hand deliver it to me. Love the uke, the service, the store, the vibe. This was Music Guy Mike's store. R.I.P..

Corey worked along side Mike(MGM) at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) until the end and learned so much from Mike....I have seen him deliver to many parts of the Island as he had seen Mike do it so many times before...the first time I knew Mike was really special,was when he drove two women back to Waikiki so they did not have to catch the bus(a 2 hour ride from Haleiwa) after 8pm....

it took Mike out his way home but he did it with a smile..... that was Mike for you....Corey worked with the best....:)

teruterubouzu
03-31-2014, 03:23 AM
HMS has been great to me. My coworker also recently purchased her very first ukulele from them. She bought the most inexpensive Kala they offer because she just wasn't sure if she would enjoy playing, but it's a beauty and plays well for her. I love how they treat all of their customers with respect and good service.

Dan Uke
03-31-2014, 09:25 AM
There's 3 sides to the story for most situations 1) One party, the other party, the truth. Since most of us don't know all 3 sides, I would go by my personal experience and then reputation. I only have great experiences with HMS so if I read of any complaints, I just brush it off.

Stevelele
03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
I will always buy from HMS if possible even if I have to pay more, bc I know that if I ever have a problem, they will take care of it. I also know that I will always be treated fairly and even generously. And I want to support their way of doing business. I have bought from multiple vendors, and even though from time to time they struggle with getting back to people right away, given how much time they spend on customer service in all stages, they are the ones I would always trust. Yes, other places may do set ups, but I don't know of any that are nearly as meticulous as HMS. Heck, I would buy anything from them if they sold it--even groceries.

Between HMS and MGM, on this island they have taken over most of the uke businesses with their excellent service, honest prices and service, with all ukes with great setups...pretty much elimanating everyone else on this Rock .....not knocking the other local dealers, but they have certainly cornered the market sales here, not only have consumers gained here but even luthiers have benefited also from the great exposure.....wishing them continued success..... their staff and Andrew and their commitment to business and ukes are second to none. good goings guys

Pueo
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
I always have a great time when I go to the store. The friendliness they show to each customer, whether they are buying a high-end ukulele or just a pack of strings, is exemplary. Get some mean jam sessions going on in there too! They really do care, and it shows.

Icelander53
03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
I will always buy from HMS if possible even if I have to pay more, bc I know that if I ever have a problem, they will take care of it. I also know that I will always be treated fairly and even generously. And I want to support their way of doing business. I have bought from multiple vendors, and even though from time to time they struggle with getting back to people right away, given how much time they spend on customer service in all stages, they are the ones I would always trust. Yes, other places may do set ups, but I don't know of any that are nearly as meticulous as HMS. Heck, I would buy anything from them if they sold it--even groceries.

But only if they included a set up with the groceries.

geetee
03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
And this is the set up they do:

http://vimeo.com/90530433
http://vimeo.com/90530433#at=0

Brian W
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I received my KTS-4 last Friday from HMS, and I, as usual, was NOT disappointed. My Kiwaya came setup perfectly and without a blemish. The instrument that Andrew picked out for me sounds and plays like a dream; I couldn't be happier. Thank you again Andrew and everyone at HMS for what you do! I will be doing a more in-depth review of this instrument in "Ukulele Reviews" section sometime in the future.

Sporin
04-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Have my second HMS uke on the way, they are always great to deal with. :agree: