Lacquer over InLace resin

mzuch

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today I sprayed the first coats of nitro on my current build, a spruce/maple tenor that uses InLace resin ("liquid inlay") for the rosette, tail graft and headstock logo. I'm getting small fisheyes on the InLace, none on the wood. A little online research suggests that I should add some fisheye eliminator to the lacquer for subsequent coats. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Any recommendations or other advice?

In retrospect, I should have sealed the instrument with shellac instead of vinyl. Apparently a shellac base is less prone to fisheye. Live and learn.

I've used a fair amount of Inlace. Lacquer is unhappy with it. Also with seashell, the old Press-Type lettering, and float on decals. But all of them responded nicely to a dust coat of lacquer. Pull back the gun, be fast on the trigger, and try to get a dry coating, maybe two. If you get a shine, that's too much lacquer. Let it dry. Then come back with a wet coat of lacquer. It ought to cover the dry lacquer nicely, and after that you can proceed as normal. Good luck.

I can't stress this enough.

DO NOT USE FISH EYE ELIMINATOR!

You will contaminate your shop and it will be a nightmare for any subsequent spraying you ever want to do. They shouldn't even be allowed to sell the stuff.

Fish Eye eliminator is actually silicone in a solvent suspension. Adding it turns the entire finish into one large fisheye that has no where to go but try and level itself out. Making a botch of this job that will never be right, and then everything you try to do down the track.

The best practice is the dusting on method described above. Don't rush it. It might take several dusted on coats to isolate the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much, John and Allen. I will avoid the fisheye eliminator and give the dusting method a try. And from now on I'll be sealing with shellac.

Top Bottom