16 fret Soprano

Timbuck

Reaction score
I wonder how Soprano players will like this....I had three Soprano sets of Honduran Mahogany with an annoying single Knot..It was a shame to scrap the Knotty parts so I juggled the wood sets around so I could cover the defects with a 17 fret fingerboard extension...But! the fingerboard blanks were just a bit too short to get 17 frets, so I've made them 16 frets instead:)...Will this bother Soprano players much?...How many play up there anyway?.;)
Here is a couple of pics to show what I'm on about.

Last edited:
Looks fine, no worries. I'd go with it, sometimes ya gotta make lemonade !

It is a great solution Ken. Whoever buys it will know what they are getting, and the label will be proof enough of the quality of the job.
Max

That looks great to me, Ken. I never play above the tenth fret, and that very rarely. In fact I made a uke with only ten frets, and it works fine. More is good, but not strictly necessary.

John Colter.

Looks nice to me design-wise. I'd never guess you were missing a 17th fret there

That uke looks great.

I make it up to about the tenth fret on a regular basis on my soprano. The twelfth fret gets regular, but less frequent, use as well. I only make it up to higher frets (my main soprano's got 15 of 'em) occasionally. The plinkiness level all the way up there is pretty amazing.

I think it looks great. Every now and then I get to the twelfth and sometimes up to fifteen. This is more than enough ;)

Thanks for the interest in my ten fret oddity, Julie. I don't want to hijack Ken's thread, so I'll start a new one.

John Colter.

First one of the 16 fret ukes completed

The first one of these three 16 fret job sopranos is ready for a new owner...So I made a video of it with a sound sample on the iPad4...the video came to an abrupt end when the iPad4 fell off the shelf Hit the floor and it went dead...I thought it was a gonner ...But! It came back on again later but with no sound :(..However I held down the two buttons on it for about 30 seconds and it re-booted itself and all was well again (good old Apple)....Here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwr0DHj5im0

Last edited:
Nice uke Ken. I wouldn't take the iPad's suicide bid as a musical criticism. I think it's just hinting that it wants you to design a Timbuck Special iPad holder.
Miguel

Nice uke Ken. I wouldn't take the iPad's suicide bid as a musical criticism. I think it's just hinting that it wants you to design a Timbuck Special iPad holder.
Miguel
To get the iPad at the correct angle on the shelf, I held it in place with some masking tape :)...I didn't realise that the iPad screen gets warmer the longer it's in use.....This is what caused the tape to release....And the iPad came crashing down.....So! a holder/ bracket is on the menu for next time.;)

IMG_0027.jpg
Hi Ken. Looks fine to me. This is what I came up with to cover a dent in a sound board after dropping a steel rule on it. Who cares if people don't play up there. you will have created some more fine instruments by doing it.

To get the iPad at the correct angle on the shelf, I held it in place with some masking tape :)...I didn't realise that the iPad screen gets warmer the longer it's in use.....This is what caused the tape to release....And the iPad came crashing down.....So! a holder/ bracket is on the menu for next time.;)

My mate Micheal just built a holder for his iPhone to video setups by making a bracket that fit an old microphone stand. Works a treat. He holds the phone to the bracket with elastic bands. Simple and low tech.

My mate Micheal just built a holder for his iPhone to video setups by making a bracket that fit an old microphone stand. Works a treat. He holds the phone to the bracket with elastic bands. Simple and low tech.
Thats a good idea Allen..But too late ..I already got myself one of these :)

Top Bottom