PDA

View Full Version : 111th Season of the Ukulele

Pages : [1] 2

mattydee
03-29-2014, 06:38 PM
1 H1t 1-ders! (One-Hit Wonders!)

http://youtu.be/C0MioRuEb7g

Welcome, cats, and kittens, to the 111th Season of the Ukulele!

This week's challenge is to cover a song that made an act a one-hit wonder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-hit_wonder), that single song that got a band onto the Billboard Top 40, but was a success they were never to repeat. This rule can sometimes allow for some weird inconsistencies. An act like A-ha, known for their mega hit Take On Me, is often referred to as a one-hit wonder, even though they had another top 20 hit which was so overshadowed by the first that I can't name it now. Conversely, acts like Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and the Greatful Dead, all hugely successful and influential, only hit the Top 40 once, so they technically count even though no one in their right mind would refer to them as one-hit wonders.

For me, the spirit of the challenge is to keep it to bands really only known for the single song. So, A-Ha is in, but Jimi and Janis are not. Your guiding principle should be: if you are surprised to learn an act is a one-hit wonder, then look elsewhere. If you are surprised to learn an act had a second, completely unrecognizable hit, then they are fair game.

Being one-hit wonder week means you get 1 shot. 1 official entry. Your official entry should be the hit that made the band, BUT you will get bonus points for every additional song you do by the same band. If you are one of the more prolific seasonistas, rather than firing off a ton of one hit wonders, once you choose a song/band, stick with 'em, please and fill out the back catalog, or send it to the island (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas). That said, if you are one of the practice all week seasonistas and someone gets to your song first, don't worry. Do it anyway. Collaborations to help fill out the back catalog are greatly encouraged. :cool:

There will be three playlists:

1. One Hit Wonders: The hit that made the act. (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8zT5CZ7TVtoxx41UeQDF_Aa)

2. The Back Catalog (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8xRZ8R5tN1R4cFrHOiu4Um0)

3. Just for fun, and to give you all something else to do, songs that were number 1 when you were 11 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8wcRmkQcOhO9nrsdZDzifVS).

Prizes are yet to be determined...

Fine Print:
Single continuous take
No Multi-tracking
Uke Front and Center
New for this season -- Please announce Season 111 or something similar.
Starts 12:00am Hawaiian Sunday March 30.
Ends 11:59pm Hawaiian Sunday April 6.

Concertina
03-29-2014, 06:42 PM
I love this theme...

Mostly because one of the number one songs when I was 11 was "I'm Too Sexy"...so that fits both criteria LOL

I am totally not doing "I'm Too Sexy"...

mattydee
03-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Mostly because one of the number one songs when I was 11 was "I'm Too Sexy"...so that fits both criteria LOL

Whoa - that didn't even occur to me. That would be like a super double secret bonus. Or something.

I really think you should do it. ;)

Concertina
03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
HAHA Nope.

I'm doing real and proper research. I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHXzmXlwhw
I can't handle life right now.
Also, I want to watch American Werewolf in London.

I also discovered that "Baby Got Back" was top the year I was 11...and true story...I sing it opera style around work. Just to make my staff think I'm crazy. (I am.)

(I am also not doing "Baby Got Back".)

mattydee
03-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Now you're just toying with me.

29moons
03-29-2014, 07:13 PM
This is funny! I heard "Hot Child In The City" today and thought that would be a great uke cover. I just checked songs that were #1 when I was 11 (1978) and guess what was there? What a cowinikidink!

myrnaukelele
03-29-2014, 07:25 PM
I just typed One Hit Wonders and a date into Google and found a great site. Over 1200 one hit wonders by year from the 1960s on.
http://tunecaster.com/one-hit-wonder.html

RichM
03-29-2014, 07:28 PM

Yes you are. I'm sorry, but this decision is out of your hands. You're doing it.

UkeCan1
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Like the other earlybirds here, I too am the type of overachiever who feels I really ought to do a one-hit wonder from my 11th year. Alas, the only non-goofy one that fits both criteria is the quite wonderful "Rock the Boat" by the Hues Corporation. So why then is that a problem? Blast it ... I already did that one! For BEV's disco Season.

I am totally NOT doing "Seasons in the Sun", "Billy Don't Be a Hero", or "The Morning After". No, I am not, Matty. Don't ask me.

I would totally do "TSOP" if I had the skills. But I don't. Or the "ooga-chugga" song, but Blue Swede had other hits. Or "Delta Dawn", but, you know, Helen Reddy. She had that other big hit.

So bummed about "Rock the Boat".

I don't know ... maybe I can do something with "The Morning After" ... ya think? It's from my 11th birthday week, after all. And "The Poseidon Adventure". So ... maybe.

Hmmm. "Brother Louie" is "Louie, Louie, Louie, Lou-eeeee" ... hmmm ... maybe. Seems there are some possibilities. I shall sleep on it.

UkeCan1
03-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Yes you are. I'm sorry, but this decision is out of your hands. You're doing it.

I would totally second that. Except then I might have to do "Seasons in the Sun".

bird's eye view of my ukelele
03-29-2014, 08:02 PM
ooh great theme but man that tunecaster link - this is contentious, could cause fights and fisticuffs - aha, sinead o'connor, one hit wonders, really??????????? :eek:

pabrizzer
03-29-2014, 09:15 PM
ooh great theme but man that tunecaster link - this is contentious, could cause fights and fisticuffs - aha, sinead o'connor, one hit wonders, really??????????? :eek:

I think it is all about what listed on the "official" top 40 charts. Who knows? I see Midnight Oil is listed for Beds Are Burning. :mad:
I have heaps of their CDs and they did VERY WELL out of the music industry without ever selling out.

It is a pretty shallow classification of music and its worth that means very little (except maybe $$) IMHO.

Still have one ready to go though.:)

03-29-2014, 09:20 PM
lol! oh i wish i did! gotta switch off my indignation and switch ON my investigation ;)

mythinformed
03-29-2014, 10:06 PM
A connection from 110th season .......... 'Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs' was a one hit wonder for Brian and Michael and the uncredited backing vocals on that track were performed by St. Winifred's School Choir who went on to become one-hit wonders in their own right with "There's No-one Quite Like Grandma" ..................do you think those pesky kids were a jinx ???? Lol

ukuloonie
03-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Ahhhhhhhh that song from my youth 'That's no-one quite like grandma':eek:
it still rings in my head and it will never come out.

RAB11
03-29-2014, 11:36 PM
So it turns out the number 1 song in the UK on my 11th birthday was by Girls Aloud. So that's not gonna happen. However, I was living in Sydney at the time and the number 1 there was Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' which happens to be one of the few Eminem songs I like.

Would Simple Minds count as a one-hit wonder? They've had other chart songs but they're mainly known for ' Don't You'. Similar to A-Ha.

Tootler
03-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Can we cover one hit wonders in our own countries rather than specifically the Billboard chart?

I suspect you'll get some anyway.

mythinformed
03-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhh that song from my youth 'That's no-one quite like grandma':eek:
it still rings in my head and it will never come out.

Lol Its one of those Clive Dunn(pass me the bucket I'm gonna be sick) sentimental type 'Grandad' toons...........give me Joe Dolces 'Shaddap You Face' any day of the week !! ;)

redpaul1
03-30-2014, 12:29 AM
I love this theme...

Whoa - that didn't even occur to me. That would be like a super double secret bonus. Or something.

I really think you should do it. ;)

Ah - woah there Redders! I was just about go "No! Right Said Fred had a string of hits! Including at least one other #1!" - then I remembered "Billboard Top 40." Hmmm. This Season's not going to be as
simple as I thought :)

Shady Wilbury
03-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Great Season, Matty! I'm really pleased, because a song I wanted to do for Season 109, but later discovered it was written by a man, will fit perfectly here. :)

pabrizzer
03-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Under the Milky Way Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wfXvcLzI8
The Church

xommen
03-30-2014, 01:55 AM
This is Flood by Jars of Clay, a band that made/makes lots of great songs, but this was their only big hit in the "regular" charts.

http://youtu.be/9WJXg4cQtOY

greenie44
03-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Oh, what a great theme! I really love one-hit wonders, and know/have done many of them. The lack of multi-tracking takes away some of them, but I think I have a good one to do as soon as the house wakes up here.

decaturcomp
03-30-2014, 03:13 AM
I agree with Pa and BEV about the potential for bloodshed over the decisions of the 'top 40' folks. In the (myopic self important) States we never had a Paul Kelly hit or one by Ciff Edwards, except maybe one that was a duet with Elton John I think - not even the Young One's theme - he did that, right? I remember buying Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8..etc and being gobsmacked by their originality and integrity, the next record had their "only hit" in the states which was a great song but I can't believe they weren't at least as big as the Jam or the Clash (Oh...good "one hit" band over here, too well, one and a half for "Should I stay, or...,!) or REM.

But, in the spirit of the game I accept the limitations as always before breaking the rules don't you??

Luvely theme Matty, TIA.

UkeCan1
03-30-2014, 03:19 AM
Clarification:
Matty said specifically it is NOT about the Billboard charts ... it's more about feel, I'd say he meant. He said specifically there are groups that are known for multiple "hits", even if some of those songs never charted (he mentioned Joplin, Jimi, and the Grateful Dead, all of whom apparently had only one chart hit, but obviously would not "count"), and conversely, there are groups known for one hit only (he mentioned A-ha and even Vanilla Ice), even though they had other, unmemorable, songs that also charted.

Also, clearly, what's a one-hit wonder to you depends on where you're from. Pa mentions Midnight Oil, a major band in Australia with a long string of hits, but only one song apparently known in the US. So, us Yanks (well, not us who are also Aussies and lived there in the first half of the '90's) might think of them as a one-hit wonder, while they, ya know, did pretty well at home.

Also, "Matchstalk Men" was not even heard of here, so those guys are a one-hit wonder in the UK and are completely unknown over here. As they say, YMMV.

I think Matty said pretty clearly, it's all about who's a one-hit wonder from your perspective.

And, yeah, I imagine we will not all agree about a lot of these! Let the arm wrestling begin. :)

xommen
03-30-2014, 03:28 AM
This is another Jars of Clay song for the back catalog list that I really like it's called Loneliness and alcohol. For a great introduction to this fabulous band, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IJONebV0fs

http://youtu.be/TcTsRz-VIQ4

Tootler
03-30-2014, 03:42 AM
Clarification:
Matty said specifically it is NOT about the Billboard charts ... it's more about feel, I'd say he meant. He said specifically there are groups that are known for multiple "hits", even if some of those songs never charted (he mentioned Joplin, Jimi, and the Grateful Dead, all of whom apparently had only one chart hit, but obviously would not "count"), and conversely, there are groups known for one hit only (he mentioned A-ha and even Vanilla Ice), even though they had other, unmemorable, songs that also charted.

Also, clearly, what's a one-hit wonder to you depends on where you're from. Pa mentions Midnight Oil, a major band in Australia with a long string of hits, but only one song apparently known in the US. So, us Yanks (well, not us who are also Aussies and lived there in the first half of the '90's) might think of them as a one-hit wonder, while they, ya know, did pretty well at home.

Also, "Matchstalk Men" was not even heard of here, so those guys are a one-hit wonder in the UK and are completely unknown over here. As they say, YMMV.

I think Matty said pretty clearly, it's all about who's a one-hit wonder from your perspective.

And, yeah, I imagine we will not all agree about a lot of these! Let the arm wrestling begin. :)

Fine, Wendy.

I know that seasons rules tend to be "open to interpretation" but I think some clarification from Matty himself would be helpful.

UkeCan1
03-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Fine, Wendy.

I know that seasons rules tend to be "open to interpretation" but I think some clarification from Matty himself would be helpful.

For sure. Nevertheless, if you read his post and watch his video, I think he said quite clearly it is expressly not about a strict reading of the Billboard charts. He gave some very clear examples, which I quoted in my post.

We might want some clarification on some other points, like the geographic issue.

But I think on that one point, about the Billboard charts not being the criterion, he was quite clear, and some of the other posts on the subject were going down a tunnel he intended for us to avoid. Thereby opening up whole other cans of worms instead. :)

Upon which it is fun to speculate until he gets here. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/images/smilies/smile.png

pabrizzer
03-30-2014, 04:12 AM
1 H1t 1-ders! (One-Hit Wonders!)
This week's challenge is to cover a song that made an act a one-hit wonder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-hit_wonder), that single song that got a band onto the Billboard Top 40, but was a success they were never to repeat.

mattydee
03-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Oh, this is something that think is a bit clearer in the video... Anyway, Wendy's got it. Your guiding principle should be: if you are surprised to learn an act is a one-hit wonder, then look elsewhere. If you are surprised to learn an act had a second, completely unrecognizable hit, then they are fair game. Regional hits will, of course, vary. One hit wonders here may be multi chart toppers there and vice versa. You can dig deeper into that if you want, or just have fun with your own regional wonders.

So.

1. Don't worry about a strict Billboard interpretation. I would definitely take Friday by Rebecca Black, for example.

2. Do do songs from your own country if you like. Or stick to American charts. Matters not.

3. Concertina is doing a Baby Got Back/I'm Too Sexy mash-up...

Well, if she's not, someone should.

UkeyDave
03-30-2014, 04:32 AM
I've just this morning recorded and posted THIS to Season 110 AND I reckon it qualifies for Season 111 too.
"If" was a ONE HIT WONDER for Telly Savalas and my version is based on this one as it is a spoken version too. IS THIS A UNIQUE ENTRY. Recorded and posted when both seasons available and also qualifying for both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdeWQDNS6Lk
Ah I guess after thinking about it, it DOESN'T qualify because it doesn't mention Season 111.
OK back to the drawing board. I'm sure I'll find one pretty easily none the less. :-)

CeeJay
03-30-2014, 04:57 AM
I just typed One Hit Wonders and a date into Google and found a great site. Over 1200 one hit wonders by year from the 1960s on.
http://tunecaster.com/one-hit-wonder.html

Yup, good call Myrna ...there is loads to be mined here .........or should that be "lodes" ?

mattydee
03-30-2014, 05:39 AM
I've just this morning recorded and posted THIS to Season 110 AND I reckon it qualifies for Season 111 too.
"If" was a ONE HIT WONDER for Telly Savalas and my version is based on this one as it is a spoken version too. IS THIS A UNIQUE ENTRY. Recorded and posted when both seasons available and also qualifying for both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdeWQDNS6Lk

Ah I guess after thinking about it, it DOESN'T qualify because it doesn't mention Season 111.
OK back to the drawing board. I'm sure I'll find one pretty easily none the less. :-)

If you had really considered it for both Seasons, I would too, but it seems like happenstance, which kind of takes the fun out of it. That said, this is pretty awesome. I bet you'll find something else, though...

mattydee
03-30-2014, 05:44 AM
pabrizzer: Under The Milky Way Tonight - The Church: I always love waking up to a Pa video! Expressive play and a mellow vocal really work well together here. Love those hammer-ons.

xommen: Flood - Jars of Clay: This is really lovely, Wim! I love the driving strum behind the plaintive vocal. The video effects on the single take are really effective, too. It feels very professional. Really great work here. One of your best.

xommen: Loneliness and Alcohol - Jar The Void: This is another good one Wim! Thanks for jumping in to fill out the Back Catalog so quick out of the gate!

mattydee
03-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Playlists are now live in the first post. (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94489-111th-Season-of-the-Ukulele&p=1501033#post1501033)

mattydee
03-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Would Simple Minds count as a one-hit wonder? They've had other chart songs but they're mainly known for ' Don't You'. Similar to A-Ha.

