Does this Soprano Sound Right?

Kyle23

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I bought this Koloa solid mahogany like a year ago because I wanted a soprano. Turns out, I didn't really like playing it because it was so cramped up. I put it away for months and never picked it up until tonight. I was thinking of selling it and putting the money towards a tenor uke, but I wasn't sure if it sounded right or not. I don't want to sell anyone a uke that doesn't sound good. To me it sounds really low for a soprano or even a uke for that case. I don't have much experience with sopranos so I'm not really sure.

So is it safe to sell? I believe it's strung with worth browns. I can't exactly remember since I haven't played it in awhile, but I'm, 90% sure it is.

Yep, that's fine. That's what a soprano sounds like.

That's why people love the sound of mahogany. Myself included. It's a nice warm wood with lots of low end.

It sounds like a ukulele to me. Maybe try some other strings? Living Water, Worth, SouthCoast, etc.. etc.. If you do not love that ukulele, I think its ok to sell it and find the ukulele you love. As long as the ukuleles have someone to love and play it.

Hope you find a way to love it & happy strumming. :)

From a humble stranger..

yep, that's the best a koloa can ever sound:rolleyes:

Sounds like pretty decent tone and volume (always difficult to judge the latter on a video, though). A couple of the open chords sounded a touch off to me but that could be because you're not used to playing a soprano (it's easy to push soprano strings sideways and/or clamp them too hard to the fret board if you're used to a longer scale). Still, you might want to check the intonation at the first fret just to be sure. It wouldn't be uncommon for the nut to need a touch of attention - i.e. that wouldn't be a "defect" as such because many ukes in that price range need a little human intervention to be their best. On the plus side, if the intonation at the first fret checks good then that indicates a decent setup and you can say so when selling it.

John

If that's the best it can sound....get rid of it.

Try new strings (maybe Aquila). They may help. I try to never get decide about a uke until I do at least 1 string change.

BTW that is not how my soprano sounds.

Sounds pretty cool to me Kyle. Nice playing too mate.

yep, that's the best a koloa can ever sound:rolleyes:

If that's the best it can sound....get rid of it.

Ahhh...the two Steves...what are we gonna do with you guys... LOL

Seriously though...maybe a little harsh but I have to agree with the second sentiment if the first were really true. I don't think the first is really true, though. If he's not pushing the strings sideways then it sounds like a typical case of a high nut to me and that's really pretty easy to fix and just not that uncommon on many brands in that price bucket.

John

I don't think the first is really true, though.

John

You've never owned a Koloa, I see. There was an epic thread (more than one) about it in the past when Kyle was buying it. I agree with Jon, above, that Worth Browns not good for it. Aquilas likely best.

Stan knows.

Kyle, your playing is phenomenal for one year or so into it. Really strong stuff. You have put in a lot of hours. It shows.

(the only person I know that is that much of a savant is nongdam, who has been playing (eternally) for two years. (j/k, buddy)).

John, just enjoyed your five-string video. Great stuff, John! Now you got me thinking about one. lol I see the advantages. Thanks.

Last edited:
I agree that worth browns aren't gonna bring the best out of a uke like that. Get something livelier and sweeter on it. Some southcoast light-0mediums, or just some worth clears even. It'll give it a lift.

But I honestly don't see any issue with it. For a 100 buck uke it sounds fine to me.

Kyle, ukuleles and guitars in my experience do not like to be put away for months and not played. The need some TLP - tender loving playing - after taking them out of dormancy to make them sound their best. That being said go ahead and sell it with a clear conscience if you so wish.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Some might be a little rough, but I agree with them. I'll try some Aquilas on it and if it improves I'll just hang on to it.

You've never owned a Koloa, I see. There was an epic thread (more than one) about it in the past when Kyle was buying it. I agree with Jon, above, that Worth Browns not good for it. Aquilas likely best.

Stan knows.

Kyle, your playing is phenomenal for one year or so into it. Really strong stuff. You have put in a lot of hours. It shows.

(the only person I know that is that much of a savant is nongdam, who has been playing (eternally) for two years. (j/k, buddy)).

John, just enjoyed your five-string video. Great stuff, John! Now you got me thinking about one. lol I see the advantages. Thanks.

Thanks a lot! I've put in a crazy amount of time lol. I've been playing things out of my comfort zone recently and it's paying off.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Some might be a little rough, but I agree with them. I'll try some Aquilas on it and if it improves I'll just hang on to it.

Thanks a lot! I've put in a crazy amount of time lol. I've been playing things out of my comfort zone recently and it's paying off.

Nooooooo!!!!! Not Aquilas mate. Oh...well, do try the aquilas but don't judge any improvements or otherwise solely on that basis. Try some clear fluorocarbons too...

You nailed it there too Kyle: gently start to stretch out of your comfort zone. When the slope gets steeper and the challenge increases, that's when the improvement comes. Keep at it brother. You're playing is noticeably progressed and it's awesome to see and hear.

Nooooooo!!!!! Not Aquilas mate. Oh...well, do try the aquilas but don't judge any improvements or otherwise solely on that basis. Try some clear fluorocarbons too...

You nailed it there too Kyle: gently start to stretch out of your comfort zone. When the slope gets steeper and the challenge increases, that's when the improvement comes. Keep at it brother. You're playing is noticeably progressed and it's awesome to see and hear.

I seen a couple people say Aquilas, bit I'm pretty sure I tried them on this and didn't like them. It came with some black ones, can't remember the brand. Maybe D'adario, and then a very nice member on here sent me some Aquilas. I wasn't a fan and I tried the Worths and still wasn't a fan. It took my a second to remember that I actually tried the Aquilas on it and posted a sound sample on this forum too.

I did plateau on my playing for a few months, that might be why I slowed down and stopped playing. I just played songs I knew and didn't venture out very much. I really appreciate it though. I don't think the video I posted is a good representation of my skillset, but I still appreciate it!

You've never owned a Koloa, I see.

Ahh...no...I haven't... :embarrassed: However, I ain't met the uke yet that I couldn't tame with enough perseverance and frequent attacks with the nut and fret files! :biggrin: I guess you're saying that's 'cause I ain't met a Koloa, yet... LOL

Thanks. I hope nobody comes away from the review thinking it's not a good uke. There are so many inflated reviews here that when you do a balanced review of a decent but not perfect instrument you risk tainting it unintentionally.

John

Top Bottom