Worlds Most Expensive Ukulele??

WashAshore

Reaction score
I just read that a Stradivarius viola is expected to fetch forty five million dollars a Sotheby's auction!
That got me to thinking about what the world's most expensive Ukulele would sell for. Would it be a
Martin 5K?

It'd probably have to be made from the same tree that provided the wood for Iz's coffin, if ther was any left...

Once you get up to five figures, you are typically looking at rarity and collectability driving price. Vintage Martin 5Ks tend to start around $10K and go up, due to the fact that there aren't that many of them and they are in high demand.

Price is ultimately always based on supply and demand. For a pricey new musical instrument, a very small percentage of that is tied up in the materials. Most of what you're paying for is the time, experience, and skill of a top-notch luthier. In the mandolin world, top builder like Steve Gilchrist and Lynn Dudenbostel command $25K and up for a new instrument and sell everything they build. Are they worth it? Clearly they are, since there are a lot of people willing to pay it.

Wasn't there a new DeVine that was in Pua Pua for $18k a while back?

I just read that a Stradivarius viola is expected to fetch forty five million dollars a Sotheby's auction!
That got me to thinking about what the world's most expensive Ukulele would sell for. Would it be a
Martin 5K?

There's three vintage 5k's on ebay right now that aren't selling, and one is listed at 7450.00. He had it listed at 6895.00, a while ago, and it didn't sell then either.

My next ukulele will be the world's most expensive, according to my wife. It will cost some parts of my body I've grown rather fond of, over the years....

If Iz's favorite uke wasn't cremated with him, it would probably be the world's most expensive ukulele!

A few years ago there was a Gibson Poinsettia uke that went on eBay in the same ballpark as that National mentioned above.

FWIW - the folks at the shop where I play have pointed out that ukes over $2000 or so almost *never* go to players, mainly to collectors to hang on their walls. And as anyone who has ever been into vintage "anything" knows, collectibles are only worth what someone will pay for them, leading to some pretty arbitrary values.

My next ukulele will be the world's most expensive, according to my wife. It will cost some parts of my body I've grown rather fond of, over the years....

Ha! Almost spit my coffee out!:rotfl:

In the mandolin world, top builder like Steve Gilchrist and Lynn Dudenbostel command $25K and up for a new instrument and sell everything they build. Are they worth it? Clearly they are, since there are a lot of people willing to pay it.

I just learned this myself yesterday, while chatting with a cycling buddy who is a mandolin player. I think he said there were three builders who routinely command $25k and up and the next level down has a handful of builders who get $10k-15k. I was really surprised. Makes me appreciate even more so (as if that's possible ;-) Chuck Moore, Jay Lichty and Beau Hannam. Let's hope they don't convert to mandolin building. ;-)

A few years ago there was a Gibson Poinsettia uke that went on eBay in the same ballpark as that National mentioned above.

FWIW - the folks at the shop where I play have pointed out that ukes over $2000 or so almost *never* go to players, mainly to collectors to hang on their walls. And as anyone who has ever been into vintage "anything" knows, collectibles are only worth what someone will pay for them, leading to some pretty arbitrary values.

I suspect your shop guys need to get out more, Janeray -- anybody here who has instruments by Chuck Moore, Beau Hannam, Jay Lichty, or John Kinnard, just to name the first few that come to mind, not playing them? I kind of have the feeling that if any of these builders knew their uke was going to be locked away in a glass case and unplayed, they wouldn't make it for you …

Of course, I have been wrong before ...

I suspect your shop guys need to get out more, Janeray -- anybody here who has instruments by Chuck Moore, Beau Hannam, Jay Lichty, or John Kinnard, just to name the first few that come to mind, not playing them? I kind of have the feeling that if any of these builders knew their uke was going to be locked away in a glass case and unplayed, they wouldn't make it for you …

I'm pretty sure you're right, Steve. $2000 isn't considered an expensive instrument anywhere else but in the ukulele world. Right here on UU we probably have at least 100 examples of people who own high-end instruments and play them like crazy.

There's a local classical guitar builder, Jeffrey Elliott, whose waiting list at one point stretched out to twelve years before he closed it.

Twelve years.

His used instruments go for fifteen to twenty grand, and as nearly as I can tell, they go to players and not collectors.

I suspect there are some stashed away, and there are uke collectors with rooms full of 'em they don't play, but I'd guess they were the exception rather than the rule. There was a thread recently in which a player who has two Chuck Moore ukes was talking about taking a beater to the beach, and Chuck chimed in: Hey, you got two, take one with you. Seems like the sign of a man who wants his creations played.

I should have been more specific - I was referring to the typical vintage "collector" ukes, e.g. Martin 5K, Gibson Poinsettia, etc. since the shop deals in a lot of vintage. Can't say I've ever ukes from any of the above builders come through; probably the two most expensive ones I've seen have been a 5K and a Taylor.

Although when I bought my Ohta-San a couple weeks back, one of the guys at the shop commented that he was glad that it was going to someone who would actually play it rather than lock it away in a case... and that wasn't even price-wise close to those you just named.

Gibson poinsettia.

Top Bottom