Family Album

H

Hippie Dribble

Thought I'd take a photo of my ukes together. This is pretty much it for the time being, though I do have a Covered Bridge cherry concert on the way.

007.jpg

L-R: Big Rusty handpainted tenor resonator (magnolia) / Pohaku soprano (koa) / Black Bear soprano (macadamia) / Gerard Guasch soprano (maple/koa) / Kenn Timms soprano (mahogany) / National Triolian concert resonator / Ono concert (walnut)

FRONT: Ono baritone (cedar/maple)

Feel that it's a well balanced collection with a variety of sounds to suit different whims. Later this year I am hoping Gerard will finish another soprano and also am working on another unique soprano with Duane, perhaps for the end of the year.

cheers all. :)

What a fine looking family Jon. I think some of them even look like you! :)

Which of the sopranos is your favorite and why? :)

I would say the Black Bear Julie. It's just so warm and smooth sounding, and because I had a large hand in the aesthetic design of that one. But then on another day I may like to play something different. I guess that's the beauty of being fortunate enough to have more than one, because these really do all sound different and seem to suit particular songs and styles of music: for example, as the Black Bear is warm, the Pohaku is bright but quieter, the Guasch sparkles and is loud and sweet and very responsive, while the Timms has that punchy bold vintage kind of thing going on. It's nice to be able to choose.

Great pic, Jon. Funny, I considered doing the same thing this afternoon (only with the ones I play regularly, though.) :) It'll be great to be able to ID your ukes as I'm watching the videos now.

Great pic, Jon. Funny, I considered doing the same thing this afternoon (only with the ones I play regularly, though.) :) It'll be great to be able to ID your ukes as I'm watching the videos now.

thanks Casey. Yeah, was sorta nice to get them all out together and do a comparison of the different sounds side x side

Those are nice looking ukes. I really think that the Black Bear soprano is especially fine looking.

Just to be clear, when you say "This is pretty much it for the time being", that means one on the way right now and two more later this year? This made be chuckle. It was kind of a semi-evil chuckle because I am thinking of how this new expanded way of thinking about "pretty much it for the time being" could change my life for the better!

Those are nice looking ukes. I really think that the Black Bear soprano is especially fine looking.

Just to be clear, when you say "This is pretty much it for the time being", that means one on the way right now and two more later this year? This made be chuckle. It was kind of a semi-evil chuckle because I am thinking of how this new expanded way of thinking about "pretty much it for the time being" could change my life for the better!
LOL. Pathetic Slave to UAS that I be.

Well, in my defense, I am a pretty existential kind of guy so clearly "for the time being" means NOW, literally. Like, today. After that all bets are off.

:deadhorse: :wallbash:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the show-and-tell.

They all look great, and judging from the sound in your videos, it seems they all sound great too!

However, I am in love :drool: with the highly figured grain in the one all the way to the right, is that this one?

Ono concert (walnut)

also, and BTW- even though it must have been about 1 month ago or more when I saw your video for 'Ja-Da', for the past three days, I have you singing in my head "Ja-Da, Ja-Da, Ja-Da Jing Jing Jing" and now I have to go learn that song...

so the legend and inspiration of eugene ukulele :music: lives on, long after the fact :)

Top Bottom