PDA

View Full Version : People who give ukulele a bad rep.

Zakulele
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I was on Fark.com (the music section) and a link was posted from Radioexile.com titled "8 musicians who need a punch to the face".

Ok on to the point. On this list they had musician Amanda Palmer. The first reason given was, "the absolute butchering of Radiohead’s “Creep” with her ukelele and moaning whale song. Thanks for destroying something beautiful."
I thought they were merely criticizing because of the ukulele, but when I heard it, I understood there point. That's just my opinion.
Here it for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKltlk8A6Lk

Anyways, if you find anyone bringing down "God's instrument" -Woodshed
Feel free to post.

upskydowncloud
02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I was on Fark.com (the music section) and a link was posted from Radioexile.com titled "8 musicians who need a punch to the face".

Ok on to the point. On this list they had musician Amanda Palmer. The first reason given was, "the absolute butchering of Radiohead’s “Creep” with her ukelele and moaning whale song. Thanks for destroying something beautiful."
I thought they were merely criticizing because of the ukulele, but when I heard it, I understood there point. That's just my opinion.
Here it for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKltlk8A6Lk

Anyways, if you find anyone bringing down "God's instrument" -Woodshed
Feel free to post.

I don't know what exactly it is she's meant to be doing on that video, but she certainly IS NOT playing that ukulele, poor instrument. I didn't think her voice was that bad though.

Oh and it's crazily out of tune.

russ_buss
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
i thought it sounded fine. nice minimalist version.

she could have probably benefitted from a strap or at least sat down, to properly support the uke.

haole
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I didn't think it was bad.

The ukulele is a humble instrument, and I think that people with elitist attitudes who bash others do the ukulele a far greater disservice than anyone who plays and sucks. (No, I'm not referring to the original poster; the folks I'm referring to aren't UUers).

hoosierhiver
02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't get it.Big gig and she plays a crappy uke.

khrome
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Having never heard the original, I don't think this was bad on it's own. I think the writer was just a big Radiohead fan - you know fans can be really sensitive to covers. I've been guilty of it myself.

ook
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah I saw that video a few days ago... I thought it was awesome.
She kinda captured what the song is about... she's creepy....

It only makes sense that she would "play" creepy too.

dinkadink
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I think she's neato. Totally unique belty voice. She did say that she's a piano player first. Thought the uke playing was good. But I kept thinking she was gonna drop it. Anyway, she's alright in my book- for whatever that's worth. :)

Renaissance-Man
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I love this song. I play it on ukulele, but not like it's being played by Amanda Palmer. We all have different styles and talents.

I find a bit of irony in critiquing Amanda Palmer's version. To me, the words of this song pokes fun at conceit. My apologies if I offended anyone, as no ill-will is intended.

Howlin Hobbit
02-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm madly in love with Amanda F. Palmer (http://www.amandapalmer.net/).

The reason I play Creep on the uke is because of a video of her doing it at a bar. Wandering around, walking on the bar, leaning up against some (lucky!) guy in the crowd while they both belted out the bridge.

*sigh*

I think there's much too much worry about whether or not the proverbial "they" are taking the ukulele seriously enough.

SailQwest
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I've never heard the original, but I thought this was nice, EXCEPT that the uke was badly out of tune! (It's just one of my pet peeves...)

therimidalv
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Me too! Oh god i HATE that! Most people never tune the uke right so when they play it, it sounds crappy, and then they assume the uke itself is a lame instrument. I'd havta agree with most of the people here, he voice is beautifully unique, but the ukulele itself just sounds bad. Haha, my friend has that same one and it sounds like a toy compared to my Kala.

meletui
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
"HE" doesnt sound that bad!!!

Toucan Mango
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I think the vocals were nice, the uke sounded not so good. This song was among my first to learn on my uke, love it! but I can do with out the F-word.. My favorite YouTube version is here but its on guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIg1-izI-cM

NoLine
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Sorry
but I don't drink Haterade

i honestly didnt think it sounded bad,
if u can go on stage and by the end of the song get the crowd to sing along, then that is pretty boss

her playing was basic but lets not all forget we all started off sounding basic like that at one point.

Ukuleleblues
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I never heard the original but I thought the uke accented the singing and mood of the song even though it wasn't a Kamaka or Martin or whatever. Kind of a funky plunk to go with a funky song.

RadRenee
02-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I actually really want to learn "Creep" on the uke, and saw this video and thought 'oh heeyyy it can be done!'

however, isn't she holding the uke wrong? or playing it kind of strange? It looks really funny to me.