I would totally count Simple Minds as a One-hit Wonder. Others might disagree.

Ah - woah there Redders! I was just about go "No! Right Said Fred had a string of hits! Including at least one other #1!" - then I remembered "Billboard Top 40." Hmmm. This Season's not going to be as
simple as I thought :)

This, I think is a perfect example of different charts in different countries. Most Yanks would laugh you out of the room for suggesting Right Said Fred wasn't a one-hit wonder.

I know that there is contention here. Again, let your instinct (and indignation) guide you.

chrimess
03-30-2014, 06:28 AM
Hi Pa,
I'd definitely agree-the One Hit Wonder classification for Midnight Oil and AHA represents a very narrow-minded US focus.
In fact, 80 percent of the country artists grossing millions in this country are virtually unheard of in Europe.

I think it is all about what listed on the "official" top 40 charts. Who knows? I see Midnight Oil is listed for Beds Are Burning. :mad:
I have heaps of their CDs and they did VERY WELL out of the music industry without ever selling out.

It is a pretty shallow classification of music and its worth that means very little (except maybe $$) IMHO.

ukuleledaddy
03-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Christian (Chrimess)! Get in here and do a song! We're Not Gonna Take It perhaps?

Tootler
03-30-2014, 08:18 AM
This Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_hit_wonders) has "top 10" lists for various countries plus links to more extensive lists.

Tootler
03-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Yup, good call Myrna ...there is loads to be mined here .........or should that be "lodes" ?

CeeJay, check this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_Kingdom) out for UK one hit wonders

UkeCan1
03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
This is in the same "happenstance" dual-Season category as UkeyDave's. My friend Cecilia and I have been planning this song for days for S110. But Kristin Andreassen is a sort of one-hit wonder ... at least so far. She's still young and active, and hopefully will have more and bigger hits. (Plus I'm not sure how well known this song even is ... but it's a hit in at least a limited sphere.)

But more importantly, since many of you have moved on to S111 from S110, I want to make sure you don't miss Cecilia's Big Debut. Because she rocks, and I hope to see her make many more videos.

Especially since she's considering picking up a uke ... so please encourage her!

http://youtu.be/W4bHece3EqA

My "real" entry to come. Probably next Sunday.

Cornfield
03-30-2014, 09:21 AM
http://youtu.be/4Uhavj3hrtg

This was a one hit wonder in 1961, the year I turned 11

lelouden
03-30-2014, 09:31 AM
"One Hit Wonders".1990 the year I was 11. "In the Summertime" is the debut single by British band Mungo Jerry. Written by lead singer Ray Dorset, it celebrates the carefree days of summer. It reached number one in charts around the world (including seven weeks in the UK, two weeks in Canada) and number three on the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the US. It is considered one of the best-selling singles of all time with an estimated 30 million copies sold.

This is it for me. I'm off to Utah to help with my 11th grand baby coming this week!

In The Summertime~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6UHi9IJlI&feature=youtu.be

UkeCan1
03-30-2014, 09:53 AM
"One Hit Wonders".1990 the year I was 11. "In the Summertime" is the debut single by British band Mungo Jerry. Written by lead singer Ray Dorset, it celebrates the carefree days of summer. It reached number one in charts around the world (including seven weeks in the UK, two weeks in Canada) and number three on the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the US. It is considered one of the best-selling singles of all time with an estimated 30 million copies sold.

This is it for me. I'm off to Utah to help with my 11th grand baby coming this week!

11 grandchildren at only 35 years old - very impressive, Ms. Louden! :)

UkeyDave
03-30-2014, 10:54 AM

In The Summertime~

Loving your maths. Loving your sound effects and loving the whole shebang. Great one Linda. Are you sure about 1990? lol

lelouden
03-30-2014, 11:14 AM

In The Summertime~

OK I am 35 but I was 11 in 1970. Im going on no sleep and when you have 20 "35th" birthdays you get really confused:)
Ok HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1970s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States) is the link to the top one hit wonders in 1970! the year I turned 11.

Tootler
03-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I was 11 during the 1950s so I had a look at that decade. There was no UK one hit wonder the year I was 11 but this one was a No. 5 hit in the USA and a No. 1 Hit in the UK in 1958 for the Kalin Twins.

I remembered it when I saw the title and when I listened on You Tube, I was reminded of the sax riff which I really liked so I had to capture it.

http://youtu.be/o4UMIBurNS8

The number one on my 11th birthday was a pretty unmemorable Christmas record but in the weeks either side was one of the biggest RnR records of all time, so at the end of the week when I am back from granddaughter duties, I shall be rocking :smileybounce: :music:

Tootler
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Very true, but it's still interesting to look through those lists. There's a great deal of dross, but among them quite a few gems and it makes for an interesting theme.

Yours was one of them, btw. That was an excellent song you chose & a great version.

greenie44
03-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I just love this category. I have always had enormous respect for the almost mystical convergence that results in the One Hit Wonder - the stars align in mysterious ways. There are so many I love, many of which I have done in audio recordings and earlier Seasons. (And I am working on some more now too).

I found this one looking at some of the years listed in that handy link and I knew I had to do it. Back in the old days - you know, before the Internet - I once spent months looking for either a single of this record or a collection that had it. Now it's easy, but the tune is still great.

The prohibition on multi-tracking doused some of my normal fire for a recording, but I ended up getting some back up groups and put them in with a chroma-key effect in my new video editing tool. I got the original performers of the track - The (fabulous) Exciters - and, in a guest appearance, the Animals. Hope you all like it.

http://youtu.be/_U8hfsR6SFc

thesillydave
03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
great theme matty! here's the first of probably many...a richard cheese remix of sir mix-a-lot's baby got back!

http://youtu.be/5UR83ig6znA
hope you enjoy!
cheers!

uke4ia
03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBqBIYxfafg

This is the Split Enz song "I Got You". They were a New Zealand band that peaked during the New Wave era. Neil Finn, who wrote and sang this song, later went on to start Crowded House. They were big in Australia, so to Pa and Jon they're probably not a one-hit wonder.

"I Got You" only got as high as #53 in the U.S., but it got a fair amount of radio play on stations that played New Wave. It got to #12 in the U.K. But according to Wikipedia, "The song reached No. 1 in Australia on 14 April and remained there for eight weeks, going on to become the second highest-selling single for the year after Joe Dolce's "Shaddup You Face". " That's the second "Shaddup You Face" reference already this Season!

I had to lower the uke's tuning a whole tone so I could sing the high notes. The tuning of the G string (or F in this case) started to drift a little during this take. By the way, I like how the thumbnail for this video makes it look like my hand is on backwards.

redpaul1
03-30-2014, 02:36 PM
This [Right Said Fred], I think is a perfect example of different charts in different countries. Most Yanks would laugh you out of the room for suggesting Right Said Fred wasn't a one-hit wonder.

Now that Matty's further explained the rubric for this Season, I think it's going to be fascinating discovering which well-known domestic bands are considered one-hit wonders elsewhere. Mungo Jerry for example had, between 1970 and 1974, 8 UK Top 40 hits, including 6 Top 20 hits and 2 #1's.
Or take Robbie Williams for example (Please!! Thank you Henny Youngman and goodnight ed.). Here in the UK, he has an £80 million record deal, plays to crowds of over 100,000 at Knebworth, headlines Glastonbury; and yet the young folk of an American persuasion with whom I'm acquainted laugh at the mere mention of his name.

Are the Scissor Sisters as big in the US as they are here in Blighty?
P.J. Proby?

So what could be really great, when you're looking for one-hit wonders, would be to look for a 'foreign' one-hit wonder - and then sit back and watch the "One-hit wonder?!! Wha?!!!" comments roll in. :)

Oh, and I'd imagine that 80% of the country artists grossing millions in the US are virtually unheard of in NYC as well :)

CeeJay
03-30-2014, 02:46 PM
"Oh, and I'd imagine that 80% of the country artists grossing millions in the US are virtually unheard of in NYC as well"

Well , to be fair ,the County of North Yorkshire's not huge on Country and Western .................................................. ....

lelouden
03-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Mungo Jerry for example had, between 1970 and 1974, 8 UK Top 40 hits, including 6 Top 20 hits and 2 #1's.

[SIZE=3]I guess that depend upon where your getting your information Paul cuz on my link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1970s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States), I just read Mungo Jerry~
C9 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ The artist had two or more Top 40 hits in the United Kingdom....

I guess I should have checked with you first instead of trusting the internet... and living in the U.S.

But thanks for taking me right off the playlist and disqualifying me :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Fun theme, Matt. Here's my entry: Dexy's Midnight Runners' number one song from 1983---released just a couple weeks before I turned 11.

http://youtu.be/mT29G3dZiHs

I'll do my best to get another Dexy's tune or two recorded as the week continues, and I might have time for a number one hit from later in 1983 or early 1984 as well.

ksiegel
03-30-2014, 03:59 PM
...give me Joe Dolces 'Shaddap You Face' any day of the week !! ;)

Wassamatta you? Gotta no respect? Whaddya think you do? Why you look so sad? Itsa not so bad!

Itsa a nice-a place!

~dave~~wave~
03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
The T-Bones had their one hit in March 1966 with an instrumental from the Alka-Seltzer TV commercial "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)".

You kind of had to be there, and be twelve years old, but this was the most entertaining commercial around at that time.
It was the height of "Mad Men" era creativity to make amusing, yet effective advertisements. http://youtu.be/CYHNZidDFXk?t=6s

I vaguely recall the T-Bones on the Hullaballoo TV show, playing Mosrite Ventures model guitars. http://youtu.be/odRhTYdvZ24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_T-Bones

I do remember that I bought the record at the local dime store with my lawn mowing and paper route money, and played the heck out of it because it was so catchy and the commercial was so funny.

So 48 years later, here's my one-take uke version:

http://youtu.be/Nuf2S3dN1CM

redpaul1
03-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I guess that depend upon where your getting your information Paul cuz on my link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1970s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States), I just read Mungo Jerry~
C9 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ The artist had two or more Top 40 hits in the United Kingdom....

I guess I should have checked with you first instead of trusting the internet... and living in the U.S.

But thanks for taking me right off the playlist and disqualifying me :)

Hey, hey, hey - not at all. I said Mungo Jerry had UK Top 40 hits. They're clearly one-hit wonders in the States, which was the very point Matt was making to me about Right Said Fred: lots of hits (over a similarly short space of time) over here, but only one in the US. So (I'm sure that) Mungo Jerry totally qualifies. Same with Dexy's Midnight Runner's - their 1st album Searching For The Young Soul Rebels produced a string of hits in the UK back in the day, before they had a complete change of direction with Come On Eileen, and they had a very well-received comeback album in 2012 (One Day I'm Going To Soar)

All I was saying was, I'd love to hear people choose songs by 'foreign' (i.e., 'from abroad' - to them) one-hit wonders; so Mungo Jerry in your case, while we Brits should try to find US, or Canadian, or German, or Dutch, or Australian, or Spanish etc, etc acts that were one-hit wonders over here - exactly so you in your turn could turn round and say "Tasmin Archer - a one-hit wonder?!! Really? Surely not?" (I have no idea whether Tasmin Archer had more than one hit in the US, btw, I'm just using her as a for instance).

lelouden
03-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Hey, hey, hey - not at all. I said Mungo Jerry had UK Top 40 hits. They're clearly one-hit wonders in the States, which was the very point Matt was making to me about Right Said Fred: lots of hits (over a similarly short space of time) over here, but only one in the US. So (I'm sure that) Mungo Jerry totally qualifies. Same with Dexy's Midnight Runner's - their 1st album Searching For The Young Soul Rebels produced a string of hits in the UK back in the day, before they had a complete change of direction with Come On Eileen, and they had a very well-received comeback album in 2012 (One Day I'm Going To Soar)

All I was saying was, I'd love to hear people choose songs by 'foreign' (i.e., 'from abroad' - to them) one-hit wonders; so Mungo Jerry in your case, while we Brits should try to find US, or Canadian, or German, or Dutch, or Australian, or Spanish etc, etc acts that were one-hit wonders over here - exactly so you in your turn could turn round and say "Tasmin Archer - a one-hit wonder?!! Really? Surely not?" (I have no idea whether Tasmin Archer had more than one hit in the US, btw, I'm just using her as a for instance).

So I'm back in the game? yeah yeah yeah :D.....with Mattydee's approval of course!

29moons
03-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Right now I'm reading the biography of Bon Scott. It seems that AC/DC was very under appreciated in Australia and considered lewd but did very well in England during the Punk era. It was very difficult for them to break into the U.S. and took a few attempts. Of course they finally did but early on it was tough going.

bonesigh
03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
My little girl turns 11 this week (: My little April fool. My song this week is "Only You" by Yazoo. Is this a one hit wonder ?? I swear I looked it up and, yes. But just now I was looking for more info on it and ?? IDK, what do you think? Well, just play along with me (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMH9ZrYE_po&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pabrizzer
03-30-2014, 09:36 PM
More from The Church - Unguarded Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7uLzxJQSRM

They must have done a concert with an orchestra at some stage. Quite nice with some strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuBrKTdIWI

pabrizzer
03-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Number 1 when I turned 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203ZP-Zn7xY

Hopefully this has got me into each of the playlists.

mythinformed
03-31-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm still out of action unfortunately but would love to see this one covered if anyones up for the challenge (Its brilliant!!) , a swing, blues, country one hit wonder novelty toon from 1947 called 'Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) written by Merle Travis and Tex Williams.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_-vNtWLLs

Hippie Dribble
03-31-2014, 01:16 AM
I'm still out of action unfortunately but would love to see this one covered if anyones up for the challenge (Its brilliant!!) , a swing, blues, country one hit wonder novelty toon from 1947 called 'Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) written by Merle Travis and Tex Williams.............

LOL. So awesome. I'm on the case brother... :biglaugh::uhoh::p

wee_ginga_yin
03-31-2014, 01:19 AM
I really liked this song when it came out. It is about a boy spending time with his father,
and perhaps escaping the bullies at school. His father drives a JCB digger and holds up the
traffic on the roads. Now that must give a sense of power to a small kid who is having trouble
at school... and singing with his dad Christy Moores "Don't forget your shovel" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oqBEO4I-kk)

Nizlopi did the original.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkseGFQLh4

http://youtu.be/cfnx_qTudOA

mythinformed
03-31-2014, 01:25 AM
LOL. So awesome. I'm on the case brother... :biglaugh::uhoh::p

Go for it mate ..........I can hear ya singin' it already !! Lol :cool:

redpaul1
03-31-2014, 01:43 AM
Right now I'm reading the biography of Bon Scott. It seems that AC/DC was very under appreciated in Australia and considered lewd but did very well in England during the Punk era. It was very difficult for them to break into the U.S. and took a few attempts. Of course they finally did but early on it was tough going.

That's kind of like the reverse situation, bands or solo acts that needed go abroad to get hits, and which were at best one-hit (or no-hit!!) wonders back home. The White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Kings of Leon all come to mind as examples of US bands who've had to come to the UK to find success. Did solo acts such as Detroit's Suzi Quatro or Houston's P.J. Proby ever have hits in the States?

It turns out that the band I was speculating about originally - The Scissor Sisters from NYC (not North Yorkshire CeeJay!!) - is maybe the best example of all: they've never troubled even the lower reaches of the Billboard Hot-100; yet their debut album is (believe it or not) the greatest-selling album by a US band in the UK ever! They've backed up that initial success with a string of top 30 hit singles in the UK over the last 10 years, including a #10, a #5 & a #1, which, for a dance music act, is some pretty good going.

Going in the other direction Bush, a band supposedly from Shepherd's Bush, near where I live, were, apparently, huge in the States. I'd never even heard of them till researching this topic.

RAB11
03-31-2014, 02:04 AM
That's kind of like the reverse situation, bands or solo acts that needed go abroad to get hits, and which were at best one-hit (or no-hit!!) wonders back home. The White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Kings of Leon all come to mind as examples of US bands who've had to come to the UK to find success.

See, I was tempted to go with White Stripes for my one hit wonder/back catelogue band as Jack White is just about my favourite person in music, who I credit with getting me back into playing a couple years ago. But their 'one hit' was Seven Nation Army which I can't see working on a uke.

xommen
03-31-2014, 02:39 AM
See, I was tempted to go with White Stripes for my one hit wonder/back catelogue band as Jack White is just about my favourite person in music, who I credit with getting me back into playing a couple years ago. But their 'one hit' was Seven Nation Army which I can't see working on a uke.
There is a tutorial how to do it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXqu0qyUnE ;)

RAB11
03-31-2014, 02:55 AM
There is a tutorial how to do it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXqu0qyUnE ;)

Cheers, might give it a go. Don't think that guy was playing it right, as I gave it a go over the weekend, but I'll have a play, because it ticks the box of coming out when I was 11 too.

Concertina
03-31-2014, 03:40 AM
great theme matty! here's the first of probably many...a richard cheese remix of sir mix-a-lot's baby got back!

http://youtu.be/5UR83ig6znA
hope you enjoy!
cheers!

Hahahah excellent! Does this mean I am off the hook??

I love Richard Cheese...amazing job Dave!

RichM
03-31-2014, 03:49 AM
Hahahah excellent! Does this mean I am off the hook??

No.

extra letters

redpaul1
03-31-2014, 04:21 AM
This one, recorded by that proud daughter of Dagenham and Essex girl-extraordinaire, Sandie Shaw, got to #1 on 27 April 1967, just 3 days before my 11th birthday. :)

Bill Martin, who co-writer, recalls: I'd really wanted to write a circussy kind of song, and I said to [co-writer] Phil Coulter: "The best song ever in the Eurovision, although it never won, was 'Volare' - so why don't we have a big long note?' and he said, 'What do you mean? We can't do a long note or we'll get sued.' But I said "No! They stole it from 'OOOOOOOOklahoma!"*

http://youtu.be/fWVX-QY2qug

'Puppet On A String' was Sandie Shaw's 3rd and final UK #1 (she'd have had more, I'm sure, if it wasn't for the early 60s habit of putting out different versions of the same song by different singers at the same time), but her highest-ever Billboard Hot-100 charting was at #42, with 'Girl Don't Come', in December 1964, so, sadly, she doesn't double-qualify as a one-hit wonder [U]and a #1/11 entry.

Her career picked up again in the 80s, when she was taken up by Morrissey and Marr of The Smiths; who produced her cover of their 'Hand In Glove'. It (her career) even survived working with me - but that's another story for another day :)

Even so, it was only years later that it finally dawned on me that Sandie Shaw was a stage name (sandy shores - geddit?!!).

Other 1967 British hits in the UK*: Brown-Eyed Girl; Itchycoo Park; Love Is All Around; Nights In White Satin; Say You Don't Mind; Sunshine Of Your Love; Waterloo Sunset; Whiter Shade Of Pale; Black Magic Woman - it was also the year Sgt. Pepper's was released - not a bad year!

Quotes and hits info taken from 'The Great British Songbook: Celebrating 125 Years of the Music Publishers Association (MPA)' (2006), published by Music Sales Limited, 14-15 Berners St London W1

mattydee
03-31-2014, 04:47 AM
A couple of things (I'll get to updating the playlist and individual comments tonight...)

1. I think Jack White has been way too influential to be considered a one-hit wonder, despite the conservative criteria. But if he fits in your 11 year box, great.

2. I'm excited that this theme has people worked up, but please, please, please, remember that this is still the Seasons. Don't police each others' work. Comment, support, but leave the policing to me this week. It just gets too confusing when everyone pipes in with their opinion. If you have a specific question PM me, or wait till I get to it here, but don't take anyone else's word. And continuing with the Seasons point, please remember this is supposed to be fun. If you think something fits the theme, based on your research, Play it! Sing it! Put it out there. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. (But so, Linda, Mungo Jerrie is fine.)

Carry on. I'll be back in ten hours or so. I know there will be a lot to catch up on. Sunday afternoon to Monday night is my busiest period this week.

UkeyDave
03-31-2014, 05:02 AM
Here's a little number you can make a little lurve to (I'm talking about the original NOT my version) ;-)
One from the archives, Move Closer from Phyllis Nelson and HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jp42eCqew) is the EXCELLENT original that takes me back to my days as a young man. Don't forget to check it out. My version is pathetic compared to the original but I do love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsC6GPjF5KI

RAB11
03-31-2014, 05:21 AM
1. I think Jack White has been way too influential to be considered a one-hit wonder, despite the conservative criteria. But if he fits in your 11 year box, great.

Roger.

Doesn't even count for my number 1 when I was 11 song! Turns out the charts in 2003 were dominated by hip hop and R'n'B, even though it was a decent year for rawk.

Should have some fairly amusing covers if I have the time though.

ChrisDeston821
03-31-2014, 06:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXqmIniD_Q

Aha. Wish multitracking was allowed; I'd have looped the intro and used that riff throughout but tried a few takes afterwords and singing whilst fretting that failed miserably.. Also, that was an old work coat I'd not worn or a while, figured its blue, throw it on, surprised to find something in the pocket (:

Wasn't quite as Spot On when I played it back but yeah :D

cua94
03-31-2014, 06:56 AM
Here is my first entry. I plan to do another.
http://youtu.be/3yjnlU1RGHw

cua94

redpaul1
03-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Here's a little number you can make a little lurve to (I'm talking about the original NOT my version) ;-)
One from the archives, Move Closer from Phyllis Nelson and HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jp42eCqew) is the EXCELLENT original that takes me back to my days as a young man. Don't forget to check it out. My version is pathetic compared to the original but I do love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsC6GPjF5KI

What can I say? Other than what fine taste we must share... :)

Cornfield
03-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Only being able to pick one artist to cover, I totally forgot about Santo and Johnny. I hope that someone with a lap steel uke does a cover of "Sleepwalk"

UkeyDave
03-31-2014, 08:35 AM
What can I say? Other than what fine taste we must share... :)

Hahaha brilliant.

GinnyT11
03-31-2014, 09:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65BzrbIJcLs

Put on your last pair of bell-bottom jeans and head back to 1976 for this one. I do love the sentiment of it.

It sounded okay when I was playing, but it's clear afterward that I'm going too fast. My inner time sense is faster than external time, which makes me bad at cooking meat, too. I always think it's done before it is.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
03-31-2014, 10:25 AM
This was numebr 1 in the year I was 11. It spent 1 week at number 1 and was on the chart for 11 weeks.
I think it was also a 1 h1t 1der.

but there ain't no way I am doing it. I'll lay it open for a braver player than me.

can you even listen to it all. :'^(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQUMKEyEp4

strumsilly
03-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Too bad I missed this one in 1966, I was 11 and it would have made a great annoying song to bug my parents with by singing it over and over. it makes no sense, but is kinda catchy.

http://youtu.be/tRx9AYrjze8

xommen
03-31-2014, 12:00 PM
This took much more takes then I expected, and it still not the way I want it, but it will have to do. This was a number one hit in the year I turned 11. Men at Work - Down Under.

http://youtu.be/ygv8jmRVdlM

dktoller
03-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Sunshine. Jonathan Edwards. 1971.
Who's that, you ask? Exactly.
This song only made on the album after a different cut was mistakenly erased by the engineer. Could have a been a no-hit wonder.

http://youtu.be/5adRPCL8uWE

FiL
03-31-2014, 01:18 PM
"Elusive Butterfly", was hit for Bob Lind in 1966. Lyrically, is has not aged well, but I still can't help loving it. In the spirit of these season's "one"-ness (and the limited time I had before band rehearsal), I only did one take.

http://youtu.be/SMrl9I-w4Js

- FiL

CeeJay
03-31-2014, 01:27 PM
That's kind of like the reverse situation, bands or solo acts that needed go abroad to get hits, and which were at best one-hit (or no-hit!!) wonders back home. The White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Kings of Leon all come to mind as examples of US bands who've had to come to the UK to find success. Did solo acts such as Detroit's Suzi Quatro or Houston's P.J. Proby ever have hits in the States?

It turns out that the band I was speculating about originally - The Scissor Sisters from NYC (not North Yorkshire CeeJay!!) - is maybe the best example of all: they've never troubled even the lower reaches of the Billboard Hot-100; yet their debut album is (believe it or not) the greatest-selling album by a US band in the UK ever! They've backed up that initial success with a string of top 30 hit singles in the UK over the last 10 years, including a #10, a #5 & a #1, which, for a dance music act, is some pretty good going.

Going in the other direction Bush, a band supposedly from Shepherd's Bush, near where I live, were, apparently, huge in the States. I'd never even heard of them till researching this topic.

What ?...Nay ...have I dropped a small hairy round thing 'appen ...again !!!? No ,say it's not so Mester Wilkes.....!!
:biglaugh:

CeeJay
03-31-2014, 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65BzrbIJcLs

Put on your last pair of bell-bottom jeans and head back to 1976 for this one. I do love the sentiment of it.

It sounded okay when I was playing, but it's clear afterward that I'm going too fast. My inner time sense is faster than external time, which makes me bad at cooking meat, too. I always think it's done before it is.

Then you will be my perfect steak cook ....I'll say medium ...you'll do rare !!! yummmm.

(Disclaimer :subject to the disapproval of Vegans , Vegetarians , Cows and other animals of meat providing species and Bhuddists ....who may actually fall into the first two categories.....oh why did I even bother in the first place ?)

TCK
03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
I hit the lottery today. Bonnie Tyler was #1 the day I turned 11. I love Bonnie Tyler- don't care who knows it.
Working on a cold...sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jbVuu7kFM

mattydee
03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
John Sargent: What's Your Name - Don and Juan: Nice one, John. Really love the little scat at the end there. Tell me about this instrument, though?

lelouden: In The Summertime - Mungo Jerrie: Well done Linda! The mouth percussion is fantastic, with a good simple driving strum, and your signature dulcet tones. Great.

Tootler: When - The Kalin Twins: Great Geoff! The "sax" breaks are fantastic, and so are the little uke fills in the chorus. They add a lovely little rhythmic color. The chorus effect is perfect, too. Good job.

greenie44: Tell Him - The Exciters: Fun! The video back up singers are a great little addition to a committed performance of a great tune. Nicely done.

thesillydave: Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot/Richard Cheese: There it is. Some good right hand technique in there, Dave. This is a fun arrangement, keeping the flavor of the cover - I wasn't familiar with Richard Cheese before, but I guarantee I will be now. So thanks for that. And for this. Great job.

uke4ia: I Got You - Split Enz: I didn't recognize this till the chorus. That's what I love about this season -- some of these songs are so ingrained in memory that a few strains make them come flooding back, and this totally did. Moons is right Ayway, this really fits your style. Love the fills in the chorus. Looking forward to more Enz. This is the only song of theirs I know.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters: Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners: Lovely. The whistle for the fiddle is great. And you are always able to make your arrangements feel as if they were written for the uke to begin with. That driving strum after the bridge is gold. Looking forward to more from you this week after such an unexpected early appearance!

DaveWaveUkeFlyer: No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In - The T-Bones: This is great, Dave! The arrangement is really good and the addition of the harp is really nice. I always love your videography, too. Well done. But also, I want to get this straight, was the song co-opted by the commercial, or written for it? If the former, it's a time honored tradition (IZ's Somewhere Over The Rainbow leaps to mind). If the latter, holy cow! A hit single from a jingle?!?!

Bonesigh: Only You - Yaz: This is a band I was surprised to find hit the criteria (I know them as Yaz, but still)... Then looking at it, they don't exactly, (no US Top 40 hits, and 3 US Dance #1s, plus tons more chart toppers in the UK and around the world) but here it is, so I'll comment. It's a great simple strum and vocal that really brings the song an emotional value that I think the original synth pop lacks, so, great! I'm not putting on the playlist, though, so you've got time to put another one together. Alao, happy birthday to your daughter! If you and she do one together, it could be one of this year's hits!

pabrizzer: Unguarded Moment - The Church: Back Catalog gold. This is a great song in your very capable hands. Thanks, Pa!

pabrizzer: Get Offa' My Cloud - The Rolling Stones: Nice one Pa! Great rockin' strum, and your vocal gravel works so well on this tune.

weegingayin: JCB - Nizlopi: As far as I can tell, these guys had no success over on this side of the pond, but I am glad you introduced me to this song. It's very sweet. And well played and sung as well. It really does well at evoking that nostalgiac feel.

redpaul1: Puppet On A String - Sandee Shaw: A. Maze. Ing. I am impressed that you got any sound at all out of that tiny Tangi, much less a few distinct chords! Well done, indeed!

Ukey Dave: Move Closer - Phyllis Nelson: This is well played Dave. I wasn't familiar with the song -- not sure that she made it all across the pond, but it has that nice 80s cum 50s pop feel, and your arrangement brings that out even more. Good job!

ChrisDeston821: Blue - Eiffel 65: Somehow I missed this song when it happened in the 90s, and I can't say I'm sorry, but this is a nicely played cover. The riff at the top is well done, and I was happy to discover the contents of the mystery pocket! Well done!

cua94: She's Like The Wind - Patrick Swayze: Yes! I was hoping we'd get this one. Nice simple play, and the pause right before the titular refrain is really perfect! Thanks for playing this for us! This is like the perfect subgenre of one-hit wonders: songs played by movie stars. Patrick Swayze. Eddie Murphy. Bruce Willis. Oh hurrah!

ginny: Let Your Love Flow - Bellamy Brothers: This is great, Ginny! Sweet, and your personality just shines through on it it. Nice job.

I know there are a few more who've posted today, but I'll have to catch up on those tomorrow. Thanks all who've contributed so far. Looking forward to more and to digging into the back catalog, which leads me to...

Ralf asked me via PM if anyone could help fill out the back catalog of represented artists, regardless of who they had already chosen to cover, and the answer is yes, yes indeed, do it. It's so interesting to hear the other work of a band you know so well for only one thing. The more the merrier on that. My original caveat was to allow for more people to have more shots at famous tunes and not to have eager seasonistas eat up the great one-hits at the top of the week, is all...

UkeCan1
03-31-2014, 05:06 PM
"Elusive Butterfly", was hit for Bob Lind in 1966. Lyrically, is has not aged well, but I still can't help loving it. In the spirit of these season's "one"-ness (and the limited time I had before band rehearsal), I only did one take.

http://youtu.be/SMrl9I-w4Js

- FiL

I just noticed that was your 111th video! (Didn't that happen for someone else this week too?)

Love this song ... I'd totally forgotten it .... (having that experience a lot this week!). It suits your voice, that wonderful 8-string, and the sweet harmonica perfectly. I have played it three times already.

Now back to practicing mine.... :)

Cornfield
03-31-2014, 05:13 PM
John Sargent: What's Your Name - Don and Juan: Nice one, John. Really love the little scat at the end there. Tell me about this instrument, though?

It is a 1928 or 29 Martin 2-18T which is a very small tenor guitar. Tuned like a baritone uke at DGBE. It has mahogany back and sides and an Adirondack spruce top. I had the neck reset June - December and have had it is a case with 4 humidifiers for the last three months trying to absorb some H2O.
I wish I could play well enough to justify some of the fine instruments that I have temporary custody of.

Hippie Dribble
03-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Friends, Timbuk 3. Only one of their tunes ever slipped into the top 20 but as far as I'm concerned every one of their songs is a hit. Thanks Matt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpI4-qnjEW8

29moons
03-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Here's a little gem from 1981. "Make A Circuit With Me" by The Polecats. I watched the video for this song and it was really awesome. I forgot how good it was for the early years of MTV.

http://youtu.be/_1ZRu6Nl7RA

29moons
03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Why is it that we almost always submit vids at the same time? Weird. I love Timbuk 3 - You rock this one with that crazy uke baby.

Friends, Timbuk 3. Only one of their tunes ever slipped into the top 20 but as far as I'm concerned every one of their songs is a hit. Thanks Matt.

KoaDependent
03-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Whoa. Blind Jonny Lemon makin' with the blindfold, turnin' out the happiest blues number ever? Who's gonna be able to compete with that?

myrnaukelele
03-31-2014, 08:26 PM

Oh does this ever bring back the memories! We used to go out and hear Timbuk3 play in the bars in Madison WI. in the early 80s before they moved to Austin. Great band! And nice cover. :cool:

03-31-2014, 09:34 PM
haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread - which is bad news 'cos there are ten pages already so i got a whole lot of catching up to do!

in the meantime here is a song suggested to me by the wonderful redpaul music information and advice service

stuck for a song?

don't know the chords?

wanna speak to someone who knows absolutely everything about absolutely everything?

ask :bowdown: redpaul

"venus" by shocking blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOnBbyWu0o

myrnaukelele
03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
The Murmaids were a one-hit wonder all-female vocal trio who in January 1964 (the month I turned 11) reached #3 with "Popsicles and Icicles".

http://youtu.be/z2G5OkrQcTU

pabrizzer
03-31-2014, 10:26 PM

Timbuk 3 are fabulous. Wonders no matter how many "hits" they had. Not commercial but brilliant.

wee_ginga_yin
04-01-2014, 12:35 AM
weegingayin: JCB - Nizlopi: As far as I can tell, these guys had no success over on this side of the pond, but I am glad you introduced me to this song. It's very sweet. And well played and sung as well. It really does well at evoking that nostalgiac feel.

They appeared on Top of the pops surrounded with a group of girls
with star struck eyes and the fixed smile of adulation on their faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Dv7aGW1IE

greenie44
04-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Season 111, how great is this?

First of all, I love One Hit Wonders, and was able to do one of my very favorites, Tell Him by The Exciters. Following Matt's suggestion, I looked into their back catalog via Wikipedia and discovered that they had done another song that was not a hit for them but went on to become a hit for another One Hit Wonder, The Jamels. At this point, the magic of One Hit Wonders demanded a version.

But the no multi-tracking rule had me stumped as to how to make this version more interesting. Matty had already pointed the way - collaboration. I allowed myself to imagine the perfect partner for this song, and then mustered up enough courage to ask a Seasonista who is already a legend around here - none other that the fabulous BEVOMU. She graciously accepted, and pointed out that the song has also been a hit for Showaddywaddy, who didn't even make it to One Hit status here in the States, but were really big in the UK.

So the collaboration began. We were both so excited about it that we were able to finish it in a day. And, because of BEVOMU's absolutely fantastic rendition, I think it's pretty good. That woman is a ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE!

However, I warn you - you will both see and hear BEVOMU in a way that you never have before. It may be too much for those of you with weak dispositions, so use your own best judgement.

Lynda, thanks for a fantastic collaboration. Has this been mentioned before - you ROCK! And thanks, Matty, for coming up with this Season idea, which has been incredibly memorable for me (so far)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gxAYUhuhI

pabrizzer
04-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Ralf asked me via PM if anyone could help fill out the back catalog of represented artists, regardless of who they had already chosen to cover, and the answer is yes, yes indeed, do it. .

Timbuk 3 has an awesome "back catalog".
They're not afraid to sing what they think.
As I said not commercial but very interesting.
Here is my cover of Prey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CVJ0RQqkU0

Original is terrific
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Y6XtOTT6A

Cornfield
04-01-2014, 02:47 AM

Great job on the Timbuk 3 song. You rock that Big Rusty uke.

Shady Wilbury
04-01-2014, 04:28 AM
A little John Hiatt. Amazing that he's a one hit wonder. He's written a few for others, but only had one in his own right.

http://youtu.be/sZ3YyKnym7M

GinnyT11
04-01-2014, 04:50 AM
... I allowed myself to imagine the perfect partner for this song, and then mustered up enough courage to ask a Seasonista who is already a legend around here - none other that the fabulous BEVOMU. ...So the collaboration began. We were both so excited about it that we were able to finish it in a day. And, because of BEVOMU's absolutely fantastic rendition, I think it's pretty good. That woman is a ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE!

Lynda, thanks for a fantastic collaboration. Has this been mentioned before - you ROCK! And thanks, Matty, for coming up with this Season idea, which has been incredibly memorable for me (so far)!

Your A Little Bit of Soap was quite a treat!
Now, I challenge you two to do another one-hit wonder: A Little Bit of Soul, by the Music Explosion. Are you up to it?

mattydee
04-01-2014, 06:23 AM
This should catch us up to the current moment:

strumsilly: Cat Named Dog - Norma Tanega: Nice to have you back, Andy. The harp sounds great, your voice, too, but that uke sounds so SWEET. Fun little novelty tune. Good job!

xommen: Land Down Under - Men At Work: I really like this stripped down version. I feel like you are getting better and better with every video Wim, Really nicely done!

dktoller: Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards: A great song for uke -- another one of those that sounds like it was written for the instrument, especially with that bouncy little strum you've got going. And your smile at the end says it all. Great job!

FiL: Elusive Butterfly - Bob Lind: Nice rendition, FiL -- The 8 string is a great jangly fit for this psychedelic number. I was starting to thing the harp was just a tease, but then it came in and rounded out the song nicely. Well done!

TCK: Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler: Signature Cloverdale take on a classic. Beautifully done. Love the way your voice opens up in the second half. Just excellent.

eugene ukulele: The Future's So Bright - Timbuk 3: This is a fantastic take on this song, taking the electric blues rock feel of the original and pulling it down to an old school blues number is just beautiful. Excellently played and sung, as per usual. Yahooooo!

29Moons: Make A Circuit With Me - The Polecats: Really well played and sung here, Moons. A sweet stripped down version of some rockabilly awesomeness. Your voice and uke sound great on this one. Well done!

BEVOMU: Venus - Shocking Blue: Some signature BEV upstrumming rocking madness here. Great driving strum, great vocal. My first exposure to this song was via it's stunning cover version by Bananrama, also a number 1 (when I was 11!). Thanks for playing it. Great great job!

myrnaukulele: Popsicles and Icicles - The Murmaids: Sweetly played and sung, Myrna. The contrast of high voice and low uke work really well to fill out the song. Great job.

greenie and BEV: A Little Bit of Soap - The Jamels: Yes! Yes! Yes! Great collab. Great play and vocals. Great video. Just superb. SO glad you made it happen, and a double playlist entry, far as I can tell (though it won't count as official for either of you since you've both got solo entries in already. )

pabrizzer: Prey - Timbuk 3: Great song, Brizz. Thanks for digging into the back catalog here. Well done.

Shady Wilbury: Slow Turning - John Hiatt: Nice play here, Casey, of a great song. Well done. I'd probably put Hiatt into the too influential to count camp, so if you've got another, bring it. Otherwise, since he does technically fit the criteria I can keep it in as your entry...

Dougf
04-01-2014, 06:29 AM
This song was number one for the entire month that I turned 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EsaOfGbZ10

~dave~~wave~
04-01-2014, 06:55 AM
DaveWaveUkeFlyer: No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In - The T-Bones: ...I want to get this straight, was the song co-opted by the commercial, or written for it? If the former, it's a time honored tradition (IZ's Somewhere Over The Rainbow leaps to mind). If the latter, holy cow! A hit single from a jingle?!?!

The latter, absolutely.
A jingle for a commercial, done by anonymous session players, was so catchy that a rock band made an instrumental cover that went to #3.

There used to be a lot of instrumental hits in the 60s.
I suspect it was due some to the Top 40 radio format.
They were short, could be faded in or out, and the DJs could talk over them.

04-01-2014, 07:00 AM
However, I warn you - you will both see and hear BEVOMU in a way that you never have before. It may be too much for those of you with weak dispositions, so use your own best judgement.
lol! i really DID laugh out loud when you turned me around until i was the right way up!

brilliant editing - video and audio - on that, greenie - and it was so much fun to do AND I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE HOW FAST WE DID IT! done and dusted in one day, really! lots of fun for me and thank you so much for inviting me on board!

:music:

chrimess
04-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Christian (Chrimess)! Get in here and do a song! We're Not Gonna Take It perhaps?
Hi there, Daddy, hope all is well with you guys! I have been so busy with "life" lately that the only outlet I have been able to use was running to the point that I just drop into bed once the kids are asleep, I have only been touching my ukes and guitars to make sure they are humidified.

Thanks for inviting me back in, you guys still have a wonderful thing going on!

greenie44
04-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Your A Little Bit of Soap was quite a treat!
Now, I challenge you two to do another one-hit wonder: A Little Bit of Soul, by the Music Explosion. Are you up to it?

I have a feeling we are. Watch this space, as they say, although I doubt we will make the week deadline on this one. Thanks for the great suggestion.

redpaul1
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Having made a rod for my own back by encouraging 'foreign' one-hit wonders, I had to go and do one in a foreign language as well.

World-wide one-hit wonders Nena:

http://youtu.be/aVvDhtVZu3Q

Interestingly, the English language version wasn't a hit in the US, but the German version was only kept out of the #1 slot in the Billboard Hot 100 by Van Halen and 'Jump' :cool:

Barbablanca
04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Timbuk 3 are fabulous.

Totally agree. The album with "Waves of Grain" (Edge of Allegiance IMS)is a masterpiece. Their frontman, Pat McDonald, moved to Barcelona after him and his partner (in life and music) split and dissolved the band. He used to do lots of solo gigs around the area. I met him on several occasions. I really rate him as a songwriter. I am guessing he has moved out of the area now, as I have not heard anything of him for a few years now.

wee_ginga_yin
04-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Never confuse Jesus with Santa or Santa with me.

http://youtu.be/omHDMeIjmog

Tootler
04-01-2014, 10:41 AM
<Trivia Mode>

At last Friday's choir practice, our choirmaster told us about trying to teach his class of 8-yr olds basic music notation. At one point he pointed to the sharp sign and asked "What's that?"

"That's easy" was one confident reply. "That's a hashtag symbol'"

</Trivia Mode>

xommen
04-01-2014, 11:28 AM
This is one more for the back catalog, this is Closer by Jars of Clay. My wife walked in the door somewhere half into the song but as she did not start talking to me the recording was ok-ish. So see if you can spot when she comes into the room.
I used this uke because it's tuned a whole step up, and somehow this song needed that different key for me. I have a shaker egg in my strumming hand, so no multitracking here ;).

http://youtu.be/woFqa__p8Pg

Cornfield
04-01-2014, 11:34 AM
This site helps to improve recordings http://backthird.com/studio/blog/2014/03/goldenturd_music_production.html
I hope they come out with something that will make my videos better.

we tigers
04-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Let's go back to 1973 to one the most annoying songs of all time: Popcorn by Hot Butter.
We changed it a bit to make it a little more fun to play. Look closely and you can notice the pendant Saskia has on her necklace. It's a drop shaped piece of curly koa Perry Bullinger made for her when he and Terry were building my pineapple (that has curly koa binding). So cool!

http://youtu.be/CF0X4dnZPdA

redpaul1
04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
This site helps to improve recordings http://backthird.com/studio/blog/2014/03/goldenturd_music_production.html
I hope they come out with something that will make my videos better.

Yes. John. We all know the date :)

Jazzbanjorex
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I've always planned on playing this song someday and when searching YT for one hit wonders this song was among them. So....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1m4rbVij3s

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
The number one song on my eleventh birthday was super cool. (I left the back-up vocals for y'all.)

http://youtu.be/fk1fWp4RV80

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Let's go back to 1973 to one the most annoying songs of all time: Popcorn by Hot Butter.
We changed it a bit to make it a little more fun to play. Look closely and you can notice the pendant Saskia has on her necklace. It's a drop shaped piece of curly koa Perry Bullinger made for her when he and Terry were building my pineapple (that has curly koa binding). So cool!

So fantastically awesome, Michael and Saskia. You guys and the Ukelites make the most beautiful looking videos. Style and class to the max. My hat is off yet again. :)

uke4ia
04-01-2014, 02:33 PM
I've always planned on playing this song someday and when searching YT for one hit wonders this song was among them. So....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1m4rbVij3s
One of my Facebook friends is a uke player who makes her living as a "dueling pianist" playing covers. She recently made some remark about playing Ace songs. To which my response was "They had more than one?"

Jazzbanjorex
04-01-2014, 04:06 PM
One of my Facebook friends is a uke player who makes her living as a "dueling pianist" playing covers. She recently made some remark about playing Ace songs. To which my response was "They had more than one?"

That would be my response as well "They did?" It's just a song I've wanted to do for some time and it was listed as a one hit wonder from the seventies on a YT video so I took it and ran.

TCK
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
To move about my house, I have to kick reggae records out of the way. This was the title track of the first one I ever bought...done by the Pioneers. That record is still spinning, and doing so right now.
Big smile in Cloverdale.

First of all, I love One Hit Wonders, and was able to do one of my very favorites, Tell Him by The Exciters. Following Matt's suggestion, I looked into their back catalog via Wikipedia and discovered that they had done another song that was not a hit for them but went on to become a hit for another One Hit Wonder, The Jamels. At this point, the magic of One Hit Wonders demanded a version.

But the no multi-tracking rule had me stumped as to how to make this version more interesting. Matty had already pointed the way - collaboration. I allowed myself to imagine the perfect partner for this song, and then mustered up enough courage to ask a Seasonista who is already a legend around here - none other that the fabulous BEVOMU. She graciously accepted, and pointed out that the song has also been a hit for Showaddywaddy, who didn't even make it to One Hit status here in the States, but were really big in the UK.

So the collaboration began. We were both so excited about it that we were able to finish it in a day. And, because of BEVOMU's absolutely fantastic rendition, I think it's pretty good. That woman is a ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gxAYUhuhI

Concertina
04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
This definitely falls under the "artist with one song much more well known than their others". Enjoy. =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8YEdSNHv4&feature=youtu.be

KoaDependent
04-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Well played, ma'am, in both senses of the phrase.

Jazzbanjorex
04-01-2014, 06:00 PM
This is my second Stevie Wonder song to upload for the seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehJF0fkPZI&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
04-01-2014, 06:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfseJeVSh9A

This is one from the Split Enz back catalog, probably their second biggest song. This went to #2 in Australia, but didn't chart in the US or UK. I put Aquila Reds on my Fluke last night. If you look at this full-screen, you might be able to tell. I like the look of the crimson strings on the black fretboard.

TCK
04-01-2014, 09:15 PM
<TCK>First, the seasons finally got Rick-rolled. That makes me happier than it ought to.
Now, on to the music. I have played a LOT of one hit wonders...so I figured I would dig deep and try to find one that was a larger part of my musical landscape.
Did not take long. As A kid, we never had the TV on. It was always radio or records, and mom dancing around the house to her Doo-Wop. Mom is a crazy person, but a love-able crazy person, and those old Doo-Wop sides mean the world to her, still do. To that end I have amassed a collection of Doo-Wop that would rival any other and often serves to embarrass me (some 10,000 songs)...and in spite of the fact that she really truly loves the "white guys doing black guys songs" brand of Doo-Wop (it is what she grew up on), we have had a lot of fun finding the originals, and playing them over and over again while she dances around.
I am going to go out on a limb and post my "One Hit Wonder" and then play some of his back catalog...many songs made famous by a much more notable figure in the history of white guy from New Jersey music (FiL?)...and go with Ernie Maresca. And have fun re-living every minute of my mom cleaning house with a 3" ash hanging off her cigarette, belting out all the songs I am about to bombard you with, time provided... and smile. Ernie Maresca...One hit wonder-I suppose.
Lastly, it is really bloody hard to play chicken fried Cloverdale Doo-Wop without multi-tracking. This is about the only song I would want to on.</TCK>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1dJcng7eY&feature=youtu.be
Well- that and this is about the perfect song for the seasons.

redpaul1
04-01-2014, 10:54 PM

That would be my response as well "They did?" It's just a song I've wanted to do for some time and it was listed as a one hit wonder from the seventies on a YT video so I took it and ran.

Ace (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ace-mn0000588112) were one of the big names on the pre-punk London pub rock circuit in the early to mid-70s. TBF, this was just about their only hit and and one of the few break-out hits from that scene.

Of course their vocalist, Paul Carrack (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-carrack-mn0000746915), went on to achieve great success, both in his own right, and as a guest vocalist for Squeeze (Tempted (By The Fruit Of Another) (http://youtu.be/SmlCJFaUnKI)) and as front-man for Mike & the Mechanics (In The Living Years (http://youtu.be/uGDA0Hecw1k)). One of the great white soul voices - and is possibly a candidate for one-hit wonder 3 times over!! :)

This song is of course about the break-up of a relationship, but believe it or not, not one between romantic partners, but about the rumours that their bass player was secretly planning to break up the band.

*Will Birch No Sleep Till Canvey Island - The Great Pub Rock Revolution (2nd edn 2003), Virgin Books ISBN 0-7535-0740-4 http://willbirch.com.

pabrizzer
04-02-2014, 02:39 AM
More Timbuk 3 Sample the Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8cjWEf_-0

Their original is ridiculously good. I love the view from within the body of the guitar and the riff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ3G5CCErNI

redpaul1
04-02-2014, 04:25 AM
<TCK>I have played a LOT of one hit wonders...so I figured I would dig deep and try to find one that was a larger part of my musical landscape.
Did not take long. As A kid, we never had the TV on. It was always radio or records, and mom dancing around the house to her Doo-Wop. Mom is a crazy person, but a love-able crazy person, and those old Doo-Wop sides mean the world to her, still do. To that end I have amassed a collection of Doo-Wop that would rival any other and often serves to embarrass me (some 10,000 songs)...and in spite of the fact that she really truly loves the "white guys doing black guys songs" brand of Doo-Wop (it is what she grew up on), we have had a lot of fun finding the originals, and playing them over and over again while she dances around.
I am going to go out on a limb and post my "One Hit Wonder" and then play some of his back catalog...many songs made famous by a much more notable figure in the history of white guy from New Jersey music (FiL?)...and go with Ernie Maresca. And have fun re-living every minute of my mom cleaning house with a 3" ash hanging off her cigarette, belting out all the songs I am about to bombard you with, time provided... and smile. Ernie Maresca...One hit wonder-I suppose.
Lastly, it is really bloody hard to play chicken fried Cloverdale Doo-Wop without multi-tracking. This is about the only song I would want to on.</TCK>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1dJcng7eY&feature=youtu.be
Well- that and this is about the perfect song for the seasons.

So I'm singing and playing along with Ernie & TCK, and you know what? The I-iv-IV-V chord progression we've got going here is exactly the same for 99 Luftballons!! "Now there's a mash-up no-one would see coming!!" thought I. And, of course, as soon as the thought crosses your mind, you know it has to be acted on :)

Also! Meinen gnadigen Damen und Herren!! Gebe ich Euch

http://youtu.be/IjiqbZLwHA4

Concertina
04-02-2014, 04:48 AM
<TCK>First, the seasons finally got Rick-rolled. That makes me happier than it ought to.

It was a heartfelt Rick-roll though... I really love Rick Astley. It's my second most played Pandora station... Only losing to Kenny Loggins by a VERY small margin. I really had a hard choice this week... The toss up was between The Breeders, The Sundays, Eddie Brickell and the New Bohemians... So many great bands.
John pointed out that I posted it on April Fools Day... I promise that wasn't planned. I'm not that clever lol

decaturcomp
04-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Oh man. I've been both out of town and under water (workwise) so I'm looking forward to this season. About to go see how you kids started out but here's my first/best thought (partially because there's a great back catalog to draw from) of a one hit wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvZi8BlP7I

redpaul1
04-02-2014, 06:02 AM

It was a heartfelt Rick-roll though... I really love Rick Astley. It's my second most played Pandora station... Only losing to Kenny Loggins by a VERY small margin. I really had a hard choice this week... The toss up was between The Breeders, The Sundays, Eddie Brickell and the New Bohemians... So many great bands.
John pointed out that I posted it on April Fools Day... I promise that wasn't planned. I'm not that clever lol

"Never gonna give you up or let you down"? Girlfriend - that man does not exist: All Men Are Liars (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1502798#post1502798).* By happy / amazing coincidence - also written by Mr Lowe (see above ^).

*video response to concertina - posted over on the Island, as it doesn't fit this Season's criteria.

Tootler
04-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Matt, you seem to have left "When" off the one hit wonder playlist.

lelouden
04-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Granddaughter 11. Rylee Jane born April 1. I now have a grandson born New Years Eve, a grand daughter born New Years Day, A grandson born July 4 Independence Day and now April Fools. All the rest are born in April:)
I have put my Uke down cuz my hand are all over this bundle of fun!

UkeCan1
04-02-2014, 08:17 AM

Me too. But I'm pretty sure it's been done before ... not too many Seasons back. Loved it both times. And, Maria - you made me really love the song!

...many songs made famous by a much more notable figure in the history of white guy from New Jersey music (FiL?)

Despite his home state pride, I get the sense FiL's musical history expertise is much more Texas than NJ. Matter of fact, it was me, not him, who last weekend wrote an (I thought rather obvious) NJ parody of a Texas song. If we ever manage to get together to make another video, perhaps one day we'll do one or both of those for you.

Sweet Cloverdale doo wop ... loved the song and the back story. Want to see you dance it too. Want to be one of my Pips? Rex thinks I should do "Midnight Train to Georgia". I said I would if he and two other Seasonista guys will be my Pips. With dancing. Your name was mentioned.

Barbablanca
04-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm a bit behind schedule this week. Big translation job. Anyone done the theme from Friends yet? I'm not planning to do it, but it must be done for this week, surely! And maybe someone should do Phoebe's song about the cat ;)

mythinformed
04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Granddaughter 11. Rylee Jane born April 1. I now have a grandson born New Years Eve, a grand daughter born New Years Day, A grandson born July 4 Independence Day and now April Fools. All the rest are born in April:)
Congrats Linda, hope mum and baby are doing fine.
Hang on a minute ..........that babys got more hair than me !!!!! :eek:

04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
congrats!

oh and blah to get the word count up

UkeCan1
04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Aw! Congratulations, Linda, and welcome to the world, Rylee Jane! Oh, #11 on April 1. For Season 111. How perfect is that?!

Concertina
04-02-2014, 08:41 AM

Ohh congrats!! How beautiful!!

RAB11
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM

Congrats! Very cute :)

redpaul1
04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Matty ruled out A Whiter Shade Of Pale (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89274-92nd-Season-of-the-Ukulele-Na-na-na-na-na-nonsense!&p=1429011#post1429011) the last time I submitted it to one of the Seasons he's hosted (Season 92 Na-Na-Na- Nonsense), and I have a feeling it might not qualify this time either, as Procol Harum did have at least one follow-up hit on the Billboard Hot-100 (Conquistador, in case you've forgotten. Reached #16).

So I've stuck this little 30 sec clip of the Intro, played on the Tiny Tangi (http://youtu.be/277ClUnLcPA), over on the Island (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1502911#post1502911). Do pay it a visit, and say hello :)

bonesigh
04-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Aw, congratulations!! It was our little girls birthday yesterday too. She is now 11 (: I sang her the song I wrote about her last week. She is an amazing artist. We, of course, named her, April. Our girl's middle name is Jane too!

mattydee
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Congrats, Linda!

mattydee
04-02-2014, 10:18 AM
DougF: Yesterday - The Beatles: Real sweet plaintive take on this, Doug. that simple stum+arpeggio works real well here. great job.

redpaul1: 99 Luftbalons - Nena: Great choice Paul. I was hoping this one would make it on the list, but figured the German version would be done by the Ukelites, or Chrimess, or Austin or Ellman. Great to have you do it!. The arrangement is good... I like when it comes into tempo with the muted strum. Nice work.

weegingayin: Standard White Jesus - Timbuk 3: This well done Rob -- fantastic vocals. Thanks for adding to the back catalog.

xommen: Closer - Jars of Clay: More back catalog goodness. Good one, Wim! Thanks!

we tigers: Popcorn - Hot Butter: This is so much better than it has any right to be based on the original. Really, truly great, guys. Such style, grace, and chops. Gold.

jazzbanjorex: How Long Has This Been Going On - Ace: Real fine vocal here, Rex. Nice steady playing, as well. Thanks for bringing this one to the party.

OnlyUkeThatMatters: Let's Dance - David Bowie: This is too good, Ralf. The arrangement is stellar, with the muted strum and the snaps, and having the listener fill in the hook is brilliant, since it's what we're all singing along to, anyway. Takes your minimalism to a new level. Capital A Art.

Concertina: Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley: Strong vocals and play here, and thanks for the Rickroll! But, Together Forever really takes him out of 1 Hit Wonderdom for me. The awesomeness of the Rickroll could save it, but you have a second shot here. if you want to give another one of those tunes a go. (Hint hint, it should be Edie Brickell, Hint hint!)

jazzbanjorex: Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder: This a real sweet ukey arrangement of this tune, Rex. Nice vocal as well.

uke4ia: Six Months In A Leaky Boat - Split Enz: This is really great Jim. The break is really great, and the wailing la la la's are really effective as well. Thanks for some back catalog goodness.

