PDA

View Full Version : have you strung your Kamaka Ohta-San reentrant instead of low G?

janeray1940
03-31-2014, 06:34 AM
If so, what did you think? This came up for discussion in this thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94297-Kamaka-HF-2D-or-HB-2D), the OP wanted to know if there are any problems in doing so. I can't try it on mine right now since I'm in the midst of an all low-G, all the time project, but I do personally know someone who plays hers reentrant and she has no issues with it. Would love to hear from others. Thanks!

brUKEman
04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
I have a 10 year old Ohta-San using high-G. Very resonant and sounds beautiful. Never had a low G on it

mm stan
04-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Ms M,
I just strung my soprano re entrant oasis and it is loud and pundhy with alot of resonation and substain....so much I dropped the tuning and love it so much...
some may like this as I Do, or you can go warmer with thicker or medium strings .....

janeray1940
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a 10 year old Ohta-San using high-G. Very resonant and sounds beautiful. Never had a low G on it

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any reason why it wouldn't sound great. Looking forward to trying it with mine in the future.

Ms M,
I just strung my soprano re entrant oasis and it is loud and pundhy with alot of resonation and substain....so much I dropped the tuning and love it so much...
some may like this as I Do, or you can go warmer with thicker or medium strings .....

Stan, I'm a little confused by your reply - are you referring to a soprano, or an Ohta-San? The question was specific to the Ohta-San.

mm stan
04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks, I didn't think there would be any reason why it wouldn't sound great. Looking forward to trying it with mine in the future.

Stan, I'm a little confused by your reply - are you referring to a soprano, or an Ohta-San? The question was specific to the Ohta-San.
Sorry M, I just wanted to add on my soprano and how strings affect the sound so much...:)

janeray1940
04-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Sorry M, I just wanted to add on my soprano and how strings affect the sound so much...:)

Ah, got it - thanks for the clarification. A friend gave me a set of Oasis and I'm going to give them a try when I'm due for my next string change - not sure if I'm going to put them on the pineapple or the HF-2.

yehosaphat
04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and gals! Can't wait to get my hands on an Ohta-San. Btw anyone can share the tonal differences between the HF-2D and HB-2D in terms of tone, sustain, clarity etc?

mm stan
04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
65464 this one of my old ohta san sold already..450.00
woo hoo I got it now Ms M....just cannot figure how to post it on the reply thread.....you got any ideas....thank you in advance
Danny is SUPER guy.......isnt he ;)