NUD Nica Tiki Uke

JoZe

Reaction score
Just thought I would show off my new baby. Arrived in the mail a few days ago. It's a Nica Tiki ukulele. Made in Nicaragua. Nice mellow sound. Mahogany top. Cocobolo back and sides.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 60
Very pretty.....let's hear it!

I would love for you to hear it, but I don't know how to upload audio. I cost $325.00. Much cheaper than what I found here in the states. I contacted Kevin at Nica Tiki directly.

Thanks for showing off your new baby! I hope that you are still loving her and giving her all the attention that she needs every day :)

If anyone else is interesting in more information please get in touch with us. We also do custom orders with cocobolo tops for $399. They sound different than any ukulele I have ever heard and are really pretty. Here are some pictures of a recent custom order:

1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

Kevin Keith
NicaTiki Ukuleles
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
US Phone #: (415) 799-8850
www.nicatikiukuleles.com

Last edited:
Hello and welcome Kevin. Thanks for posting and the ukuleles look awesome. Can you post a sound sample of the all solid cocobolo ukulele? Thanks.

Very nice ukes! I have always been drawn to the vertical elements in headstocks and bodies - visually stunning! Kevin, how did you end up in Nicaragua and what brought you to ukulele making?

Thank you for your kind words hent. I wish I had made some videos with the most recent custom cocobolo top, but I was so excited to send it and didn't get a chance. With the next one I will for sure. I have a couple of videos of our regular cocobolo back/sides with mahogany tops so that you can get an idea.

This first video review was made by John Gonzalez who carries our line in his store Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond, Virginia. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable about ukuleles. He has been a great help to us over the last 6 months as we have been refining our design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlb27-Wpmc

Here is a link to another thread where John and others were discussing our ukes:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90758-Nica-Tiki-Ukulele

The second video is of my business partner Dave Jones. It is from our web page:

http://ukulelesnicaragua.com/ukulele-videos.html

Both of the videos will give you an idea of the sound of our ukuleles. The cocobolo tops produce a much fuller sound that isn't quite as high pitched. The sustain is impressive. I am kicking myself for not making a video. Maybe I will ask my customer to make one for me :) This was his fourth uke that he has bought from us and he is really excited about helping get the word out for us.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions,

Kevin

Thank you as well UkeJenny. I like your comment that our ukes are 'visually stunning'. I feel like each uke is an individual work of art with a unique personality of its own. Our last batch had several ukes that looked like they must have been painted. I couldn't believe the grain design in the cocobolo. Ukulele Underground has a limited amount of photo storage, but I just updated our Facebook page today:

https://www.facebook.com/nicatikiukuleles

As for what brought me to Nicaragua... after graduating from college I decided to take a 'short break' and travel before settling down. I explored different parts of the world, but when I made it to Nicaragua I fell in love with surfing, the Nicaraguan culture, $1 beers, and eventually with my fiance Adalina :) We are getting married in December.

Although I participate greatly in the design and quality control of our ukuleles, the man that deserves the credit is Silvio Conto. Silvio is one of the most respected guitar and ukulele luthiers in Central America. We are very lucky to have him working with us.

Thanks for all of your interest. Let me know if you have any other questions of comments.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
I will say that my uke has much more sustain than my Islander Maple Concert. The sound is more mellow/ warm also but with plenty of punch. The neck is a lot smaller which makes it easier to get to some hard notes. Still like my Islander but am having a blast with this one.

Top Bottom