Repair or let ride?

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I have a classic Pineapple Sunday with the very old "spiky" bridge (they are on at least the 6th different bridge design, but this was the original):
IMG_2334.jpg

The problem is the strings tear through the bridge. Mine are about 1/2 way through, thus the bridge bone beads:

IMG_1489.jpg

I am seriously considering selling this uke, so I contacted KoAloha. They told me a few interesting things. The first is that this is a known issue and the reason they changed the bridge design. The second thing they said was they would either replace this bridge and refinish the uke or they would just replace the uke. Third, and most interesting to me, is that their warranties **follow the uke** not the owner! I verified that this meant that the second owner could send in for a free repair- less shipping costs.

I am heading to Hawaii tomorrow. So my quandary is- do I take it with me and drop it off for repair or do I sell it without repair and let the next owner decide what to do? The repair would give it the modern bridge rather than this (highly desireable?) design.

I appreciate your opinions! Much has been said about KoAloha's warranty; I can't think of another company that stands behind their product regardless of owner...

Last edited:
I have a classic Pineapple Sunday with the very old "spiky" bridge (they are on at least the 6th different bridge design, but this was the original):
View attachment 65566

The problem is the strings tear through the bridge. Mine are about 1/2 way through, thus the bridge bone beads:

View attachment 65567

I am seriously considering selling this uke, so I contacted KoAloha. They told me a few interesting things. The first is that this is a known issue and the reason they changed the bridge design. The second thing they said was they would either replace this bridge and refinish the uke or they would just replace the uke. Third, and most interesting to me, is that their warranties **follow the uke** not the owner! I verified that this meant that the second owner could send in for a free repair- less shipping costs.

I am heading to Hawaii tomorrow. So my quandary is- do I take it with me and drop it off for repair or do I sell it without repair and let the next owner decide what to do? The repair would give it the modern bridge rather than this (highly desireable?) design.

I appreciate your opinions! Much has been said about KoAloha's warranty; I can't think of another company that stands behind their product regardless of owner...

If it doesn't cost you any thing to carry it with you, take it with you and have them repair it. I live those older bridges, but KoAloha did change them b/c of some flaws.

I looked at your photo and your bridge is very near failure. It needs to be replaced.

Did you say that Koaloha offered to swap it for a new one. If that's so, and they have one at the shop, why not take yours along and swap it. Otherwise, I'd have them change the bridge.

1.) You're going to Hawaii
2.) You own a product that the manufacturer is actually standing behind
3.) You can get a repair or possible replacement

Man, I wish I had your problems!

All kidding aside, I always feel any item that has a quality repair is better than new. If a trained luthier from the manufacturer actually gives it a once over and repairs it, it will be better than getting a brand new one.

Go for it!

I think even if you just want to flip the pineapple uke (pineapple upside down uke?), you'd get more for a brand new pineapple sundae than you would an older model with a pretty damaged bridge.

Take it and have it repaired. Sell it afterwards if you want.

The issue I would see is that if you sell it now, the buyer - although it's a repair that will be warrantied fully - will still have to send it in to get repaired and be out that time that they could be enjoying it. So, if you were selling it as-is right now, I'd want to pay less knowing that I'd still have to get it repaired.

Wow, that looks like it's worth fixing to me....that's the first pineapple uke I've ever seen that I actually like...

That's great service that it follows the uke and that they're willing to change it out for you. I'd drop it off and have them mail it to you. That uke looks beautiful. I'd keep it!

Top Bottom