OokStrngrz app is amazing!

haole

Reaction score
Just downloaded UU's new OokStrngrz app and I must say, I'm amazed. Frustrated with the sound of my strings on all my ukes, I was about to flood the forum with a bunch of threads asking for string recommendations for each instrument based on their individual mass, density, top thickness, bracing pattern, wood color, and drag coefficient. Thanks to the countless hours the UU guys spent analyzing data in their secret String Lab inside a dormant volcano, I can just fire up my iPhone and find strings that are objectively perfect for my exact ukulele.

Turns out that due to the unique vibrations caused by the fretwire composition and pointy headstock on my KoAloha tenor, the perfect set of strings for me is an Aquila Red Low G (the first production run only; newer ones aren't quite the same consistency), a wound C that's actually a G string from a Savarez guitar set, a real gut E string from a lute, and a GHS A string from a concert set. These are tricky to track down individually, so I've had to order strings from all over the world. :confused: My concert Flea actually requires contrabass strings, and I figure I'll have to sand them down once they arrive so they'll fit in the nut slots. But I have a feeling that once everyone on the forum jumps on the OokStrngrz train, we'll be able to settle the string question once and for all. Thanks, UU, for a killer app that will revolutionize the way we play!

I wish I'd had this app a long time ago. Fabulous!

It still comes down to what sound/voice YOU like.
Music is a science, but it is an art form first.

Man... it would save me a lot of "What strings should I buy for ____ uke?" emails if everyone would download this ap!

Too bad they don't have it for android yet ;P

(For the record, I don't mind those e-mails, just love this ap)

Just amazing that they were able to finish work inside that volcano by April 1st.

In a word, awesome. It manages to remove any subjective differences and delivers the best string set for your instrument . Doesn't even matter what YOU like. They took the art out and used science to deliver an app which you can use to create the best sound possible for your instrument. Why would you not use it?

Man, this thing is smart. It even suggested I worry less about string optimization and more about practicing. ;-)

Man I love April 1st! :)

Back in the 80's Byte magazine (remember print magazines?) ran an article on DEDs (Dark Emitting Diodes) in their April issue one year. I was an electronics tech at the time but the article was so well written that I was a few paragraphs in before I realized that it was a joke...it finally clicked for me when I realized that what they were saying in double-speak was that if you forward biased the diode it would suck in light from the room...

John

Man I love April 1st! :)
it finally clicked for me when I realized that what they were saying in double-speak was that if you forward biased the diode it would suck in light from the room...

After reading this i was laughing so hard that I fell out of my chair!

That would be like a photonic black-hole.

Would it be possible to measure the lumen deficit from your light bulbs? :)

Top Bottom