TCK: Shout SHout - Ernie Maresca: Real sweet, Kid. Love that Doo-wop. Really got me movin' with this one!

pabrizzer: Sample The Dog - Timbuk 3: Thanks for keeping that back catalog going, pa! Another gem

decaturcomp: Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe: Real fine playing here, Alan. And a fantastic song choice. Thanks for this one.

mattydee
04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
That should bring us up to date. I've had a couple of messages about accidentally leaving folks off the playlist -- do doublecheck for yourself, and let me know.

And keep 'em coming, kids. Lots of fun so far.

Concertina
04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
You and your hint hints!! Good thing I practiced that Edie.

But seriously, Together Forever is really just the same song haha.

lelouden
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM
And maybe someone should do Phoebe's song about the cat ;)

Well as it goes this was a great suggestion Berni! Im watching the little ones while dad went to get mom and baby from the hospital. My grandson Lane and I just happened to have a spare moment while we wait for them to arrive:)

Smelly Cat~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-RavSnGQSY&feature=youtu.be

lelouden
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Congrats Linda, hope mum and baby are doing fine.
Hang on a minute ..........that babys got more hair than me !!!!! :eek:

congrats!

Aw! Congratulations, Linda, and welcome to the world, Rylee Jane! Oh, #11 on April 1. For Season 111. How perfect is that?!

Ohh congrats!! How beautiful!!

Congrats! Very cute :)

Aw, congratulations!! It was our little girls birthday yesterday too. She is now 11 (: I sang her the song I wrote about her last week. She is an amazing artist. We, of course, named her, April. Our girl's middle name is Jane too!

Congrats, Linda!

Thank you everyone:D

decaturcomp
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Yay! Another COOL person on Earth!!!

decaturcomp
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTIs8EK4aw

back catalog stuffs...

watchyourtoes
04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
http://youtu.be/qeFEpYeoQD0

This is my first post after a long leave of absence. I've been going through divorce and moving, yadda, yadda and all that other stuff that is way less fun that playing ukulele. So glad to have found a chance to participate in the 111th Season. I've been missing the Seasons and definitely needed some strum therapy.
This is "Everything Falls Apart" by Dog's Eye View. This was their only actual hit, but they've released so many great tracks on just a couple of albums.

CeeJay
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Season 111 One Hit Wonders

The Woolpackers........Better known as some of the cast of " Emmerdale"

A British Soap.....Got to number 5 in 1996 ,in the charts for 4 weeks and currently at 17 in the 100 worst songs of all time !!

So this won't help.

http://youtu.be/OxkwhfEjXnM

Emmerdale is a long running ...very long running ....in fact it started before the Big Bang it is that long running ...and dreary ...sort of Soap opera based originally around a farm ...called Emmerdale ...and then the village became involved ..and a lorry company ...ah, yes ...erm --Trucking Firm, got sandwiched in ...oh and a post office ...you have those don't you .....?? A pub ...Mester Wilkes ...who is long dead but his sideburns live on in memeory....and so on ......the pub is called The Woolpack...after sheep ....which you also have ...don't you.....?...You know little black legs ,big fluffy sort of woolly body and a face ...the back end is usually covered in .......Oh the wifes calling , must bugger off.......

pabrizzer
04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
http://youtu.be/qeFEpYeoQD0

This is my first post after a long leave of absence. I've been going through divorce and moving, yadda, yadda and all that other stuff that is way less fun that playing ukulele. So glad to have found a chance to participate in the 111th Season. I've been missing the Seasons and definitely needed some strum therapy.
This is "Everything Falls Apart" by Dog's Eye View. This was their only actual hit, but they've released so many great tracks on just a couple of albums.

This is just a really terrific performance. Your vocals are TOP NOTCH!
"yadda, yadda" can be tough - glad to see you back - and your singing here is just fabulous!

Jazzbanjorex
04-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Ace (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ace-mn0000588112) were one of the big names on the pre-punk London pub rock circuit in the early to mid-70s. TBF, this was just about their only hit and and one of the few break-out hits from that scene.

Of course their vocalist, Paul Carrack (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-carrack-mn0000746915), went on to achieve great success, both in his own right, and as a guest vocalist for Squeeze (Tempted (By The Fruit Of Another) (http://youtu.be/SmlCJFaUnKI)) and as front-man for Mike & the Mechanics (In The Living Years (http://youtu.be/uGDA0Hecw1k)). One of the great white soul voices - and is possibly a candidate for one-hit wonder 3 times over!! :)

This song is of course about the break-up of a relationship, but believe it or not, not one between romantic partners, but about the rumours that their bass player was secretly planning to break up the band.

*Will Birch No Sleep Till Canvey Island - The Great Pub Rock Revolution (2nd edn 2003), Virgin Books ISBN 0-7535-0740-4 http://willbirch.com.

I've already done "Tempted By The Fruit Of Another" in an earlier season. I didn't even know it was the same guy. Duh...
Mike and the Mechanics... I'd do "All I Need Is A Miracle".

KoaDependent
04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
There's always a knot in my stomach when I scan over the pages and pages of new posts that have been generated from the time I go into the woodshed to record a video for the Seasons to the time it finally finishes uploading. I just know there's going to be someone who's done my song and better in the meanwhile. Looks like I may have lucked out this time.
it a
Here's "Funkytown", which has the distinction of having been the basis for two separate one-hit-wonders. Lipps, Inc. in 1980 (the year in which I was 11, by the way) and Pseudo Echo in 1986 both reached #1 with it.

Oh, and Matt? Thought you might appreciate a glimpse of the old Honeybee again...

P.S. Put on your headphones or turn up your speakers, the sound came out rather soft in this one.

P.P.S. This version is based on the tab in this UU thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?69172-Funky-Town-by-Lipps-Inc-Ukulele-Solo), which in turn was based on the arrangement by the incomparable WS64 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuq8IHxIMSc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZmkQ6RWY3w

redpaul1
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I've already done "Tempted By The Fruit Of Another" in an earlier season. I didn't even know it was the same guy. Duh... .

tbf, Squeeze have always really been just Difford, Tilbrook & associates. Unless you were familiar with the differences in vocal style between Glen Tilbrook and Paul Carrack, you'd naturally expect it to be Glenn Tilbrook on lead vocal duties and 'Tempted' is of course a Difford/Tilbrook composition. Even here Tilbrook features on vocals. Carrack does the first verse and chorus, but Tilbrook then takes over for the 2nd verse before Carrack returns for the chorus, third verse & final choruses.

Mike and the Mechanics... I'd do "All I Need Is A Miracle".

Ha! We hear you brother! I reckon there's a few of us need one of those too :)

TCK
04-02-2014, 05:58 PM
11 of 'em??? Shoot- you only look about 35 ;) Congrats- she is lovely!

TCK
04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I have zero shame...I am totally ready to be a pip. I am going to need an outfit though.

Despite his home state pride, I get the sense FiL's musical history expertise is much more Texas than NJ. Matter of fact, it was me, not him, who last weekend wrote an (I thought rather obvious) NJ parody of a Texas song. If we ever manage to get together to make another video, perhaps one day we'll do one or both of those for you.

Sweet Cloverdale doo wop ... loved the song and the back story. Want to see you dance it too. Want to be one of my Pips? Rex thinks I should do "Midnight Train to Georgia". I said I would if he and two other Seasonista guys will be my Pips. With dancing. Your name was mentioned.

Concertina
04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Ok...I promise...no Rick Roll this time...
I really had a hard time with the strumming. I wish I was better at figuring out how to finger pick a song...but alas, I am a strummer. Like Edie and Popeye say...what I am is what I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-BqZQoSqvc&feature=youtu.be

Concertina
04-02-2014, 06:19 PM
There's always a knot in my stomach when I scan over the pages and pages of new posts that have been generated from the time I go into the woodshed to record a video for the Seasons to the time it finally finishes uploading. I just know there's going to be someone who's done my song and better in the meanwhile. Looks like I may have lucked out this time.
it a
Here's "Funkytown", which has the distinction of having been the basis for two separate one-hit-wonders. Lipps, Inc. in 1980 (the year in which I was 11, by the way) and Pseudo Echo in 1986 both reached #1 with it.

Oh, and Matt? Thought you might appreciate a glimpse of the old Honeybee again...

P.S. Put on your headphones or turn up your speakers, the sound came out rather soft in this one.

P.P.S. This version is based on the tab in this UU thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?69172-Funky-Town-by-Lipps-Inc-Ukulele-Solo), which in turn was based on the arrangement by the incomparable WS64 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuq8IHxIMSc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZmkQ6RWY3w

So awesome!!!

uke4ia
04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmrfv-XAyAl

Aaaah!! I can't stop playing Split Enz covers! Here's another from the back catalog. This is a song about a REALLY long distance relationship.

uke4ia
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FqRwiu59j8

And one more. This is called "Strait Old Line". I couldn't find anything on-line about the meaning of the song, so I don't think the spelling of "Strait" means anything significant. I wasn't hitting high notes well tonight, and I finally killed my voice by trying "Message to My Girl".

thesillydave
04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
so , for my #1 when i was 11...it was "The first time ever i saw your face"..dedicated to TCK...challenge completed!

http://youtu.be/SebwJPFCZOM
cheers all!

redpaul1
04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FqRwiu59j8

And one more. This is called "Strait Old Line". I couldn't find anything on-line about the meaning of the song, so I don't think the spelling of "Strait" means anything significant. I wasn't hitting high notes well tonight, and I finally killed my voice by trying "Message to My Girl".

"Don't look to the left / Don't look to the right" - well I've seen Jazz hands plenty of times, but that's the first time I've ever seen Jazz eyes! :)

This is really great Jim - but you don't need me to tell you that. I really came on to say that 'strait' spelt this way means 'narrow' or 'restricted' - as in the 'Straits of Dover' (or even Detroit - fr détroit, strait - sited of course on the narrows linking Lakes Huron and Erie), or 'straitjacket'.

In this instance, it's a reference back to the Sermon on the Mount & Matthew 7:14: "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (King James Version) - and from thence to 'the strait and narrow (path)' (frequently, sadly, mispelt these days as 'the straight & narrow').

Paul Craft had the same idea when he had Bobby Bare sing his famous lyric: "Don't let me go to the left nor the right/Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life." HTH

UkeyDave
04-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Season 111 One Hit Wonders

The Woolpackers........Better known as some of the cast of " Emmerdale"

A British Soap.....Got to number 5 in 1996 ,in the charts for 4 weeks and currently at 17 in the 100 worst songs of all time !!

So this won't help.

http://youtu.be/OxkwhfEjXnM

Emmerdale is a long running ...very long running ....in fact it started before the Big Bang it is that long running ...and dreary ...sort of Soap opera based originally around a farm ...called Emmerdale ...and then the village became involved ..and a lorry company ...ah, yes ...erm --Trucking Firm, got sandwiched in ...oh and a post office ...you have those don't you .....?? A pub ...Mester Wilkes ...who is long dead but his sideburns live on in memeory....and so on ......the pub is called The Woolpack...after sheep ....which you also have ...don't you.....?...You know little black legs ,big fluffy sort of woolly body and a face ...the back end is usually covered in .......Oh the wifes calling , must bugger off.......

CJ Your a LEGEND. Thats all. ;-)

redpaul1
04-03-2014, 04:11 AM
I am an innumerate muppet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CEf2f1qvKM

Io che no vivo (senza te) (http://letras.com/pino-donaggio/63738/)

TCK
04-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Back with a hint at my mom's favorite artist, and another Ernie Maresca song.
Ernie wrote it, but someone else made it famous...totally bending the rules I suppose.
Thanks for a reason Matt- I really the dig these oldies and am having fun figuring them out...even if they are the same four chords.
That means Paul can mash another on up for us :) Go "Call Me Maybe" Paul. Same chords as well...or Wagon Wheel...or any other doo-wop song ever. Thinking someone needs to throw some Randy and the Rainbows at us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8AAdOFmcqA

Concertina
04-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Back with a hint at my mom's favorite artist, and another Ernie Maresca song.
Ernie wrote it, but someone else made it famous...totally bending the rules I suppose.
Thanks for a reason Matt- I really the dig these oldies and am having fun figuring them out...even if they are the same four chords.
That means Paul can mash another on up for us :) Go "Call Me Maybe" Paul. Same chords as well...or Wagon Wheel...or any other doo-wop song ever. Thinking someone needs to throw some Randy and the Rainbows at us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8AAdOFmcqA

So great!

Had a hard time not doing Call Me Maybe.

Barbablanca
04-03-2014, 06:04 AM
There was no provision for original songs in the theme this week. So I was planning to skip this one. But the muse is a cruel mistress and had other ideas. I am sleeping alone at the moment (Carmen is in Finland) and the muse knew no-one would object to me being woken up at 5am with the chorus of this song going around in my mind and a nagging insistence that I had to write the verses there and then!

So, if this is unacceptable here, please tell me and I'll move it to the Island.

Meanwhile, here is "One Hit Wonder" - a Berni tribute to all of those "artists" you're homaging this week.

http://youtu.be/ZE_b-VVd8VE

PS I plan to actually record a "one hit wonder" song later this week, if time permits.

mattydee
04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
decaturcomp: Switchboard Susan - Nick Lowe: Thanks for adding this one to the back catalog. Some nice fills in there.

watchyourtoes: Everything Falls Apart - Dog's Eye View: Great vocal on this one, and some good solid play, as well. The delay on the mic is perfect. This is a great example of making some lemonade out of life's lemons. Well done.

ceejay: Hillbilly Rock Hillbilly Roll - The Woolpackers: Some really really great playing going on there, CJ. And the amount of fun you are clearly having is infectious, as ridiculous as the song may be. Well done.

koadependent: Funkytown - Lipps, Inc: Great play here, Brian, and a great song choice. I was hoping for a little vocal in there somewhere, but the play was strong enough to stand on its own. Good one! And that little honeybee is still the one that got away for me. It was a mistake letting it go, but I'm glad it's in good hands.

concertina: What I Am - Edie Brickell and New Bohemians: Yay! A little Edie Brickell. I've loved these guys for a long time, so I'm glad you brought them to the party. The song really stands the test of time. That steady strum/chunk combo with your velvety vocal make for a good acoustic version. Nice!

uke4ia: Poor Boy & Strait Old Line - Split Enz: Great performances! Those licks are great! But is this song about having a love affair with an alien from outer space? Awesome! Thanks for filling out the back catalog with abandon!

thesillydave: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack: A nice take on this classic, Dave. Some of that crazy Tom Waits gravel with that smooth Latin strum? Great.

