shop is thawing out. - neck questions.

mjgreenwood

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to work on anything since last fall. With the Chicago weather breaking I've had a chance to get back at it in my garage shop. Mahogany tenor. The body is going much better then my first 4 attempts. I've rebuilt my bending machine and I'm now using templates from Kevin Waldron. Getting close to neck time. ... I have not had any luck with making a nice joint and have yet to complete a neck. So back at the drawing board (and timbucks guide!). I hope to post a complete tenor soon. Z.jpg20140328_152305.jpg20140328_201549.jpg20140331_220119.jpg20140401_061946.jpg

I was doing the dove tail on a radius/rounded top. I toyed with trying to flatten the body to simplify the joint. Now I am trying figure out a decent setup to cut the radius into the cheeks and modify my neck angle jig for more accuracy. I guess the question for now is how do others cut these joints successfully and consistently? The plan at the moment is to build timbucks bandsaw setup but would love to see other methods of neck joint work. The few books I've looked at and guitar making videos show cutting this joint with a nice little flat spot and that just didn't look right when I built my first body based on a Lanikai design. Now I'm doing a Martin style with that gentile radius on the body and to be able to cut this with more accuracy.

Last edited:
First I looked at how the mandolin guys did it , to get an idea of what was involved ..Some info here http://millermandolins.com/Construction/Con14.htm

I will be making another improved version of my bandsaw jig setup later this year :)
I have to thank you for the videos and info you put out. I will look at links and give it a go.
My last test body came out really nice then I botched the neck before winter rolled in. After this winter I'm ready to figure this out :)

I feel your pain. Living in rural central Illinois and propane topping $5.25 a gallon abbrieviated my winter shop time this year.

I've done a few guitars and a F style mando, so I decided early on to go for a straight tenon bolt on for ukes and glad I did. It makes neck fitting much easier.

Frustration...
After spending some time milling down the lumber and building a halfway decent body I attempted to cut my neck dovetail.

Multiple problems:
1. The body slipped out of my clamped jig! I tightened it down really snug. This made a little "kiss" but I kept moving on.
2. I set the neck angle on the machine and clamped my recently glued up neck blank in and it cut flawlessly but the rounded shoulders again caused problems. I attempted to lightly cut and rasp the blank and it is just a mess. Firewood.

3. In this build has lead me to want to modify the design slightly to flatten the neck block. So I will need a call for my mold to flatten in out as well as a change in neck block. no more radius (maybe even plywood). I think I will also attempt a regular tenon, no more dove tails for the moment.

I also think I need to find better ways to index my parts for better alignment.

20140520_164107.jpg

Hi all,
For the neck join/joint I use a modified version of Robbie O'Briens dovetail jig.
The photo shows it all, very easy to do and a breeze to fit.
For the neck/body fit I use a friends "bandsaw with sandpaper on it and a sliding jig" system
AlanSpline joint.jpg

Frustration...
After spending some time milling down the lumber and building a halfway decent body I attempted to cut my neck dovetail.

Multiple problems:
1. The body slipped out of my clamped jig! I tightened it down really snug. This made a little "kiss" but I kept moving on.
2. I set the neck angle on the machine and clamped my recently glued up neck blank in and it cut flawlessly but the rounded shoulders again caused problems. I attempted to lightly cut and rasp the blank and it is just a mess. Firewood.

3. In this build has lead me to want to modify the design slightly to flatten the neck block. So I will need a call for my mold to flatten in out as well as a change in neck block. no more radius (maybe even plywood). I think I will also attempt a regular tenon, no more dove tails for the moment.

I also think I need to find better ways to index my parts for better alignment.

View attachment 70324
Don't give in it can be done ;)...I made several dummy neck blanks to practice on when I first started...usually double ended like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom