Uke tuning too Sharp?

RadRenee

Reaction score
Heyyyy guys.

Ok so I have a problem tuning my ukulele.

I am REALLY bad at hearing tunes by ear (I think I am partially tone deaf,) but even I can tell my uke sounds off. I have one of those electronic tuners (not built into my uke) and when I tune the strings it shows them fine, however, if I play a chord my tuner says they are all sharp, which is how I thought they were.

How should I tune my uke to make it not so sharp, but without making the sound too flat. I have an Oscar Schmidt OU-2, which is a total beginner uke that doesn't really stay in tune, but I am not upgrading until the end of the year (holiday present to myself.)

Start off by tuning your uke. Then try some open chords that don't have any sharps in them. Try an open C, followed by an open F, and then an open G. How'd that work for you?

Well, that is what i did. I tuned all the strings first, and my tuner shows them being in tune, but then I played chords (those exact ones too, C, G, F,) and it shows them all sharp.

Maybe my tuner is weird? But I have two friends with the same one and it works fine for them.

First of all, a tuner can't tell if a chord is sharp. It only works for individual notes. So, once you tune the open strings, play some single notes on various frets along the fret board. See how those show up on your tuner.

It's entirely possible that, even if you've tuned your uke just fine, the notes will be sharp once you fret them. That's a problem with the intonation of your uke. Probably because the nut or the bridge (or both) is too high. This can sometimes be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I have an OU-5, and it does the same thing. Oscar Schmidts aren't really known for their great intonation, unfortunately.

JJ

Top Bottom