PDA

View Full Version : KPK Longneck Pineapple Soprano

jjdejd
03-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Anybody know if this uke is on the way? Heard a while back they were thinking about it. Sent KPK an email and no response?

peaceweaver3
03-30-2014, 08:01 AM
I heard from Jason in early March. At that point they'd had an apparently unscheduled 5-week vacation in Jan. So they're on the way, but no firm production dates. He did say prices would probably be about $10 less than the same concert model, i.e. depdnding on binding, etc. If you email and ask to be on the list, you'll be the first to know. I'm on the list but frankly, the waiting has gotten to me and I've moved on to other, more available choices. :o

wildfire070
03-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I just bought a KPK and was told that the longneck models would be available in May.

jjdejd
03-30-2014, 03:10 PM
I just bought a KPK and was told that the longneck models would be available in May.

Thanks. I'll check the website in May.

wildfire070
03-30-2014, 04:32 PM
It might be a good idea to check in with Jason and ask to be placed on his email list in case the longnecks turn out to be limited run models as those won't show up on his site.

jjdejd
03-30-2014, 04:57 PM
It might be a good idea to check in with Jason and ask to be placed on his email list in case the longnecks turn out to be limited run models as those won't show up on his site.

I sent an inquiry in a couple of times in the last 4-6 weeks and got no response. This is why I'm posting here for more info.

wildfire070
03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
That's odd. I've emailed him within the past couple of weeks and he's replied promptly within a couple of days of each of my messages. My emails to Jason have been going to this address: info(at)pilikoko.com

jjdejd
03-30-2014, 07:42 PM
That's odd. I've emailed him within the past couple of weeks and he's replied promptly within a couple of days of each of my messages. My emails to Jason have been going to this address: info(at)pilikoko.com

I've been using the "contact box" on the website. I'll try this address. Thanks.

PhilUSAFRet
03-31-2014, 05:18 AM
I'm waiting on one too. I hope he does some more with the tortoise or black binding

wildfire070
03-31-2014, 07:03 AM
He said he would be offering them in most models, even the rosewood binding since this is the first time he'll be offering longnecks since 2009. Not sure if he will have a longneck with the tortoise shell binding, but the maple and rosewood I'm sure will be available.

I just received my soprano with tortoise shell binding and it is a beaut! The sound is amazing as well.

sonomajazz
03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
I sent an inquiry in a couple of times in the last 4-6 weeks and got no response. This is why I'm posting here for more info.

Email reply from Jason today...

Hi Fred,

Let me address your first email along with this second one together. For the Pineapple Soprano in Acacia, it is sold out. The Mahogany versions came out January 2014 and are available.

As for the longnecks, the tentative date is May 2014. I do have a backup plan in case the container gets delayed. If that is the case, I will be rush shipping a batch of the longnecks by air to make them available in May. As for the selection of models, the Soprano will be available in the regular, original deluxe, maple binding deluxe and rosewood binding deluxe. For the pineapples, it will only be available in the regular and original deluxe.

Usually I open up the availability of the pineapples to other models over time. This is partially due to the demand on the pineapples being not as high as the traditional shape. So for this first production run, I based the pineapples off of input I received on what preferences were.

Mahalo

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM,
<sonomajazz@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Jason,

When do you expect to have the Long neck soprano in stock? Can you quote a price at this time?

Thanks

jjdejd
03-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Just heard from KPK. Got the same date - May 2014.

Jim Hanks
06-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Ooh, this is an interesting thread since I've been looking at things like the Kala SLNG and Gretsch 9100L. We're past May and the web site still says "coming soon". Anybody else heard anything?

PereBourik
06-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Jason knows that I'm interested in a pineapple l/n. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me. With as many 'ukulele as I have waiting for another is no emergency.

PereBourik
06-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I just checked his site. I see he's updated it in the last few days. Should be something happening soon.

Jim Hanks
06-08-2014, 06:37 PM
I was also liking the no bling pineapple. Sent an email earlier this evening.

Jim Hanks
06-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Hey folks, I got an initial reply from Jason. I won't copy the whole thing here, but suffice it to say that he got a small batch of longnecks - 6 but didn't say what models or if any were already preordered - in a rush order as mentioned by @sonomajazz in post #11. It will probably be this weekend before they hit the web site and probably a week to two before they would be ready for delivery due to his setup schedule. That's all I know so far.

Jim Hanks
06-11-2014, 02:14 AM
One more tidbit. Prices are set as mentioned before at $10 less than concert so $175/200/230 for regular/deluxe/wood-binding.

Very tempting now. I'd say my choices are down to Kala SLNG ($90-110 shipped), Gretsch 9100L ($130 shipped) and KPK ($175 shipped). Of course KPK is the only solid one in the bunch and is "koa cousin" which is different than anything else I have. Hmmmm.

UkerDanno
06-11-2014, 06:30 PM
One more tidbit. Prices are set as mentioned before at $10 less than concert so $175/200/230 for regular/deluxe/wood-binding.

Very tempting now. I'd say my choices are down to Kala SLNG ($90-110 shipped), Gretsch 9100L ($130 shipped) and KPK ($175 shipped). Of course KPK is the only solid one in the bunch and is "koa cousin" which is different than anything else I have. Hmmmm.

I have a KA-SLNG, for $65, I'd trade up to the KPK in an instant!

bigandtall
06-19-2014, 06:13 AM
I have a KA-SLNG, for $65, I'd trade up to the KPK in an instant!

I'm thinking of the KA-SLNG... do you not like it? Or just think that the KPK would be much better?

Jim Hanks
06-19-2014, 08:07 AM
I just ordered a KA-SLNG from Mim today. After tomorrow, she is going on vacation for a week, so if you want one from her, better order today. I might still get the KPK eventually, but I haven't heard from Jason in a week, so figured for $100 I'll give the SLNG a try and see if I even like the form factor. They seem to be generally well liked, so I figure I can get most of my money back out of it if I don't like it for some reason.

bigandtall
06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
This is good to know. I was talking to Mike at UkeRepublic and he has it, but for $120. I might give him a call to see if he can come close to matching Mim's price.

bigandtall
06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Just called MIM and ended up going with an Ohana CK10. Full concert size seemed better in the long run.

Jim Hanks
06-23-2014, 03:03 PM
To get this thread back on track, I'm still interested in the KPK longneck, but KPK seems to have gone silent. I sent an email and a contact form two weeks ago but have not heard back. Going back earler in this very thread, this seems to be somewhat normal, but it's not a real good business practice to ignore potential customers. Anybody else heard from Jason?

Jim Hanks
08-08-2014, 02:41 PM
For anyone still interested, longnecks are now listed on the KPK website http://pilikoko.com/
All models at available for selection on the order form. I placed a request for PayPal invoice on a pineapple longneck earlier today but no response yet.

PereBourik
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Mine has shipped, expected next week.

PereBourik
08-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Should be a few in other peoples' hands. Held off on shipping mine due to travel.

Jim Hanks
08-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Mine has shipped, expected next week.
Trying to keep all the goodies to yourself, I see. :rolleyes:

What model did you order?

PhilUSAFRet
08-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I just ordered a soprano pineapple long neck, wish me luck. Hoping the rosewood nut/saddle works as well on this as the ebony does on my KPK concert model....amazing ringing woody bark.

Thanks for pointing them out Jim, I was waiting on them.............I was looking for one before anyone else knew he would have them.

Jim Hanks
08-09-2014, 11:49 AM
I just ordered a soprano pineapple long neck, wish me luck. Hoping the rosewood nut/saddle works as well on this as the ebony does on my KPK concert model....amazing ringing woody bark.

Thanks for pointing them out Jim, I was waiting on them.............I was looking for one before anyone else knew he would have them.
Same one I ordered! Probably at least one of us will get disappointed. :p yeah, I was waiting on them, gave up, and then clicked on the web site on a whim, and there they were. Yeah, let's hope they are real this time. If PereBourik posts a pic, maybe then I'll start getting my hopes up.

PereBourik
08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
I need a decent & not too expensive uke for the office. It's a pineapple long neck with bone n/s. I'd asked Jason if KPK was going to do one back around Christmas time. He said yes and that they'd probably be ready for orders mid-April. Well, that kinda stretched out, didn't it?

Really looking forward to it, if not the wife's scowl when it's delivered. Like bad weather, that'll pass.

sam13
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I am interested in the Soprano long neck Pineapple as well. Any one have a sound sample to share yet?

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Here's standard KPK pineapple deluxe being compared to a Kamaka. I have the KPK concert cutaway and I didn't hesitate to order the new soprano pineapple long neck. I like the ebony nut and saddle so much on my concert that I ordered it with the rosewood nut and saddle. I can add the bone ones any time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQQ-a3k-WI

DownUpDave
08-11-2014, 04:55 AM
I am interested in the Soprano long neck Pineapple as well. Any one have a sound sample to share yet?

Just order it. About time you expanded your stable, Pono is nice but there are other makes out there you know. Plus that way I get to play it too :cool:

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2014, 05:01 AM
Just order it. About time you expanded your stable, Pono is nice but there are other makes out there you know. Plus that way I get to play it too :cool:

Can you say "conflict of interest?" :music: LOL

DownUpDave
08-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Can you say "conflict of interest?" :music: LOL

Nope, just a friendly push. As a bonus I will let him play my Loprinzi. ;)

sam13
08-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks Phil for posting ... I liked the KoAloha the best, but was quite impressed with the KPK PineApple and might have to pick one up ... one day. Currently working out details on a Baritone ... cheers.

Hey Dave, did you get a LoPrinzi? Where?

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I love the Ko'Aloha soprano longneck pineapple too, just don't want one bad enough to pay that much.

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Nope, just a friendly push. As a bonus I will let him play my Loprinzi. ;)

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

sam13
08-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I love the Ko'Aloha soprano longneck pineapple too, just don't want one bad enough to pay that much.

I agree with you ... I am really enjoying my tenors and have placed an order for a LFdM in April 2015 ... and waiting for a Pro Classic Pono Baritone ... so kind of just waiting it out ...

PereBourik
08-13-2014, 03:51 AM
OK - so it came yesterday, right on schedule. No sound sample until the strings settle and pics will have to wait too. Impressions:

I was surprised at how pretty it is. The abalone binding is eye-catching; it's my first ukulele with ornament. The wood grain is striking, very much like Koa. The fretwork is even and clean. All the frets are finished flush with the neck, no finger-catchers. The finish is kind of open pore semi-gloss, like sprayed but not sanded and polished. At this price point the ukulele stunning.

Sound - I'm waiting for the strings to settle. First impressions are that this is a quieter uke. Intonation is good at the 12th fret. The balance is pretty good, but the C string sounds a little dead. It sounds flat when the tuner shows in tune. Again, in a week I'll let you know.

Jim Hanks
08-13-2014, 04:02 AM
ooh, can't wait to hear more! I finally heard back from Jason yesterday, but still haven't seen an invoice yet.

PereBourik
08-13-2014, 07:51 AM
The action is good; no buzzing anywhere. BUT, the action is very low at the nut. I suspect that there might be a buzz if fitted with thicker strings like Aquila or nylon. Fitted strings are Worth CM according to the website. I have the bone nut & saddle.

I played my KoAloha pineapple l/n this morning. It is louder and brighter. Ok, it should be. It isn't hard to hear the difference. I haven't played any other of the Hawaiian pineapples to offer a comparison. Taken on its own, the sound of this ukulele is balanced and full. Round, not jangly, if that makes any sense.

At this price this uke is a crazy good value.

peaceweaver3
08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks, PereBourik, your impressions are helpful. I'd been interested in this uke for a while, and though I've decided on another one, it's great to see these available and hear what people think. Looking forward to the sound sample!

PhilUSAFRet
08-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't remember what strings come on it, but it sure shouldn't be "quieter."

PereBourik
08-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't remember what strings come on it, but it sure shouldn't be "quieter."

Worth Clear Medium according to Jason on the website. Yes it is quieter than my KoAloha pineapple l/n, as one would expect. Probably about the same volume as my Flea but with better tone. I haven't measured the top thickness, but giving it the "thump test" suggests that the top is thicker than the KoAloha, KoAlana, and the Imua concerts. I don't play soprano so I can't compare.

The Acacia wood is beautiful, actually prettier than the KoAloha.

PhilUSAFRet
08-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I have Aquilas on my KPK concert and it sounds so totally amazing I fully intend to put them on the pineapple. Had a pair of Worth clears on something or another, quickly removed them and haven't tried them again. Lots of folks like them from what I hear.

PereBourik
08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I have Aquilas on my KPK concert and it sounds so totally amazing I fully intend to put them on the pineapple. Had a pair of Worth clears on something or another, quickly removed them and haven't tried them again. Lots of folks like them from what I hear.

Everybody has their own tastes. Aquilas aren't to mine. I'm a fluorocarbon fan myself. "Quieter" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall the sound is really nice.

Jim Hanks
08-15-2014, 03:12 AM
Invoice received and paid. Let the real waiting begin. :iwant::nana:

PhilUSAFRet
08-15-2014, 05:02 AM
If you haven't heard Aquilas on a KPK and compared them to others, not sure you can know how they will sound, compared to other strings. Personally, I don't believe any one kind of string sounds best on everything. I suggest some of you just haven't heard Aquilas on the "right" instrument. My old Cordoba Tenor came with Aquilas and I couldn't get them off fast enough.... very "brash" sounding. A few of us have found that Aquilas sound amazing on our vintage Martin sopranos. Louder isn't necessarily a bad thing either or Ko'Alohas wouldn't be as popular as they are. Regarding fluorocarbons, they don't necessary sound great on everything, nor do they sound bad on everything...although I admit they are probably more "versatile" than most. Good luck to all buying the new KPK long neck soprano pineapple. May we all get it sounding exactly the way we like.

PereBourik
08-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I finally recorded a sample and comparison of my KPK. I've used a Flea concert neck for comparison. The strings on the KPK are the standard Worth CM. The Flea has Martin M600.

The KPK is Acacia wood and the grain is pretty nice. I like the binding, though I tend to go for plain ukuleles.

The recording is made with my iPad with no post-editing so the on board camera and mic are what you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmsVLBtwN0

Jim Hanks
08-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks Pere! From that sample, I'd say I prefer the KPK tone overall - sounds "crisper" although the Flea has a nice lower undertone missing on the KPK. I'll be curious to see if the low G mine is coming with yields 'the best of both' there.

PereBourik
08-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks Pere! From that sample, I'd say I prefer the KPK tone overall - sounds "crisper" although the Flea has a nice lower undertone missing on the KPK. I'll be curious to see if the low G mine is coming with yields 'the best of both' there.

That's how I heard it too. I didn't notice it until playing them back to back. Played apart I though they were pretty similar. Not to rekindle the debate, but strings will make a big difference on both these ukes.

I though the Flea was a good choice as there are a lot of them out there and the prices are in the same neighborhood.

bobinde
08-21-2014, 01:41 PM
That's how I heard it too. I didn't notice it until playing them back to back. Played apart I though they were pretty similar. Not to rekindle the debate, but strings will make a big difference on both these ukes.

I though the Flea was a good choice as there are a lot of them out there and the prices are in the same neighborhood.

Pere, How true! I just put a set of Kala Reds on my KPK acacia Tenor and it sounds completely different! Softer, more mellow, a great fingerpicking sound. Not what I was looking for, but I'm glad it happened!

bobinde

PereBourik
08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if some lower tone develops as the KPK opens up. It is a solid wood instrument after all.

PereBourik
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Pere, How true! I just put a set of Kala Reds on my KPK acacia Tenor and it sounds completely different! Softer, more mellow, a great fingerpicking sound. Not what I was looking for, but I'm glad it happened!

bobinde

If you want something completely different try a set of Kala Pearls. That wound nylon sound is amazing. One caveat. If you use an Oasis humidifier hanging in the sound hole it will damage the winding on the strings.

Jim Hanks
08-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Mine is here! I had literally about 5 minutes with it tonight before having to get the youngest off to bed. I hope to do a NUD post and comparison video against the SLNG over the weekend. Very, very first impressions: very pretty wood, darker than I expected Acacia to be, not sure yet about low G on it (but strings are no where close to settled), great setup, fret markers are kinda odd - no 12th dot and only the one dot on the side. More later.

PereBourik
08-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Mine is here! I had literally about 5 minutes with it tonight before having to get the youngest off to bed. I hope to do a NUD post and comparison video against the SLNG over the weekend. Very, very first impressions: very pretty wood, darker than I expected Acacia to be, not sure yet about low G on it (but strings are no where close to settled), great setup, fret markers are kinda odd - no 12th dot and only the one dot on the side. More later.

Hope you get some nice bonding time.

PhilUSAFRet
08-22-2014, 03:39 AM
I can only speak of my KPK concert acacia for the time being, but with Aquilas, I think it has an awesome, woody, ringing bark to it a' la' Kamaka with bright strings. I'll have to wait until my long neck arrives to see how I like the worth strings in person, but I'll likely put Aquilas on it. (no, I don't like Aquilas on everything)

Thank you for the demo Peter, great job.

bnolsen
08-22-2014, 12:56 PM
sounds nice and well intonated. Sounds like a good value. The flea is well showcased and honestly really is a fine instrument by itself.

PhilUSAFRet
08-23-2014, 01:23 PM
I ordered and paid for mine on the 15th, had to install bone nut/saddle. No word since order. I have the invoice number. Any ideas about this?

Jim Hanks
08-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Send a message from the web form and ask. Jason's email seems kinda squirrelly but he has usually replied fairly promptly from the web form. FWIW, he told me last weekend that mine would ship "Monday or Tuesday and I'll get you tracking info". I never saw the tracking info but it arrived on Thursday - pleasant surprise.

PereBourik
08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I ordered and paid for mine on the 15th, had to install bone nut/saddle. No word since order. I have the invoice number. Any ideas about this?

Send a message from the web form and ask. Jason's email seems kinda squirrelly but he has usually replied fairly promptly from the web form. FWIW, he told me last weekend that mine would ship "Monday or Tuesday and I'll get you tracking info". I never saw the tracking info but it arrived on Thursday - pleasant surprise.

Mine took about 2 weeks from order to possession.

I'd been emailing Jason off and on since about the first of the year.

PhilUSAFRet
08-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys

PereBourik
08-24-2014, 03:35 AM

Same fret markings as mine. Dots at 5, 7, 10. Side marker at 7.

Jim Hanks
08-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Here's my comparison video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcpHxZRpg0

PhilUSAFRet
08-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Nice comparison. Thanks for sharing. Now, if my KPK will just come.