Lefty question...

Prettyshy

Reaction score
Okay, So I'm getting my beautiful New ukulele Friday from musicguymic and he's switching the strings for a lefty. I wanted to know, If I switch the strings to lefty, Do I still have to "Flip" the Tabs? Like I've heard people say that you have to "Flip" the tabs of a song so a lefty player can play. Do I have to do it if I already Switch the strings for a lefty?

I've never heard of flipping the tabs for a lefty. :O If your instrument is strung left-handed for you, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn how to read tabs. :D

And holy crap, another Long Islander! Where on the Island?

you shouldnt need to as long as you know what the annotations mean on the tab.

if you are restringing the ukulele as a lefty, you are basically flipping the strings upside down, but when you hold it as such as a lefty, then the first string is still on the bottom and the fourth string is still on the top.

so when you read the tab, the top line is still the first string. if you see a 3 on the first line, you depress the first string on your ukulele (the A string) on the 3rd fret still.

I've never heard of flipping the tabs for a lefty. :O If your instrument is strung left-handed for you, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn how to read tabs. :D

And holy crap, another Long Islander! Where on the Island?

Okay, Thanks both of you <3

I'm From Valley Stream :]]

Awesome! I'm from Westbury and I work in Valley Stream. :eek: Didn't think there were any other uke players in Nassau at all.

Awesome! I'm from Westbury and I work in Valley Stream. :eek: Didn't think there were any other uke players in Nassau at all.
Kewl, I think I'm one of the only one's in Nassau. People giving me funny looks when I say I play the ukulele, There like "wtf, is that!?"

Same here. Everyone seems to think it's a toy, or just a little guitar. :( Something tells me all the uke players in NY are in the city. I'm looking forward to the New York Uke Fest in May; see if you can make it too!

Yes you will have to read the chords differently. The strings are in a different order from a righthander. No big deal once you start reading them. If you think of a regular tab chart as from left to right GCEA you will have to realize that G is the 4th C 3rd E 2nd and A 1st. Your uke is strung left to right A E C G so refer to your strings if you sat it next to the chart as 1 2 3 4 l-R.

Yes you will have to read the chords differently. The strings are in a different order from a righthander. No big deal once you start reading them. If you think of a regular tab chart as from left to right GCEA you will have to realize that G is the 4th C 3rd E 2nd and A 1st. Your uke is strung left to right A E C G so refer to your strings if you sat it next to the chart as 1 2 3 4 l-R.

This post only applies if you don't switch the strings around. I once tried to learn how to play the guitar left handed (kurt cobain influence) and I switched the strings and fingering was the same.

Yeah, that's the confusion. There's two possible ways for a lefty to play the uke (or three, if you count just learning right handed, which I did!) Either you can flip the strings, in which case you would play the chords the same, or you can flip the chords, in which case you can leave the strings the same. The latter would be pretty cool too if you would then just flip it the other way when your hand gets tired and play right handed!

Im a lefty too but decided to learn right handed. I figure there are less lefty ukulele players than rightys so my chances of being able to pick up another person ukulele setup for lefty would be pretty slim...

The reason why I decided to learn right handed is becasue I learned to play golf left handed and it sucks cuz I can never try out any body elses clubs... I havent met any other left handed golf players....;).. I figured the ratio would be the same for ukulele players

Top Bottom