I like her voice, too.

MisoHappy
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!
was that muted strum in the beginning an attempt at a dramatic effect? She did something like triggering the star power in guitar hero. Pfft
Her voice isn't bad, but that was a very poor song choice IMO. And that is a very unfortunate ukulele indeed. The percussion sound of the chunk after every strum simply takes away from the song.

Uking is definitely not her thing. And it's not something she should do again (muted-strum HAHA)

*EDIT*
Okay, it was not as bad as I said it, but it just wasn't good.
Her playing was pretty basic, which isn't bad, but the style just didn't go with the song, not to mention the person. It was shocking that people were singing with her at the end.......after all of....that. If she did want to do it again, try some music that was actually recorded in uke...

ritzer012
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
If she did want to do it again, try some music that was actually recorded in uke...

i think i enjoy the uke the most when people perform in genres that werent "meant" for the uke

ukusaurus
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
i think i enjoy the uke the most when people perform in genres that werent "meant" for the uke

Me as well. I like it when people take a non-traditional uke song and make it a badass uke cover. :worship: With that said, I didn't mind the cover but I agree with everyone else that said her uke didn't sound so great. :p

Fast Dash 8
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I really liked that, actually. All of it. Even the mistuned uke. There's some sort of eerie simplicity to it that goes along with the "creep" subject matter.
I like her voice as well.

Plus it gives us hope. If she can entertain a whole crowd of people with a mistuned uke and basic strumming, imagine what you could do with a more in-dept uke song.

Actually, I've been wondering... Is it even really possible to give uke a bad rep? I mean it's such a charming instrument all on it's own that it seems respectable no matter how it's played. Maybe I just can't think of anyone right now whose really butchered the instrument.

benmealer
02-05-2009, 12:33 AM
:nana:I'm probably bad for the ukulele's rep.

tHeDirTyJoHnSon
02-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Yep,,, She sure sucks, hahah say that one fast,,3x
but i think she know's it,, listen to the song she's singing,"Creep", the words are very fitting,,, so for that she deserves sum sort of credit,, but a punch in the face seems a bit extreme,,,,,,,,Maybe,,,,,,,,,,,um,,,,,
just 1 in the guts,,haha

bryan
02-05-2009, 06:40 AM
A search on YouTube will find dozens of clips of Amanda Palmer playing Creep, some better than others, usually a bit out of tune and a bit rough around the edges but what all of them have in common is an audience who are loving it.

UkuleleHill
02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't think its bad at all... Yeah the uke could use a tuning but I think she did good.

cashew
02-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Put down the haterade, it is not refreshing.

I like it. Why? Because she had the balls to get up and play it in front of people. So her uke wasnt in tune... So what? The crowd LOVED her, and sometimes, thats all that matters--

ER... before I get grumpy(I'm a raging ball of blue eyeshadowed pms... so I know to cool it before I get all ranty)

People in glass houses should'nt toss the first boulder. Ya'know?

sukie
02-05-2009, 07:41 AM
And I wonder why I'm so reluctant to make a video.

UKISOCIETY
02-05-2009, 08:04 AM

So when can we expect your next one? :)

sukie
02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
So when can we expect your next one? :)

Funny....Next one? Gotta be a first one. I was starting to get up the nerve, but now...........

cashew
02-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Sukie, any video you post will be cheered for and loved by me. And, we'll spam all the detractors!

Power to us.
--Nut

NoLine
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
speaking of people who give uke players a bad name...

i was in school yesterday and i always got my uke with me and i play it whereever i go. i pretyy much know most of the uke players at school and we all love jammin with each other.
my friend tells me he spotted another guy playing uke one day so i decide to find him and say watsup.
i finally see this guy walking around campus with his uke so i walk up next to him, said "nice uke" and the usual "wats up?"
but then he responds in a way ive never heard from another uke player...
after my greeting he looks at me with a strange look and goes... "PssSH!" and speedwalks off ,
as if he felt he was better than me or something.

i think those are the people who give uke a bad name
where is the love?

russ_buss
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM

i was in school yesterday and i always got my uke with me and i play it whereever i go. i pretyy much know most of the uke players at school and we all love jammin with each other.
my friend tells me he spotted another guy playing uke one day so i decide to find him and say watsup.
i finally see this guy walking around campus with his uke so i walk up next to him, said "nice uke" and the usual "wats up?"
after my greeting he looks at me with a strange look and goes... "PssSH!" and speedwalks off ,

where is the love?

wow, what a prick!!! that guy is going to live a pretty miserable life with that attitude. it says heaps about his character.

NoLine
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
wow, what a prick!!! that guy is going to live a pretty miserable life with that attitude. it says heaps about his character.

i feel ya on that one Russ

deach
02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
:nana:I'm probably bad for the ukulele's rep.

Me too .

h-drix
02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
i liked the cover, not a fan of radiohead. She was creepy as others have said before, which helps tons for the song. she did need a chair though.

One of my favorite artists, tom gabel, has a blog (really well written btb). He was talking about one of his poorer solo performaces and how the guitar was very thin sounding "kind of like an ukulele". that made me lol pretty hard.

gp-ak
02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I though it was fine.

Well your probably not looking for a ukulele virtuoso if you going to an Amanda Palmer show anyway.

PS
Ukulele hunt has the chords if you too want to damage the reputation of the ukulele.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2007/06/14/amanda-palmerlady-caroljulienradiohead-creep/

Waterguy
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
This thread makes me wonder if Banjo players get bent out of shape watching old Steve Martin routines. The Uke is what it is, just like any other instrument.

Now, I do understand that the Uke has long been the red headed step child of the instrument world.

The thing some people never seem to get is that ANY publicity is good publicity. Search Youtube and I am absolutly certain that you will find all matter of folk butchering all kinds of music on every instrument imaginable. All of those videos have one thing in common. Someone, somewhere is going to watch them and think to themselves "I'd like to learn how to play that instrument."

We are never going to move the Uke forward as a respected instrument by bashing performances we don't apreciate. We may in fact never get the majority to realize that the Uke can do wonderful things...(history backs me up on this)...My advice is ignore every thing any non uke player has to say on the subject. Play what you love, hope what you do will open some minds.

The Uke has exactly as many strings as a Violin. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who thinks of a Violin as anything other than a serious instrument, even though there are undoubtadly lots of crap Violin vids.

sukie
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Well said Waterguy.

+1

bengbengchicken
02-05-2009, 05:58 PM

where is the love?

Ahh; that reminds me. I too brought my ukulele to schoolio and all the other uke players were looking at me like " Whaat the heck is she dooing?" And they came up to me and said "Heey lady, only Good uke players can play on campus. And that means seniors only." I guess its cuz im a freshmen.. Theyre meanies. Haha x] Anyways

So they were playing at lunch and i was too but across the campus and i kinda stole their crowd. And then they walked over hearing me play "Falling" by Sirs Dustin and Philip [tsud123&&ChronosXD on youtube.] and one was saying "Maaan, shes hecckkaaa good. SHes better then all of us put together.." And i guess the "leader" of the pack , he grabbed my fret board in the middle of the song and was like " Youre such an ugly uke freak." :rolleyes:

LOL; idk, random story time ? xD
It just reminded me of that.. thought id share (:

khrome
02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
And i guess the "leader" of the pack , he grabbed my fret board in the middle of the song and was like " Youre such an ugly uke freak." :rolleyes:

ZOMG That guy deserves to be smacked. Oh well, at least you can take it as a compliment - that's the bright side. ;)

UkEdman90
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Me too .

Deach you are sexy! dont worry about the uke man! u got it going on! U make the Uke SEXY!

hey deach...

Valentine?
:biglaugh:

NoLine
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Ahh; that reminds me. I too brought my ukulele to schoolio and all the other uke players were looking at me like " Whaat the heck is she dooing?" And they came up to me and said "Heey lady, only Good uke players can play on campus. And that means seniors only." I guess its cuz im a freshmen.. Theyre meanies. Haha x] Anyways

So they were playing at lunch and i was too but across the campus and i kinda stole their crowd. And then they walked over hearing me play "Falling" by Sirs Dustin and Philip [tsud123&&ChronosXD on youtube.] and one was saying "Maaan, shes hecckkaaa good. SHes better then all of us put together.." And i guess the "leader" of the pack , he grabbed my fret board in the middle of the song and was like " Youre such an ugly uke freak." :rolleyes:

LOL; idk, random story time ? xD
It just reminded me of that.. thought id share (:

its losers like them that make the uke look bad, NOT Amanda Palmer
just keep doing what you love BengBeng, don't let'em stop you

Captain Google
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
its losers like them that make the uke look bad...

Not when they make fools of themselves. :cool:

bengbengchicken
02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Not when they make fools of themselves. :cool:

Especially in front of the whole school :cool:

salukulady
02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I really try not to be critical, but this lady makes my teeth gnash.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIqubb8W4g&feature=PlayList&p=88357B485B11A329&index=0&playnext=1&ytsession=ntGwj-MO-VCsEwyofSR7w3Y1gS2xe9rrrWq32uYV3MKnuBL_vuHChb3qBwU TBJgmfYFiSN8SzWUE0r4GEKLBfvya328ol_Noojml2g3iL8Fnd tOsXaNjLRpfVwI4DOo5K55OQyzRq1uRyw5S9XKPK-4RbbKWK03R1Y6Eu44U1IIy4f_fJL6-sMNdQH1Yu52x5uHU73lwiiepUu_BHG_PXQ99spskxugsoKuM8Q sFceAkftz0uNEic_xHSYSm67RlmFRyMMAgF2lMSWAPMToIyJwP AByCb_hRLdSLjcaUxRoAiiwZiQZItncuOZ7gl0J6BdXZRZH1l_ HifOosSjGeHeCvO6rOJ2dK

cpatch
02-06-2009, 06:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIqubb8W4g&feature=PlayList&p=88357B485B11A329&index=0&playnext=1&ytsession=ntGwj-MO-VCsEwyofSR7w3Y1gS2xe9rrrWq32uYV3MKnuBL_vuHChb3qBwU TBJgmfYFiSN8SzWUE0r4GEKLBfvya328ol_Noojml2g3iL8Fnd tOsXaNjLRpfVwI4DOo5K55OQyzRq1uRyw5S9XKPK-4RbbKWK03R1Y6Eu44U1IIy4f_fJL6-sMNdQH1Yu52x5uHU73lwiiepUu_BHG_PXQ99spskxugsoKuM8Q sFceAkftz0uNEic_xHSYSm67RlmFRyMMAgF2lMSWAPMToIyJwP AByCb_hRLdSLjcaUxRoAiiwZiQZItncuOZ7gl0J6BdXZRZH1l_ HifOosSjGeHeCvO6rOJ2dK
Gilda Radner is spinning in her grave.

salukulady
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Gilda Radner is spinning in her grave.Gilda would have done it right.....

MisoHappy
02-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Having never heard the original, I don't think this was bad on it's own. I think the writer was just a big Radiohead fan - you know fans can be really sensitive to covers. I've been guilty of it myself.

I've heard this song (purely by means of Rock Band) and it does sound like it, it just doesn't have the same mojo, if you know what I mean. In fact, she has a completely different mojo, it kinda ruins it.

Frankly, this is why I'm afraid to do covers

Gary Jugert
02-06-2009, 09:23 PM
One: You can't give the ukulele a bad rep, that's already well established. A few people are working to improve it's reputation, but for most of society the ukulele is in the same category as tambourine, kazoo, and slide whistle.

Two: I like to believe this is a community that can handle any player in any style. I know it's not true because I've hung out with uke players long enough to know they're not the most worldly bunch, but I still want to believe we can embrace everybody who wants to love our little guy. Let us be supportive of those musicians we don't like in addition to the ones we do like but who are still terrible. This is an instrument that has withstood George Formby AND Tiny Tim. It will certainly handle the punks, the rappers, the folk singers (God help us), and anybody else who can't sing a lick but still want to try.

Three: Amanda is simply amazing. There is a version of her playing Creep in a bar she uploaded about a year ago and honestly, she's so scary it's as close to perfection as anyone should be allowed to reach. When I saw her bumbling through that song in her apparently intoxicated state, I decided I would learn that song, and I would worry a whole lot less about being a bad ukulele player.

Four: We don't need every ukulele player to be amazing. We have Jake, we have James Hill, we have Aldrine, we have countless others who treat this instrument with reverence and take it to places no "toy" instrument should go. If you're hoping to be like them, then be inspired by them. As for me, I like seeing people being ridiculous, having so much fun at the expense of a little guitar, and using this iconic instrument to say "screw you establishment!" Sometimes it means stopping a video after about thirty seconds and moving onto something else (because even with American Idol being America's number one show, my brain hasn't melted far enough to listen to really bad ukulele). I'm thankful people are brave enough to put themselves out there and say, "Hey, I have this ukulele and I want to share a song with you."

deach
02-07-2009, 01:49 AM
One: You can't give the ukulele a bad rep, that's already well established. A few people are working to improve it's reputation, but for most of society the ukulele is in the same category as tambourine, kazoo, and slide whistle.

Two: I like to believe this is a community that can handle any player in any style. I know it's not true because I've hung out with uke players long enough to know they're not the most worldly bunch, but I still want to believe we can embrace everybody who wants to love our little guy. Let us be supportive of those musicians we don't like in addition to the ones we do like but who are still terrible. This is an instrument that has withstood George Formby AND Tiny Tim. It will certainly handle the punks, the rappers, the folk singers (God help us), and anybody else who can't sing a lick but still want to try.

Three: Amanda is simply amazing. There is a version of her playing Creep in a bar she uploaded about a year ago and honestly, she's so scary it's as close to perfection as anyone should be allowed to reach. When I saw her bumbling through that song in her apparently intoxicated state, I decided I would learn that song, and I would worry a whole lot less about being a bad ukulele player.

Four: We don't need every ukulele player to be amazing. We have Jake, we have James Hill, we have Aldrine, we have countless others who treat this instrument with reverence and take it to places no "toy" instrument should go. If you're hoping to be like them, then be inspired by them. As for me, I like seeing people being ridiculous, having so much fun at the expense of a little guitar, and using this iconic instrument to say "screw you establishment!" Sometimes it means stopping a video after about thirty seconds and moving onto something else (because even with American Idol being America's number one show, my brain hasn't melted far enough to listen to really bad ukulele). I'm thankful people are brave enough to put themselves out there and say, "Hey, I have this ukulele and I want to share a song with you."

amen .

TheWannabe90
02-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Finally our messiah has arrived...

Ukulele JJ
02-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Four: We don't need every ukulele player to be amazing.

A very good point.

In fact, it's probably better that we're not all amazing. One of the strengths of the uke (and uke culture) is its accessibility. Anyone can pick up a ukulele and, after a few minutes learning, can plink out a ditty or two. We need people who absolutely stink, if only to reinforce the fact that it's okay to absolutely stink!

(WARNING: Soapbox alert! :old:)

I'm a firm believer that creating music should be for everyone. I guess in a few cultures, it still is. But for some reason, most people think that if you can't be amazing at music, you shouldn't bother. Hogwash!

I know so many adults who will surprise me with the fact that they took [fill in the instrument] lessons for many years when they were younger, but now never touch the thing. They just gave up. How sad is that?

People still cook, even though they're not Thomas Keller. And they'll throw the football around in the backyard with friends even though they're not Brett Favre. But they feel like they've got to be the second coming of Mozart in order to play an instrument.

So it's okay if the uke isn't always taken seriously. Maybe it will remove all the demands and cultural baggage that other instruments have, and give people permission to just have fun with it, even if they're not a "serious musician".

JJ

Harold O.
02-07-2009, 05:05 AM
SOAPBOX, cont...

At a karate competition meet some years ago, I met up with a man who I had begun training with years before. We chatted it up and relived a few bruises, etc.

He had gone on to be one of the top karatekas in the country. He explained that he trained every day. Running, lifting, kata, kumite, there was something every day. His face went blank with disbelief when I told him I trained only about 10 hours per week.

"How can you do that? You'll never be the best! Why bother training at all?"

"Well, I have no desire to defeat you. Nor to be defeated by you," I told my friend, "Your goals and mine are not the same."

I pointed out that he liked to play guitar and surf. Did he compete? Go on stage? Pursue a professional career with those activities? Why was he wasting his time with that stuff if he's not going to be the best? ahhhhhhh...he understood.

liquid_wind
02-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Every time I browse past (or through) this thread I alway think/hum You give Uke a bad name to Bon Jovi.

khrome
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I pointed out that he liked to play guitar and surf. Did he compete? Go on stage? Pursue a professional career with those activities? Why was he wasting his time with that stuff if he's not going to be the best? ahhhhhhh...he understood.

Very wise, Harold-san!

Paul December
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I showed the Amanda Palmer video to a friend who is BIG Radiohead fan.
I expected him to hate it, and his only response was, "You should learn Creep on the Ukulele too" :D

ritzer012
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Very wise, Harold-san!

hahahaha good one

menehunenyc
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Ugh...Reminds of the Lily Tomlin character in the big chair on Laugh In...long long ago...not as funny tho.

menehunenyc
02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
SOAPBOX, cont...

At a karate competition meet some years ago, I met up with a man who I had begun training with years before. We chatted it up and relived a few bruises, etc.

He had gone on to be one of the top karatekas in the country. He explained that he trained every day. Running, lifting, kata, kumite, there was something every day. His face went blank with disbelief when I told him I trained only about 10 hours per week.

"How can you do that? You'll never be the best! Why bother training at all?"

"Well, I have no desire to defeat you. Nor to be defeated by you," I told my friend, "Your goals and mine are not the same."

Ahhhh (with finger pointed up), grasshoppa become teacha'!!

ukulelefatman
02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I say props to anyone playing bad ukulele and making it sound good. There is much, much more to being entertaining than playing the chords clearly.
I've known many talented musicians who keep perfect time and never miss a lick.....boring.
It's the idiosyncratic ones that get your brain bubbling isn't it? Where would we be without the Frank Zappa's, Captain Beefheart's and Gigi Allens of the world?

Play like nobody's watching.

brooksylele
02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
i learned creep about a week ago... and i didn't realize til today how many covers of creep are on youtube. i have to say i enjoyed amanda's cover, though the only thing that bothered me was the way she was holding her ukulele.

Gary Jugert
02-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I showed the Amanda Palmer video to a friend who is BIG Radiohead fan.
I expected him to hate it, and his only response was, "You should learn Creep on the Ukulele too" :D

Ha Ha Ha! I burst out laughing at this. Your friend has it exactly right. Rather than hating a thing, be be inspired to go out and do it better.

Gary Jugert
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM

I love Thessaly. I wrote to her recently to get the chords and lyrics to her song about Popcorn and she couldn't have been sweeter. I can't sing like she does, but her comedy act is funny.

UKISOCIETY
02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
I love Thessaly. I wrote to her recently to get the chords and lyrics to her song about Popcorn and she couldn't have been sweeter. I can't sing like she does, but her comedy act is funny.

No it's not.

But that's my opinion!:rolleyes:

Bassukuguy
02-08-2009, 02:55 AM
No it's not.

But that's my opinion!:rolleyes:

*OPINION BASHED!!!!!!!*

Oh, thats now what we are doing in this thread...

*RUNS AWAY*

but being super serial here, the Creep cover was intresting... not my fave, but not the worst cover ever. but sweet jeeezuz the lady in the closed... seriously? SERIOUSLY?.... *throws up hands*

ichadwick
02-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Anyways, if you find anyone bringing down "God's instrument"...
I liked her version, although like the others here I didn't like the uke itself. I'd like to get the tab for that dong if anyone here is doing it.

But what's this "god's instrument" nonsense? Does that mean atheists can't play it? Will our independence be tainted by doing so? And which god? There are so many these days, it's hard to keep track of them all. I recall the story about the dyslexic agnostic who stayed awake all night wondering if there really was a dog...

Jroby
02-08-2009, 04:14 AM
I recall the story about the dyslexic agnostic who stayed awake all night wondering if there really was a dog...

nice :D
anyways the uke playing itself was pretty bad. The singing was okay. but the song choice fit really well. I don't really think Radiohead would care (they dont even play that song anymore).

haolejohn
02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I think those that hated it failed to catch her intentions. I watched a few of her videos today and in all of them she is strange and appears to go for the "shock factor".

Also her ukulele cost $20 brand new. It's a Hilo. She probally got it as close to being in tune as she could get it.

tadam3000
02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, What Howlin' Hobbit said (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92763&postcount=10). Amanda Palmer was the reason I learned Creep, and I prefer her version to Radiohead's... I really like the (more quoting) "minimalist" feel to it. While she's certainly no virtuoso on the ukulele, I certainly think performing should be about connecting with the audience in a meaningful way, and she does that. She does that in spades. FWIW, the recording at Black Cab Sessions (http://blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1225319732&sort=chronological) she uses a Pono.

Howlin Hobbit
02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
...I certainly think performing should be about connecting with the audience in a meaningful way...

tadam3000 FTW!

FWIW, the recording at Black Cab Sessions (http://blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1225319732&sort=chronological) she uses a Pono.

Whoa! Amanda did a Black Cab Session? I'm outta here. Got some video to watch.

HaileISela
02-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Whoa! Amanda did a Black Cab Session? I'm outta here. Got some video to watch.

Just saw the session that came before: Peter and the Wolf (http://blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1224749305&sort=chronological) and it comes with Baritone Ukulele!!!:shaka:

krabbers
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
i think she did ok , but needs to hold it better. i'm always better with a strap on