PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on the Kala SLNG or SSLNG

kevlarian
03-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Looking at one of these ukes to add to the stable. I don't know why, but I really like their look, and what little I have been able to play them... their sound seems pretty good too. I haven't seen the usual glut of YouTube reviews on either of these and thought I would reach out to the community of owners or "near" owners of either of these models for feedback...

The Big Kahuna
03-29-2014, 06:34 AM
They're Kala. Therefore, they're probably going to be the equal of everything else in their price range, and perhaps even a little bit better than some. If you like it, buy it :)

The Big Kahuna
03-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Incidentally, the small thumbnail you attached is a Kamaka. Not sure if I'm just pointing out the obvious or not.

kevlarian
03-29-2014, 06:39 AM
I cant seem to remove the kamaka, I uploaded the wrong image, but cant seem to remove it from the attachments...

RichM
03-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Well, you've sort of answered your own question :). If you like they way they look, feel, and sound, you seem to think they're good ukes!

But, if you're looking for another perspective, I agree with you. I recently helped a friend pick out her first uke. We went to a very good music store where they had a broad range from basic to high end, and just about everything on display was properly setup and playable. I thought the KA-SLNG stood out from other comparably-priced ukes and even from those in a somewhat higher price bracket. Yes, it's a laminate, but it's well-designed, well-built and surprisingly attractive for such a reasonably priced instrument. I also thing the soprano body/concert neck is a nice compromise for a beginner. It's my new recommendation for a budget-priced starter uke.

UkerDanno
03-29-2014, 09:24 AM
I have a SLNG, I just wanted something to have handy on the wall or on the coffee table. It's ok, nice looking, well built and sounds nice...not very loud compared to my 2 Martins. Have some Worth CLs on it now, not sure that's the string for it.

ukemunga
03-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I have had the SLNG and loved it. I now have the SSLNG and love it even more! You can't go wrong with either. Still my most playable uke for my hands. If you want to spend the extra $75 of so go for the spruce top.

UKEonomics
03-29-2014, 10:48 AM
I should have an SSLNG coming my way in a week or so...planning on a review immediately after I get it. If you're like me though, it's hard to wait that long when you REALLY want a uke. :)

savagehenry
03-30-2014, 04:23 AM
I have a flamed maple longneck, Kala FMSLN, it's nice. The maple and spruce make for a really bright barky sound.

Kyle23
03-30-2014, 04:25 AM
I've heard good things. Go for it!

Jim Hanks
06-20-2014, 03:12 PM
I just got one from Mim today. Anybody found strings that improve on the stock Aquilas - not that they are bad, just wondering.

iamesperambient
06-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Looking at one of these ukes to add to the stable. I don't know why, but I really like their look, and what little I have been able to play them... their sound seems pretty good too. I haven't seen the usual glut of YouTube reviews on either of these and thought I would reach out to the community of owners or "near" owners of either of these models for feedback...

ive owed 2 kalas.
I used to own a kala KA-S soprano and it was amazing (beat the hell out of the crappy lanikai lu21 soprano)
and now i own a kala pacific walnut concert and i love it. Kala in general i think is the best affordable uke brand out
there.

iamesperambient
06-20-2014, 03:15 PM
I just got one from Mim today. Anybody found strings that improve on the stock Aquilas - not that they are bad, just wondering.

its funny how aquillas were all the rage a few years back maybe even a year ago
and now people are realizing their too squeeky and too bright. I just ordered
oasis warm high G set for my kala concert, looking forward to trying them out.
I'm also a fan of worth and living water, i think aquilla improves the sound on cheap ukes
by making it sound clearer and louder but overall i think their too bright for my personal taste
i prefer something more mellow.

Jim Hanks
06-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of Aquila. I prefer the feel of Southcoast and Living Water for example. I've heard two "nay" votes for Worth CL. I was just curious what others had tried and if any one found an "aha" set. FWIW, both Mim and Andrew at HMS recommend sticking with the Aquila - but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :p

UkerDanno
06-20-2014, 05:29 PM
yeah, I'll probably go back to Aquila on mine, actually...try the new Super Nylguts, maybe sound about the same, but they look cool!

iamesperambient
06-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of Aquila. I prefer the feel of Southcoast and Living Water for example. I've heard two "nay" votes for Worth CL. I was just curious what others had tried and if any one found an "aha" set. FWIW, both Mim and Andrew at HMS recommend sticking with the Aquila - but I'm not one to leave well enough alone. :p

i have worth clears on my soprano their a bit to bright honestly.
Living water is the way to go for baritone, im still trying to find the perfect
string for my concert im giving these oasis warms a shot and see how it goes.

iamesperambient
06-20-2014, 07:21 PM

aquila make cheap ukes sound clear and loud and i get that their not bad strings they sound nice
their just to bright for me, i prefer just a mellow/smooth sound and i find the bright /plinky of aquilla
to be to harsh and not right for the music i write.

ukuleleden
10-26-2015, 06:42 AM

OK I know I'm picking up an older post here, but after coming to the conclusion that I could not justify buying a Martin soprano and wanting to try something with a little more room on the neck while not sacrificing the soprano tone, I just ordered a Kala SSLNG long neck Soprano Solid Spruce top model, also from MIM's. I see by your signature you have since sold your laminate top mahogany longneck soprano. Oddly enough your "once upon a time" list have a few models I was looking at one time or another :-) . Maybe I should wait for you to buy something and then you can sell it to me later when you tire of it , ha ha!

There was a suggestion to form a subculture called the "Soprano Longneck User Group". The acronym of course would be a SLUG. One of MIM's customers made that suggestion and I think it is brilliant! :D

MickeyD
10-26-2015, 07:15 AM
In response to the original post - I enjoy mine for what it is. I have the mahogony one. I've gota bag for it, but I'll throw it in my backpack on quick travel excursions. For the money they're pretty nice, and I don't have to worry about beating it up too much! I've only had Aquilas on it, but I am going to buy a ton of new strings to try on all my ukes in the coming months and see how it changes their sound.

kdmccullum
10-26-2015, 08:10 AM
I've had the mahogany SLNG uke for a little over a year. My daughter finally declared that it was hers just the other day. Great uke. Best strings I found for it were D'Addario Nyltech. I tried a ton of strings. Changed them every 3 months. The Nyltechs just sounded the best to my ears. Strings are definitely a personal thing so try a bunch before you settle on one.

Kurt

Jim Hanks
10-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I just ordered a Kala SSLNG long neck Soprano Solid Spruce top model, also from MIM's. I see by your signature you have since sold your laminate top mahogany longneck soprano. Oddly enough your "once upon a time" list have a few models I was looking at one time or another :-) . Maybe I should wait for you to buy something and then you can sell it to me later when you tire of it , ha ha!
I predict you will love it. I only sold mine after I got the KPK longneck that I liked better due to the slightly longer scale (15.5 vs 14.7 IIRC) and I'm not one to keep "redundant" ukes. I still recommend it to folks asking for the best $100 uke.

If you're interested in the Ohana tenor or the tenor banjolele, let me know. :shaka:

ukuleleden
10-26-2015, 01:37 PM
I predict you will love it. I only sold mine after I got the KPK longneck that I liked better due to the slightly longer scale (15.5 vs 14.7 IIRC) and I'm not one to keep "redundant" ukes. I still recommend it to folks asking for the best $100 uke.

If you're interested in the Ohana tenor or the tenor banjolele, let me know. :shaka:

Looking forward to it! I have had nothing but good luck with my Kala uke sand the ones I received from both MIM's and HWS were perfectly set-up. I'm hoping to be playing the SSLNG by the weekend.

I have enough Tenors at the moment to keep me content, but thanks for thinking of me...

ukuleleden
10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I've had the mahogany SLNG uke for a little over a year. My daughter finally declared that it was hers just the other day. Great uke. Best strings I found for it were D'Addario Nyltech. I tried a ton of strings. Changed them every 3 months. The Nyltechs just sounded the best to my ears. Strings are definitely a personal thing so try a bunch before you settle on one.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! Will definitely experiment with a few different sets...

Croaky Keith
01-21-2016, 05:16 AM
I have two Kala ukes - a KA-SEME & a KA-SLNG, & I like them both, though I haven't had either very long.

I like the soprano size because it can be played whilst sitting comfortably in a chair, & my fingers like the concert scale neck. :)

La Perdrix
01-21-2016, 05:59 AM
I love mine, here is a little french review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08wqF_J-zk

ukinator
01-22-2016, 02:08 AM
I have the Mahogany SLNG and think it's great.... been thinking about the SSLNG and wondering if it would be even "better". I have a cheapy Stagg soprano with a solid spruce top and really actually like the sound characteristics of that one in many ways. With that in mind.. and knowing what I like from the guitar world, I would expect the SSLNG to have a bit more clarity and sustain than the SLNG. It's a bit ridiculous since I really like the one I have, but the grass is always greener....

Croaky Keith
01-22-2016, 02:56 AM
I have the Mahogany SLNG and think it's great.... been thinking about the SSLNG and wondering if it would be even "better"

The SSLNG will likely be my next UAS purchase, it is supposed to have better/clearer sound, especially for finger picking work.

ukinator
01-22-2016, 03:41 AM
That is exactly what my wife did NOT want me to hear...