Among the 1st of Mainland Chinese Uke Groups

Luke El U

Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who offered advice on activities for a new group in my earlier post. Last night we had our first performance. The new uke players were soooooo excited about what they've accomplished in a little more than a month and are very eager to learn and perform more. The picture shows less than half of us and more are signing up. We are certainly the first such group in Fujian Province (pop. 37 million) and one of the first in Mainland China (excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 87
Awesome!!!! Nice bunch of happy ukulele players. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks all. The city of Xiamen is an island on the southern coast of China across the Straights from Taiwan. We have a sub-tropical climate. In May we hope to have our first beach party. Then, I'll try to have a video made and posted. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Very cool. But I have to admit, when I read the headline, I thought it was a thread about Mainland Ukes being used by a group in China. I thought, "Wow, Mike is really expanding his business!" :)

Me too. The mind jumps to roped binding everytime I see this thread title. Pavlovian.

Very cool. But I have to admit, when I read the headline, I thought it was a thread about Mainland Ukes being used by a group in China. I thought, "Wow, Mike is really expanding his business!" :)

Congratulations on the new group. Hope it brings you all much joy.

I've sold a few to people in Mainland China. I've even sold one to a guy on Easter Island.

i am haunted with the thought of a billion chinese at it with their ukuleles. there is such a thing,, as too much of a good thing.

Sorry about that, Mike, I didn't mean to hijack your brand name. I just needed to make a distinction between us in (uke-starved) mainland China as opposed to Hong Kong and Taiwan where the uke has already been very popular for many years. Incidentally, I would be happier if the people here would be willing to invest in a high quality uke such as the real "Mainland Ukes". As it is, most folks here would consider it a splurge to spend the equivalent of $60USD on such an instrument. This is broader issue all across the mainland here, as Chinese traditionally value saving as opposed to spending.

so a good gift to a sister in-law in China would be a uke? need to probably get tabs for music more familiar to them.

Top Bottom