TCK: Donna - Ernie Maresco: Lovely. And I always love those 4 chord songs. Especially from that era. There's a song about this progression in Grease, the musical -- it only shows up in the movie as background but is a big number in the stage version -- called Those Magic Changes. One of the kids has just gotten a guitar. His lyric begins "C C C C C C. A A A A minor. F F F F F F. G G G G seven."

Barbablanca: One Hit Wonder - Berni Armstrong: Boom! And it's the theme for this season! I am So. Glad. You made this.

lelouden
04-03-2014, 07:33 AM
11 of 'em??? Shoot- you only look about 35 ;) Congrats- she is lovely!

Im so glad I look my age cuz it would be terrible to look old at 35!:biglaugh:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Howdy, one-hit wanderers. A brief Seasons of the Ukulele scheduling announcement:

Our volunteer host for the 125th Season has thoughtfully let me know that time/energy demands outside of our weekly ukulele party will prevent him from hosting that week. If anyone (especially someone that hasn't had a chance to host a Season recently) would like to host
Season 125: 6th-13th July,
please let me know via private message or in the Sign Up thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?82618-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons-II/page10).

Thanks,
Volunteer Seasons Coordinator Jr.

xommen
04-03-2014, 08:38 AM
I just had to find a way to get some U2 into this season, Jars of Clay actually did a cover of this U2 song (so this is one for the back catalog ;)). To be honest mine is mostly based on the original U2 version, if you have the time please check out their version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW6wfDBVWLo

http://youtu.be/qamgR-XwZzI

RAB11
04-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Right, here goes my one-hit wonder. Was gonna do this for Lily's season but it seems the enigmatic Martha didn't write it. But I've loved this song for quite a while and I think most of us can relate, here's Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins:

http://youtu.be/Wdrr3zsjA4o

ukuleledaddy
04-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Here's a one hit wonder, Sunny by Bobby Hebb. Apparently the day after JFK was shot, Bobby Hebb's brother was killed in a knife fight. He wrote this song shortly thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIvfMW5EWw

greenie44
04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
What a week it has been for me. First of all, great theme - I loves me one hit wonders. I was able to do an entry with one of my favorites.

Then I had the opportunity to collaborate with Birds Eye View Of My Ukulele, which was incredibly fun and turned out pretty well too.

And the week wasn't over. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters did a song by Dexy's Midnight Runners, who I really really liked back in the day, and mentioned he was going to do more Dexy's for the back catalog. I impulsively wrote and asked him if I could collaborate, and he was gracious enough to agree.

So here is the result. Another one that was really really fun. Ralf's initial ukulele part was so great that I didn't think I could do anything but hurt it with my uke playing, so I opted to add the horn parts of the original with the melodica.

I understand this was a #1 in the UK (and I bought their first album in a store based exclusively on the title and the cover and subsequently fell in love with it), but it never made a ripple over here in the US. So back catalog it is. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN0YqGf9Lh4

Cornfield
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
It just dawned on me that Iz. was a one hit wonder.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Howdy, one-hit wanderers. A brief Seasons of the Ukulele scheduling announcement:

Our volunteer host for the 125th Season has thoughtfully let me know that time/energy demands outside of our weekly ukulele party will prevent him from hosting that week. If anyone (especially someone that hasn't had a chance to host a Season recently) would like to host
Season 125: 6th-13th July,
please let me know via private message or in the Sign Up thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?82618-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons-II/page10).

Thanks,
Volunteer Seasons Coordinator Jr.

A new host has volunteered. Thanks, greenie44!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
What a week it has been for me. First of all, great theme - I loves me one hit wonders. I was able to do an entry with one of my favorites.

Then I had the opportunity to collaborate with Birds Eye View Of My Ukulele, which was incredibly fun and turned out pretty well too.

And the week wasn't over. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters did a song by Dexy's Midnight Runners, who I really really liked back in the day, and mentioned he was going to do more Dexy's for the back catalog. I impulsively wrote and asked him if I could collaborate, and he was gracious enough to agree.

So here is the result. Another one that was really really fun. Ralf's initial ukulele part was so great that I didn't think I could do anything but hurt it with my uke playing, so I opted to add the horn parts of the original with the melodica.

I understand this was a #1 in the UK (and I bought their first album in a store based exclusively on the title and the cover and subsequently fell in love with it), but it never made a ripple over here in the US. So back catalog it is. Hope you like it.

Thanks, greenie44, for putting this together. You rocka the melodica.

UkeyDave
04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Well this one was Number 1 in the UK the month I turned 11. I've tried to put my own spin on it. Sorry about the knee. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5YVqrOcFE

uke4ia
04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
uke4ia: Poor Boy - Split Enz: But is this song about having a love affair with an alien from outer space?

Yes. Yes, it is.

cua94
04-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Here is my second entry
http://youtu.be/gAgLd4CObso

This one is for the "number one when I was eleven".

cua94

ThatNeilGuy
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
I decided to jump in and try my hand at this. So here I am with one hit wonder Kung Fu Fighting, from the album Kung Fu Fighting and Other Love Songs by Carl Douglas. It reached number one two weeks after my eleventh birthday.

Video features cameos from my children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_oHjF3E90

GinnyT11
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I decided to jump in and try my hand at this. So here I am with one hit wonder Kung Fu Fighting, from the album Kung Fu Fighting and Other Love Songs by Carl Douglas. It reached number one two weeks after my eleventh birthday.

Neil, WELCOME! Glad to have you here. Your first post AND your first Seasons entry—that's brave.

I liked your song a lot. The vocal really fit the song.

ThatNeilGuy
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank you! It was fun to do. And really enjoying everyone else's contributions.

CeeJay
04-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Two thumbs up lads ...two thumbs ...and that's all I got ...two ...or you could have had more !!!

Jarv

Milliron
04-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Season 111- One hit wonder, Tiptoe through the Tulips topped the charts at number 17 in 1968 when I was 11. I remember Tiny Tim getting married on the Johnny Carson show to Miss Vicky. And I remember his appearances on Laugh In. I did not know that he had a nice natural voice and that his white make up, fluttery falsetto and shy act were just that-- an act! He is remembered by friends and his wife as being a gentle soul. http://youtu.be/4R0LIJceYhI

Concertina
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Video features cameos from my children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_oHjF3E90

SO GREAT!! Those kids NAILED the background vocals!!! Very nice job! You looked like you had such a great time doing it!

mattydee
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
xommen: All I Want Is You - Jars of Clay (U2): I love thinking of the alternate universe where U2 are one-hit wonders. Nice one, Wim. Like the pedal on the uke on this one.

RAB11: Echo Beach - Martha And The Muffins: Far as I can tell this song didn't really make it over here, so I wasn't fmiliar with it, but after listening to the original, I like your take on it. Fun to put a grunge twist on this New Wave track.

ukuleledaddy: Sunny - Bobby Hebb: cI really love the hard vocal at the end, and the counterpoint it gives to the lyric, filling in that back story. I wonder what would happen f you treated the whole song as a searing rock ballad in that way. Anyway, great job with this one, Sean.

onlyuke and greenie: Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners: This is great, guys! That melodica is rockin! That driving Baritone in the middle! Great vocals! What a beaut!

UkeyDave: Where Do You Go To My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt: Ah some old school seasons magic with the exposed knee! I didn't know this song, but it's a perfect uke tune. Really nicely done.

cua94: Thank God I'm A Country Boy - John Denver: Hoo! Haven't heard this one in years, but amazing how it comes flooding back from the first measures. Totally had me singing along on this one, and I am as far from a country boy as you can get!

ThatNeilGuy: Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas: Great! Fantastic debut! While the back up performers were key here, that lead vocal is really outstanding. Plus the extra whammy of one hit on 11th birthday! Boom! Well done. And welcome to the seasons. I'd love to see you fill out a bit of the back catalog from these cats! 

Milliron: Tiptoe Through The Tulips - Tiny Tim: A really nice cover, and frankly, a great tribute to a uke hero. Sweetly played and sung. You have a lovely voice and a nice gentle playing style that work really well with the tune. Great job.

Keep 'em coming, kids! My highly unscientific count has us at 60+ videos so far... That back catalog could get us to 111. Plus there are a quite a few Seasonistas we haven't heard from yet...

Concertina
04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
A little back catalog for you...
"Times Like This" off of Ghost of a Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8tSBCJFKk&feature=youtu.be

Hippie Dribble
04-03-2014, 05:20 PM
well, dave dared me to have a crack at this one, how could i refuse? Ian Whitcomb from 1965. hooda thunk the maestro of golden oldies would have his only hit with a dirty ol song like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzx3PRorIt4&feature=youtu.be

TCK
04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Hahahaha- Pancho, you are my hero right now. I would argue that this is one of the most important songs ever made...and at the hands of an UKULELE GOD. Without these guys, THEM does not exist. There is no THIN LIZZY (we all know how I feel about those guys), no disdain for Mondays (Boomtown Rats) and certainly no impetus for U2. Thanks for taking up the challenge mate- I am buying you a stiff drink in the summer. I wish I could figure how to play this on Uke. Lefty.
well, dave dared me to have a crack at this one, how could i refuse? Ian Whitcomb from 1965. hooda thunk the maestro of golden oldies would have his only hit with a dirty ol song like this.

lelouden
04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0LIJceYhI&feature=youtu.be

This is the best I've heard this song done. Great job Laurie!

southside mike
04-03-2014, 06:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56kj0v36Ak&feature=youtu.be
I struggled with the timing on this one but I finally found something that I think works.
From the mid sixties and I thought it was the greatest song ever for about two weeks.
It's by the Standells.

uke4ia
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dsWdx0xJqU

Here's one more Split Enz song, which 29moons and Pabrizzer requested. This is called "Dirty Creature".

04-03-2014, 07:30 PM
number one when i turned eleven

mull of kintyre

:uhoh:

it's not easy to sing

and trust me, i don't make it sound easy, either

but don't worry, the awesomeness and beauty of the doug frink number 11, that arrived with me today, will distract you from the warbling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl09_ibiT7Q

i road tested the eleven on some rock as well, you can see the vid here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9f4nSwG2Q

and i will also go put that on the island

thank you :bowdown: doug. thank you :bowdown: ginny

Rustyy
04-03-2014, 09:55 PM
We are on the road, caravaning for a month or so, so viewing, commenting and keeping up, with lack of data for uploads/downloads etc. is going to be a problem. However I will continue to try to make one contribution per season. Hopefully I will have enough resources to keep up.
This weeks entry is Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky". I hope nobody else has done it yet this week, but haven't had time to check. I don't think this is my best effort but I am happy that was able to get an entry in

http://youtu.be/2GwROyZjxHU

Cornfield
04-04-2014, 02:49 AM

This really impressed me. Great job.

UkeyDave
04-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Here you go Laurie

http://youtu.be/4R0LIJceYhI

filipinouker
04-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Hurriedly done during my lunch hour!
This song uses two chords over and over and over again (except for the short bridge) - MIND-NUMBING!!! - so my facial expression reveals frustration at several points!

"Melt With You" by Modern English, 1982. Was not no.1, but was very popular in the Philippines when i was 11.

http://youtu.be/8Uqce7EN39I

max2173
04-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Here we go, still suffering from a cold but hey ho!

http://youtu.be/Iu848PtdWQA

mattydee
04-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Concertina: imes Like This - Edie Brickell and New Bohemians: Great arrangement. This is my favorite New Bohemians album. Thanks for pulling this gem from the back catalog.

eugene ukulele: You Turn Me On - Ian Whitcomb: This, of course comes with all the Jon goodness we've come to love and expect. It does, however, pose a problem. You only get one one-hit wonder entry, and you did it already with the Timbuk 3. This one should probably move over to the island... where we all will continue to love and adore it!

southside mike: Dirty Water - The Standells: That's a great riff you've got there, and the vocals sound great too. Really fine job with this. I think the effects on the vocals are just about perfect. Nice little studio you've got there, too!

uke4ia: Dirty Creature - Split Enz: Jim, you may have put together a whole Split Enz album by yourself this season! Thanks for more back catalog goodness.

BEVOMU: Mull of Kintyre - Wings: A bit of sweetness from the queen of rock. The key change works really well, actually. Nicely done.

Rustyy: Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum: A nice simple rendition of time-honored rock song with the time-honored seasonista tradition of singing in the car? Well done.

filipinouker: Melt With You - Modern English: What a lovely cover of this song. It works surprisingly well on the uke, and of course, in your capable hands, they all do. Plus your voice is in fine form, as ever here. Well done.

Max2173: I Touch Myself - The Divinyls: I love the driving rock take on this tune, Max. Nice break there at the end, too. Plus, fantastic song choice. Good job!

mattydee
04-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Is anyone else struck by the number of songs from the 80s about impending nuclear holocaust? Off the top of my head, we've had at least 3 this week (Future's So Bright, Melt With You, 99 Luftbalons) As a child of the 80s, I certainly remember living my life in fear of the bomb, but I'm only now putting it in context as being so culturally pervasive.

Just an observation.

CTurner
04-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Kermit the Frog's acclaimed song, "Rainbow Connections" hit #25 on Billboard's Hot 100 in November, '79. He did other songs, but this was his biggie, without Miss Piggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wndDKARuDmk

xommen
04-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I thought I would just records some more Jars of Clay, as they made some great songs.
So another one for the back catalog.
Here is a really nice live version by Jars of Clay themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by1Tq2nGffA
This is Jars of Clay - Dead Man Carry Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyn_DHSdtU

dktoller
04-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Is anyone else struck by the number of songs from the 80s about impending nuclear holocaust? Off the top of my head, we've had at least 3 this week (Future's So Bright, Melt With You, 99 Luftbalons) As a child of the 80s, I certainly remember living my life in fear of the bomb, but I'm only now putting it in context as being so culturally pervasive.

Just an observation.

"Mr. Krushev said 'we will bury you' " / Sting / Russians. Sure there are many more, but that one comes immediately to mind.

29moons
04-04-2014, 10:35 AM
P.O.E. by Adam Ant released in 1985

Damn your eyes Mr. Khruschev
Don't go dropping bombs on here
'Cos if you start dropping bombs over here
We're gonna have to drop some bombs over there.

Heard a lot of small talk
All about your doing
But we will be the last boys
Left standing in the ruins
Yes-siree
Good-by-ee
To the twentieth century
Yipee-ya yipee-ya.

Clamping on a stetson
Activate the go code
Get me a citation
When I drop my little load
Yes-siree
Good-by-ee
To the twentieth century
Yipee-ya yipee-ya.

Pleasures of survival
Ain't so tough
Have a real good time in Vegas
With all that stuff
Yes-siree
Good-by-ee
To the twentieth century
Yipee-ya yipee-ya.

Just an observation.

uke4ia
04-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Just an observation.

In the early '80s, there was a lot of posturing between the US and USSR, and there was a worry that it would escalate into a nuclear war. Songs especially came from other countries, in Europe and Australia, where they were scared of getting killed in the crossfire of someone else's war. Midnight Oil did an album "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1" where half the songs were about fear of nuclear war. XTC had a song called "This World Over". There were lots of others.

I remember going to a conference in the mid-80s in the Shenandoah Mountains. It was the night that Villanova won the NCAA basketball title. The place had lots of little guest cabins. I had a nightmare that I opened the door of the cabin and saw a bright flash and mushroom cloud in the far distance.

pabrizzer
04-04-2014, 12:12 PM
It was from 1965 - but on the Impending Disaster theme I thought we may have seen Barry Maguire's Eve of Destruction this week.

elmann
04-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Exclusive theme, mattydee, so we hear a lot of wonderful hits.
After some time another entry. Following some research I decided against "Puttin' on the Ritz", to kill two birds with one stone ;).
Zager and Evans, In the year 2525, reached a 1 h1t 1onder with first place in the charts when I was 11.

http://youtu.be/v3RTWFuQRlM

My flip-flops gave an exquisite percussion, good to wear no slippers.

redpaul1
04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
OK - so TCK threw down the gauntlet: honour demands I pick it up.

I-vi-IV-V is actually known as the "'50s -" or the "'Doo-wop' progression", so there's loads of mash-up possibilities. But the Season demands that the mash-up involve a one-hit wonder, and neither in the whole history of one-hit wonders, nor in one-hit wonders to come, will there ever be a one-hit wonder such as the one in this mash-up - and it's Fridaaaaaay!!!!!

http://youtu.be/k33IILLzABQ

Barbablanca
04-04-2014, 02:07 PM
At least 50% of my output in the 80s was anti-war stuff. But then I was active in peace camps in East Anglia (Or USAF Base #1" as it was known). Raygun and Fatxa (Catalan for Fascist) certainly seemed about to plunge us into nuclear war, back then.

Remember the "Gone with the Wind" poster? "The Most Explosive Film Ever Made!" Picture of Reagan as Brett with Thatcher in his arms and a text that read. "She promised to accompany him to the end of the world. He promised to organise it!" (See Google Images if it doesn't ring a bell).

bonesigh
04-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Aw, man! Just uploaded "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles being the number on hit on Nov. 15 1975 when I turned 11, but, dang, they wouldn't even put it up at all ):

max2173
04-04-2014, 03:11 PM

My entry was a very strange response to this, in that once I'd heard this entry I knew which song I wanted to do. Not in the sense that Eugene turns me on. Honest.

(Oh, and if any of you who knows what this means and want to feel sorry for me, I work in a bookies and it's Grand National tomorrow! AAARRRGGGHH!)

redpaul1
04-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Aw, man! Just uploaded "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles being the number on hit on Nov. 15 1975 when I turned 11, but, dang, they wouldn't even put it up at all ):

Wow! That's severe! I thought Supertramp were bad, but The Eagles must take the biscuit. Re-write the lyrics: "We can't sta-and, your Pecan Pies" and see if you can't slip it by the YT police that way. We'll all know what you really meant. HTH :)

redpaul1
04-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Hahahaha- Pancho, you are my hero right now. I would argue that this is one of the most important songs ever made...and at the hands of an UKULELE GOD. Without these guys, THEM does not exist. There is no THIN LIZZY (we all know how I feel about those guys), no disdain for Mondays (Boomtown Rats) and certainly no impetus for U2. Thanks for taking up the challenge mate- I am buying you a stiff drink in the summer. I wish I could figure how to play this on Uke. Lefty.

My entry was a very strange response to this, in that once I'd heard this entry I knew which song I wanted to do. Not in the sense that Eugene turns me on. Honest.

(Oh, and if any of you who knows what this means and want to feel sorry for me, I work in a bookies and it's Grand National tomorrow! AAARRRGGGHH!)

Ian Whitcomb is indeed a ukulele god - and living and performing in California!

http://www.picklehead.com/10-05new1.gif

America's Foremost Tin-Pan Alley Man,
Ukulele Virtuoso,
and Grammy Award-Winning Recording Artistl (http://www.picklehead.com/ian.html)

KnowsPickin
04-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Kermit the Frog's acclaimed song, "Rainbow Connections" hit #25 on Billboard's Hot 100 in November, '79. He did other songs, but this was his biggie, without Miss Piggy.

Nicely done.

One question, for anyone who might know. In the movie Kermit plays a banjo of some sort. It sounds like a four stringer. But I'm curious about the tuning actually used in the movie. Was it standard tenor banjo tuning (CGDA), a plectrum banjo (like a baritone uke DGBE), or could it have been a banjolele (gCEA)?

Anyone have a guess?

bonesigh
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been told that does not work but I can give it a go.

Wow! That's severe! I thought Supertramp were bad, but The Eagles must take the biscuit. Re-write the lyrics: "We can't sta-and, your Pecan Pies" and see if you can't slip it by the YT police that way. We'll all know what you really meant. HTH :)

bonesigh
04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Finally, my entry for the week. Dang sickness I had went away for 3 days then came back! Hope I'm good by tomorrow....Birthday party day for my 11 yr old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAknVp_nTWE&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

bonesigh
04-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Um, just a quickie, snicker, snicker :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfH5N4YDqA&feature=youtu.be

RichM
04-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Um, just a quickie, snicker, snicker :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfH5N4YDqA&feature=youtu.be

Oooh, what a lovely slice of 70's cheese! That take me back. Now that's what I call a one-hit wonder!

Concertina
04-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Love love love this song. You did such a beautiful job.

pabrizzer
04-04-2014, 08:33 PM
We stuck to the one take rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPnufG39-Q
My son Curt on cajon and that's his 2 year old Jaxson at the end.

erivel
04-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Aloha Seasonistas! This is a song that was #1 when I was 11…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlIyiuz9jg&list=UUWnK-yNM96lCeQn0VwwiDjg&feature=share

redpaul1
04-04-2014, 10:09 PM
number one when i turned eleven

mull of kintyre

:uhoh:

it's not easy to sing

and trust me, i don't make it sound easy, either

but don't worry, the awesomeness and beauty of the doug frink number 11, that arrived with me today, will distract you from the warbling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl09_ibiT7Q

i road tested the eleven on some rock as well, you can see the vid here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9f4nSwG2Q

and i will also go put that on the island

thank you :bowdown: doug. thank you :bowdown: ginny

Wow! The DF11 sure does sound sweet! Hope to hear much more from it (? her? him?) in Seasons to come. Well done all for making this happen.

UkeCan1
04-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Did they say why? Because if you type "Lyin' Eyes cover" into YouTube, plenty of 'em come up ... many with both the song title and band name in the video title.

UkeCan1
04-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm so glad Watchyourtoes is back. Because 1) your video was awesome, and 2) I have been ransacking my memory all week to remember who did this for Season 98:

http://youtu.be/WyUAnSt1Sm0

Which serendipitously happens to be a wonderful cover of a 1HW, which I don't believe anyone's done yet this week. (And, if I'm right about that, will someone please rectify?) But that's not why I've been trying to remember it.

TCK and Concertina and Matty in particular need to see this. All of it.

The rest of you, if you haven't already seen Concertina's first offering from this week (http://youtu.be/pP8YEdSNHv4), you need to do that first: http://youtu.be/pP8YEdSNHv4

redpaul1
04-04-2014, 10:33 PM

"Hello young man! I'll have 50p each way please on MyNagsGotFleas. Now, where did I put my purse?"

Good luck today Max - and leave us a tip before you go!!

UkeCan1
04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Here's Concertina's first offering of the week, which you should watch before Watchyourtoes' Season 98 video I posted in post #236 (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94489-111th-Season-of-the-Ukulele&p=1504343#post1504343).

http://youtu.be/pP8YEdSNHv4

Tootler
04-04-2014, 11:36 PM

Did they say why? Because if you type "Lyin' Eyes cover" into YouTube, plenty of 'em come up ... many with both the song title and band name in the video title.

The Eagles - or their lawyers - are pretty well known for slapping takedown notices on any covers of their songs they find on You Tube. If you're not convinced, check with Seeso, he had his YT account blocked after putting up a cover of Hotel California. I suspect that there is an arrangement with YT to block all attempts to upload covers of Eagles songs. Those that are still there are likely ones that have not yet been dealt with.

The basic answer is don't bother covering any of their songs.

max2173
04-04-2014, 11:50 PM
"Hello young man! I'll have 50p each way please on MyNagsGotFleas. Now, where did I put my purse?"

Good luck today Max - and leave us a tip before you go!!

My tip is don't gamble! (I say that whenever I get asked for a tip.) Grab a pin, stick it in the list and bet on whatever it lands on. In the interest of leaving an actual tip, not that it will do any good, I like The Rainbow Hunter.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
04-05-2014, 12:07 AM
John Denver's Annie's song.
I know he was a lot more popular in other countries, and I have heard a lot more of his songs so I was amazed he only had one hit in the UK. He had this one at number 1 in 1974 and his next highest chart success was this one again at number 38 in 2012.
I didn't think I was going to be able to get this down as having found it and practised it I have gone down with a cold on Thursday night, hence the rougher than usual singing. I had some 'help' on this with my youngest [Nathan] as you can see, so I needed several takes to get one where he wasn't pushing the uke out of my hands as he climbed on my lap or was singing along too loud.

http://youtu.be/J-ojuHqMq50

Uploading as I type so it might not be ready till about 10:30 BST

Anyway, I think this is a great tune which I will retain in my set list.

xommen
04-05-2014, 01:06 AM
I decided to try to give you guys a song for every day of this season, so I guess there will be more. This is a great song if they do it, mine could be much better in my opinion. Anyway one of theirs is here with some great string arrangement in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIlCxA9EEfc

http://youtu.be/E7d1fSKy1I4

redpaul1
04-05-2014, 01:21 AM
My tip is don't gamble! (I say that whenever I get asked for a tip.) Grab a pin, stick it in the list and bet on whatever it lands on. In the interest of leaving an actual tip, not that it will do any good, I like The Rainbow Hunter.

Well we've already had 'The Rainbow Connection' twice this week - so who knows? It could be an omen!! :D

decaturcomp
04-05-2014, 02:34 AM
more back catalog although it's front catalog for someone else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKWOeUlad2A

pabrizzer
04-05-2014, 02:57 AM
This one hit wonder stuff - the world and I are just on different wave lengths. People who know me will say - der.

There ain't one Timbuk 3 song I don't think is just crazy good!

Split Enz were just great. Divinyls were terrific. And there is no way Kermit is a One Hit Wonder - what about his song about being green? The Church was inducted into the ARIA hall of fame for crys sake!

Then comes Rusty's Spirit in the Sky.

Thinks me - great song I'll bet Norman did some other beaut stuff.
Wrong - his follow up attempt was Canned Ham. Check it out - so truly terrible I thought about giving it a went.
Some one should.
And the guy is Jewish - singing about ham and Jesus. Went back to his dairy herd for a while but apparently made some kind of musical resurgence.

decaturcomp
04-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Der.

It's because you think for yourself, brother.

This one hit wonder stuff - the world and I are just on different wave lengths. People who know me will say - der.

There ain't one Timbuk 3 song I don't think is just crazy good!

Split Enz were just great. Divinyls were terrific. And there is no way Kermit is a One Hit Wonder - what about his song about being green? The Church was inducted into the ARIA hall of fame for crys sake!

Wrong - his follow up attempt was Canned Ham. Check it out - so truly terrible I thought about giving it a went.
Some one should.
And the guy is Jewish - singing about ham and Jesus. Went back to his dairy herd apparently.

CTurner
04-05-2014, 03:32 AM
Alan,

...more back catalog although it's front catalog for someone else...

Love this drivin' syncopation to the chord changes, Alan. No, there's nothin' funny about peace, love and understandin', dude! Though it does feel really nice...

more back catalog although it's front catalog for someone else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKWOeUlad2A

mythinformed
04-05-2014, 04:02 AM
Der.

It's because you think for yourself, brother.

I agree, I think you become wiser to the fact as you get older that most of this commercial stuff is for 'Sheeple' ........if the DJ's and the masters of media wizardry keep plugging it as good you will eventually believe it actually is no matter how dire and vice versa!!

Imo The real music is and always has been underground where the lowly paid musicians sweat out their stuff for the love of their music !!

29moons
04-05-2014, 04:59 AM

Some one should.
And the guy is Jewish - singing about ham and Jesus. Went back to his dairy herd for a while but apparently made some kind of musical resurgence.

My very first ukulele Yutube performance was a rendition of "Spirit In The Sky" for the Ukulele Godspell contest. The host was very concerned about copyrights so I took the time to get into contact with Norman Greenbaum who pointed me to the publishing company that held the rights to the song. They were very cool and granted me the rights to record a version and enter it. Norman was a very cool guy, easy to contact and very open about his "one hit wonder". He was also very kind about my version of his song. It is also my video with the most views at nearly 3000 views and 164 likes.

You can see it here if you want. http://youtu.be/0gVSun4aLuY

greenie44
04-05-2014, 05:01 AM
The Eagles - or their lawyers - are pretty well known for slapping takedown notices on any covers of their songs they find on You Tube. If you're not convinced, check with Seeso, he had his YT account blocked after putting up a cover of Hotel California. I suspect that there is an arrangement with YT to block all attempts to upload covers of Eagles songs. Those that are still there are likely ones that have not yet been dealt with.

The basic answer is don't bother covering any of their songs.

Saith The Dude - "I hate the f*****g Eagles"

Joko
04-05-2014, 05:36 AM
My entry for the 111th season is also a 'two-fers'. It was the #1 song on the American Billboard charts on my 11th birthday (in fact, it was the #1 selling single for the entire year 1981), and is very much from a 'one hit wonder'. The songwriter wrote several hit songs for other artists, including a duet she sang with Kenny Rogers, but this one defined her career. I think I messed up on the lyrics a bit. She didn't have Greta Garbot between her thighs, right? Didn't include the song's name in the title, but with all those clues, you should be able to guess what you're about to hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZemvWDljmbY