finding center line

dave the slave

Reaction score
i traced out my tenor ukulele on a piece of paper but now i dont know, how do i find the center line of the body?

i am wondering if there is a measuring way or mathematical way to do this since the ukulele i am tracing might not be symetrical but i dont want to end up making a ukulele with a side ways bridge and stuff. will there be any real problems if it does come out a bit imperfect, or will it ony be cosmetic?

Trace 1/2 the instrument, mark out on the paper where the centre line is according to your top or back seam. Then fold the paper on that line between those points and then duplicate it on the other side by cutting out the pattern.

Much like we did as kids when making symmetrical hearts or snow flakes.

Pohaku had the same problem.

Pohaku-Askew-1.jpg

Don't sweat it.

The neck and the bridge need to be centered around a line. It being the center is just a matter of tradition. That being said things didn't get to be traditional by being wrong, apart from slavery of course, and the tax system, and British law and... I may give up while I am ahead. Just get it about right and nobody but you and God and the precision vernier caliper need know any better.

Dave, If your intention was to make the body symmetrical, then the question has been answered above.

If you are designing a body that does not feature bilateral symmetry, you should have started with a centre line and worked from there. It's your design, whatever pleases your eye will be right.

John Colter.

i am wondering if there is a measuring way or mathematical way to do this since the ukulele i am tracing might not be symetrical but i dont want to end up making a ukulele with a side ways bridge and stuff. will there be any real problems if it does come out a bit imperfect, or will it ony be cosmetic?

IMHO it's best to spend a few bucks on a good plan and modify it to suit the style you're going for. There's a big difference between tweaking the symmetry a bit and getting the stuff you CAN'T see wrong.

Pick a half and go with it. When I make a body mold, I just trace half the body. Then glue the paper to 1/4 plywood or hardboard and cut to the line. Then that template is used to make both halves of the mold with my router. Then at least the mold is symmetrical. I'm sure my uke bodies have some symmetry variance in the end due to bending errors. But, if can can get the sides to fit the mold well, its too small to notice

Place a straight edge on one side of the shape so it touches the upper and the lower bouts and draw a light line from the lower bout past the upper bout as far as where the headstock would be.
Mark where the line touches the two bouts and do the same on the other side.
place a compass point on the marks where the straight line touches the bouts and trace an arc across the middle of the body.
the places where the left arcs cross the right arcs are points on the center line.
Use the straight edge to mark the center line through those points.
The center line should pass through where the two straight lines from the bouts intersect up at the headstock. if it doesn't, the two sides are not symmetrical.

Top Bottom