Been busy since I last visited the forum: this is what I made!

Unforgotten

Reaction score
Les Stagg.jpg
Les Stagg!

Started with a "Gibson-Style" Stagg solid body. These things are really solid so I thought I'd add steel strings with a low-G. Didn't do much for the sound.

"Hmm... I really hate built-in amps with sliders so if that goes..." and the rest, as they say, is history :)

So, steel strings, low-G and:

- Single-coil "lipstick" pickup
- Dual-rail Humbucker
- Selector switch: neck, bridge, both
- Volume and tone controls
- Hand-cut scratch plate
- Stereo jack socket: left for the original piezo, right for the new pickups

Handed it to a friend who's a studio technician and part-time metal band lead guitarist and he literally "feaked the f*ck out, man!" Considering 99% of guitar solos are played up the neck it took him all of 10 seconds to suss out the key and he was jamming like a maniac. Pretty much had to wrench it off him :)

I did put the stereo jack in to play with some clever delay and stereo effects between the two styles of pickups but considering: a) I'm not skilled enough to "melt faces" and b) the piezo sounds so meh compared to the coils I think I'll dump the wooden bridge and stick on something from a 4 string bass.

That looks awesome! Do you have a video of it being played? I've only heard a couple of electric ukuleles, but I think it would be really cool to get one sometime when I've been playing for longer.

Sounds like a great idea... I'll pin that for now until I decide what to do with the bridge. Seriously though, the intonation is out and I haven't had time to get a look at it given recent arrivals :)

i'd forgotten that u were on uu. velcumbak.

Great job, yet another project to put on my growing to do list.

Hmm, interesting... on another thread I mentioned my adventures with a new Banjo Uke. With this the bridge is completely moveable and an active part of the tuning process.

Reading some banjo intonation tips you generally go with "the 12th should be half of the scale length" but actually the scale will be a little longer (bridge further from nut) as this would be for perfect strings with zero size and no weight. Good luck finding those if you drop 'em :)

Anyhoo, as the gravity (density, weight... whatever) of the strings need to be taken into account the original bridge is pretty much useless. As I have a low-G set up that string is a thick wound one and would need a completely different "bridge spot" to say, the single wire A string. I could move and slant the existing bridge but somehow that doesn't look as kewl as the slanted pickup :D

So! I shall definitely purchase a 4-string bridge (intended for a bass probably) and let you know how it goes.

Hmm... do I go with chrome for a little contrast (and match the tuners) or strip the bridge and the tuners and go all black?

Top Bottom