Looking for feedback on the Kala SLNG or SSLNG

kevlarian

Reaction score
Looking at one of these ukes to add to the stable. I don't know why, but I really like their look, and what little I have been able to play them... their sound seems pretty good too. I haven't seen the usual glut of YouTube reviews on either of these and thought I would reach out to the community of owners or "near" owners of either of these models for feedback...

UNIT-KA-SSLNG.jpg

FIKAJK-KA-SLNG-f (2).jpg

Attachments

• kamaka_hf-3ldc_140034-5.jpg
    kamaka_hf-3ldc_140034-5.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
They're Kala. Therefore, they're probably going to be the equal of everything else in their price range, and perhaps even a little bit better than some. If you like it, buy it :)

Incidentally, the small thumbnail you attached is a Kamaka. Not sure if I'm just pointing out the obvious or not.

I cant seem to remove the kamaka, I uploaded the wrong image, but cant seem to remove it from the attachments...

Well, you've sort of answered your own question :). If you like they way they look, feel, and sound, you seem to think they're good ukes!

But, if you're looking for another perspective, I agree with you. I recently helped a friend pick out her first uke. We went to a very good music store where they had a broad range from basic to high end, and just about everything on display was properly setup and playable. I thought the KA-SLNG stood out from other comparably-priced ukes and even from those in a somewhat higher price bracket. Yes, it's a laminate, but it's well-designed, well-built and surprisingly attractive for such a reasonably priced instrument. I also thing the soprano body/concert neck is a nice compromise for a beginner. It's my new recommendation for a budget-priced starter uke.

I have a SLNG, I just wanted something to have handy on the wall or on the coffee table. It's ok, nice looking, well built and sounds nice...not very loud compared to my 2 Martins. Have some Worth CLs on it now, not sure that's the string for it.
IMG_1569.jpg

I have had the SLNG and loved it. I now have the SSLNG and love it even more! You can't go wrong with either. Still my most playable uke for my hands. If you want to spend the extra $75 of so go for the spruce top.

I have a flamed maple longneck, Kala FMSLN, it's nice. The maple and spruce make for a really bright barky sound.

I just got one from Mim today. Anybody found strings that improve on the stock Aquilas - not that they are bad, just wondering.

Looking at one of these ukes to add to the stable. I don't know why, but I really like their look, and what little I have been able to play them... their sound seems pretty good too. I haven't seen the usual glut of YouTube reviews on either of these and thought I would reach out to the community of owners or "near" owners of either of these models for feedback...

View attachment 65317

View attachment 65315

ive owed 2 kalas.
I used to own a kala KA-S soprano and it was amazing (beat the hell out of the crappy lanikai lu21 soprano)
and now i own a kala pacific walnut concert and i love it. Kala in general i think is the best affordable uke brand out
there.

I just got one from Mim today. Anybody found strings that improve on the stock Aquilas - not that they are bad, just wondering.

its funny how aquillas were all the rage a few years back maybe even a year ago
and now people are realizing their too squeeky and too bright. I just ordered
oasis warm high G set for my kala concert, looking forward to trying them out.
I'm also a fan of worth and living water, i think aquilla improves the sound on cheap ukes
by making it sound clearer and louder but overall i think their too bright for my personal taste
i prefer something more mellow.

Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of Aquila. I prefer the feel of Southcoast and Living Water for example. I've heard two "nay" votes for Worth CL. I was just curious what others had tried and if any one found an "aha" set. FWIW, both Mim and Andrew at HMS recommend sticking with the Aquila - but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :p

yeah, I'll probably go back to Aquila on mine, actually...try the new Super Nylguts, maybe sound about the same, but they look cool!

Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of Aquila. I prefer the feel of Southcoast and Living Water for example. I've heard two "nay" votes for Worth CL. I was just curious what others had tried and if any one found an "aha" set. FWIW, both Mim and Andrew at HMS recommend sticking with the Aquila - but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :p

i have worth clears on my soprano their a bit to bright honestly.
Living water is the way to go for baritone, im still trying to find the perfect
string for my concert im giving these oasis warms a shot and see how it goes.

aquila make cheap ukes sound clear and loud and i get that their not bad strings they sound nice
their just to bright for me, i prefer just a mellow/smooth sound and i find the bright /plinky of aquilla
to be to harsh and not right for the music i write.

OK I know I'm picking up an older post here, but after coming to the conclusion that I could not justify buying a Martin soprano and wanting to try something with a little more room on the neck while not sacrificing the soprano tone, I just ordered a Kala SSLNG long neck Soprano Solid Spruce top model, also from MIM's. I see by your signature you have since sold your laminate top mahogany longneck soprano. Oddly enough your "once upon a time" list have a few models I was looking at one time or another :) . Maybe I should wait for you to buy something and then you can sell it to me later when you tire of it , ha ha!

There was a suggestion to form a subculture called the "Soprano Longneck User Group". The acronym of course would be a SLUG. One of MIM's customers made that suggestion and I think it is brilliant! :D

In response to the original post - I enjoy mine for what it is. I have the mahogony one. I've gota bag for it, but I'll throw it in my backpack on quick travel excursions. For the money they're pretty nice, and I don't have to worry about beating it up too much! I've only had Aquilas on it, but I am going to buy a ton of new strings to try on all my ukes in the coming months and see how it changes their sound.

I've had the mahogany SLNG uke for a little over a year. My daughter finally declared that it was hers just the other day. Great uke. Best strings I found for it were D'Addario Nyltech. I tried a ton of strings. Changed them every 3 months. The Nyltechs just sounded the best to my ears. Strings are definitely a personal thing so try a bunch before you settle on one.

Kurt

Top Bottom