have you strung your Kamaka Ohta-San reentrant instead of low G?

janeray1940

Reaction score
If so, what did you think? This came up for discussion in this thread, the OP wanted to know if there are any problems in doing so. I can't try it on mine right now since I'm in the midst of an all low-G, all the time project, but I do personally know someone who plays hers reentrant and she has no issues with it. Would love to hear from others. Thanks!

I have a 10 year old Ohta-San using high-G. Very resonant and sounds beautiful. Never had a low G on it

Ms M,
I just strung my soprano re entrant oasis and it is loud and pundhy with alot of resonation and substain....so much I dropped the tuning and love it so much...
some may like this as I Do, or you can go warmer with thicker or medium strings .....

I have a 10 year old Ohta-San using high-G. Very resonant and sounds beautiful. Never had a low G on it

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any reason why it wouldn't sound great. Looking forward to trying it with mine in the future.

Ms M,
I just strung my soprano re entrant oasis and it is loud and pundhy with alot of resonation and substain....so much I dropped the tuning and love it so much...
some may like this as I Do, or you can go warmer with thicker or medium strings .....

Stan, I'm a little confused by your reply - are you referring to a soprano, or an Ohta-San? The question was specific to the Ohta-San.

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any reason why it wouldn't sound great. Looking forward to trying it with mine in the future.

Stan, I'm a little confused by your reply - are you referring to a soprano, or an Ohta-San? The question was specific to the Ohta-San.
Sorry M, I just wanted to add on my soprano and how strings affect the sound so much...:)

Last edited:
Sorry M, I just wanted to add on my soprano and how strings affect the sound so much...:)

Ah, got it - thanks for the clarification. A friend gave me a set of Oasis and I'm going to give them a try when I'm due for my next string change - not sure if I'm going to put them on the pineapple or the HF-2.

Thanks for the comments guys and gals! Can't wait to get my hands on an Ohta-San. Btw anyone can share the tonal differences between the HF-2D and HB-2D in terms of tone, sustain, clarity etc?

015.jpg this one of my old ohta san sold already..450.00
woo hoo I got it now Ms M....just cannot figure how to post it on the reply thread.....you got any ideas....thank you in advance
Danny is SUPER guy.......isnt he ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom