14 or 12 fret.

violinvic

Reaction score
I just received my plans from Hawaii for a concert uke and they give you the option of 14 or 12 frets. Is one more common than the other.? I can go either way, I would just like to have your opinions. Are there advantages to one or the other? How about fitting into a standard concert uke case? Thanx, Pals, Vic.

I just received my plans from Hawaii for a concert uke and they give you the option of 14 or 12 frets. Is one more common than the other.? I can go either way, I would just like to have your opinions. Are there advantages to one or the other? How about fitting into a standard concert uke case? Thanx, Pals, Vic.

As long as the bridge ends up in the sweet spot (near the center of the lower bout (12, 14, 13 or whatever,) it isn't that important. Build for sound, the better sounding ukes get played.

If you get 14, you can likely pluck a reasonable, if not rather cutting, sound up to fret 12 (to play a reasonable sound on frets 13 or 14 is unlikely as they are spaced so closely and sound like plucking a men's hair comb, and they are way in the body (unless you get a cutaway)).

If you get a twelve fret, you can only really play listenable picks to fret 10 or 11.

I've built the Hana Lima plan with both 12 and 14 frets to body. The lower bout on that plan is generous enough that both will work out suitably well.

So the decision comes down to what your personal preference is. Your building it for yourself, then choose which would be most appropriate for you.

The difference in overall instrument length between a 12 and 14 fret body join is not all that much. And should not affect the fit of the instrument into any case. Far more likely that the head stock design would have more of a factor on that front.

If you get a twelve fret, you can only really play listenable picks to fret 10 or 11.

Listen to the Kayaker, here. He's heard me play my concert 12 fret (my preference) up to fret 19 many times. I'm TERRIBLE!

Top Bottom