Double Violin Case for use as Double Uke Case

keeponukin

Reaction score
I've read several threads discussing double ukulele cases, or rather the lack of them.

The market seems to offer a good selection of double violin cases, and for more room there's a combo violin / viola case.

Has anyone tried using these cases for soprano and / or concert ukes? If so, how did they work out?
Thanks.

This might give you an idea of how it works. This is a 3/4 size violin case. The uke is a Harmony that is a little bigger that a standard soprano. It won't fit in a soprano case because the lower bout is too big.
It would be worth a trip to a music store to test fit your ukes (even in a single violin/viola case) before buying, if you are getting one on-line. I took the bow holding tabs off so they wouldn't hit the uke.

Violin-uke case.jpg

Bill

Thanks Bill, that's helpful.

According to my reference material, the lower bout on a 3/4 violin is about 7 & 5/8 inches. I'm looking at a full size (4/4) violin cutout, which has a lower bout of about 8 & 1/4 inches. The lower bout on a viola is about 9 & 3/8 inches. So there's options for many different sizes of ukes in a double case. There's also a combo violin - mandolin case if you want to add in the possibility of carrying a banjolele too!

Since I'm not carrying violins, I won't mind removing the bow holders for overhead clearance.

All the inventory I've seen is internet, so I can't walk in for a test fit with the ukes. The cutout size also seems to vary a bit by brand, like some brands of uke cases.

Might not relate what you want, but a couple of months ago I decided that carrying my music stand, ukulele, couple of 3 ring binders, was getting to cumbersome, so I decided to transfer all my music to an iPad, and go with a double tenor gig bag and use the second compartment for the stand and accessories, even a mini Fender amp. The iPad and foot pedal fit perfectly in the outer pouch. I had a tailor add backpack straps, so now I can move around with much more freedom. I got it from Elderly, but I've seen it on eBay too.

dual bag both.jpg

Mike - that's a nice set up.

However, I need more protection, so a hard case for me seems the way to go.

Thanks.

Top Bottom