strap help

4stringjonty

Reaction score
I could use some help buying straps. i know a couple people here sale straps. i've herd gutair straps can work with a saprono ukulele.

i have a strap button but i dont know where to start. the music shop has ukulele leash type straps.

thanks in advance guys.

If you have a strap button, a mandolin strap works really well - this is what I use on all of my ukes, including sopranos. The one I like best is this one.

Personally I haven't been able to make any of the uke-specific, non-strap-button type straps work for me, as I like to play standing up and none of these really provide the degree of support that I need. They're okay for simple first position strumming but if you play fingerstyle at all, having a strap that attaches to a button will be more helpful.

If you have a strap button, it is easy to find a strap that will work. Mandolin straps are good, since they might be close to the right length. Mandolins are about the size of a tenor uke. A guitar strap might also work, but you will have to adjust the length quite a bit. I make a guitar style strap for ukes, called Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap. I have one or two button styles, and an assortment of uke friendly sizes. If you have an amp jack button, I have a strap for that also. I don't believe that feature is available on many mandolin or guitar straps. I would stay away from the uke thong style strap with the hook on the sound hole, because it doesn't really hold the uke securely, and may cause undo pressure on the sound board.

–Lori

I use the leash type on all my ukes, but then I play sitting down almost exclusively. I hesitate to use one of the sound hole straps.

I actually just ordered a Uke Crazy strap from Kala. I've been using a Willie Nelson style that hooks into the sound hole, but it doesn't give complete support. I've just been wanting more freedom of movement and not always having to hold onto the uke. My next issue will be placement/angle of the uke for the best fretting positions.

Here's everything I've tried:

For slip resistance, someone sells these stickers that will make the back of your uke less slippery. They're like the no-slip-strips people put in bathtubs. When I first started I tried one of these and it worked great as long as I was just sitting. Unfortunately, about 75% of my practicing and playing is done walking around, so the solution just wasn't for me.

Next I tried something called a Uke Thong. The problem with ukulele straps that go around your neck , under the uke, and up into the soundhole is that if you let go of the instrument it will fall. Also, the clips can cause damage to the instrument around the soundhole, so you'll want to find a padded one if you go this route.

Someone here sells a strap called a "Mobius Strap". I experimented with a homemade version based on the ridiculously simple concept. It's an okay solution, but I didn't really like it enough to ever buy one. However, it's probably the only strap that will give you hands-free control of your uke without having to alter the instrument.

I like hands-free control. I walk around and play in public when the weather is warm, and last year my Uke Thong just caused more problems than it solved. So, I recently added 2 strap buttons to a couple of my sopranos and bought a cheap guitar strap. So far, I really like them strapped like a guitar, and will probably consider adding buttons to all my ukes if I'm still pleased with this kind of strap at the end of the summer.

I make ukulele straps from leather or webbing with leather tips. The webbed ones come in 19 different colours and are adjustable (with no metal parts) from 27" to 54". I have several custom high end ukuleles which came with a tail button already in place. Tying a thong around the high side side of the nut while wearing like the rockers and the cowboys causes the body to be pulled back tightly against the player. Sound from the back is blocked so the full dynamic of sound production is not realized. When the strap is draped around the neck and attached at the tail button, and a second button either on the bottom of the heel of the neck, or the lower side of the heel, the instrument can be directed so the neck angle forward rather than backwards as with the top and bottom ties
Black is 1/2 - 3/4 - !" ; white is 1/2 or 3/4. All of the other webbing colours are 1" wide. For someone with a dry sense of humour, I have "Mule Tape" in 1/2 or 5/8" wide It has the load rating right on the strap. It is a very soft nylon webbing.

If you have a strap button, a mandolin strap works really well - this is what I use on all of my ukes, including sopranos. The one I like best is this one.

I use the same strap on my six string and it's great.

Last edited:
Here's everything I've tried:

For slip resistance, someone sells these stickers that will make the back of your uke less slippery. They're like the no-slip-strips people put in bathtubs. When I first started I tried one of these and it worked great as long as I was just sitting. Unfortunately, about 75% of my practicing and playing is done walking around, so the solution just wasn't for me.

Next I tried something called a Uke Thong. The problem with ukulele straps that go around your neck , under the uke, and up into the soundhole is that if you let go of the instrument it will fall. Also, the clips can cause damage to the instrument around the soundhole, so you'll want to find a padded one if you go this route.

Someone here sells a strap called a "Mobius Strap". I experimented with a homemade version based on the ridiculously simple concept. It's an okay solution, but I didn't really like it enough to ever buy one. However, it's probably the only strap that will give you hands-free control of your uke without having to alter the instrument.

I like hands-free control. I walk around and play in public when the weather is warm, and last year my Uke Thong just caused more problems than it solved. So, I recently added 2 strap buttons to a couple of my sopranos and bought a cheap guitar strap. So far, I really like them strapped like a guitar, and will probably consider adding buttons to all my ukes if I'm still pleased with this kind of strap at the end of the summer.

You can buy the stickers on the Magic Fluke website! In accessories. I would not be wiling to put them on the wood of my ukulele though :)

I tried that one and it's my second favorite (see "soft leather" post above for #1) but it is narrow, cuts into my shoulder a bit, I can feel the "bump" where the 2 pieces come together, and it's expensive ($34.99) compared to the soft leather one at approx $15.00.

I tried that one and it's my second favorite (see "soft leather" post above for #1) but it is narrow, cuts into my shoulder a bit, I can feel the "bump" where the 2 pieces come together, and it's expensive ($34.99) compared to the soft leather one at approx $15.00.

It's funny, I've got some really extreme tactile sensitivity issues (can't wear wool or synthetic fibers, can't wear jewelry, have to cut the tags out of all my clothes etc) but the Levy's strap has never bothered me - and I've heard others, including one of my teachers, say that they find it uncomfortable as well. But I have to admit that the minute I saw your link to the "soft leather" strap I bookmarked it, because it looks sooooo comfortable. Next time I need a new strap, I'm trying it - so thanks for posting!

I have a Uke Crazy for my baritone (with two buttons), and it works very well. I have a guitar strap for my Banjolele but haven't used it yet. The Banjolele is big and heavy, so I mostly play it seated. Anyway, I haven't figured out how to attach the strap to it.

I have a Uke Crazy for my baritone (with two buttons), and it works very well. I have a guitar strap for my Banjolele but haven't used it yet. The Banjolele is big and heavy, so I mostly play it seated. Anyway, I haven't figured out how to attach the strap to it.

That apparently the $12 strap I got today, says uke crazy in red and I have it in the bottom button hole and tied to the neck at the top. I was very happy with it when I took it for a test run walking along the sidewalk in the neighborhood with my kids.

I used my Uke Crazy Strap tied by the nut at first too, and it worked fine though a bit clumsy. Then I got the other (top) button, and I like it much better. The guy at the music store put it on for free. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom