Finished mango top soprano. Chuck Moore was right.

Garry Petrisic

Reaction score
Tried the Mango for the top It sounded a little too mellow for my liking and the top deflection was a little too much as well. It was not going to cave in but it needed extra bracing after I had finished it. I put in additional brace from the bridge plate to the transverse brace below the sound hole. This stiffened it up and caused the brightness to increase. I compared it to my soprano Koaloha and it is almost as bright but has a nice sustain. Chuck was right when he advised me to leave the top slightly thicker. If I had gone down to my normal thickness of 1.2 to 1.5 mm it would most certainly have caved in. I will avoid Mango in the future in favour of more stable tone wood. Thanks for all the advice received from others who have used this wood with varying degrees of success. 20140402_140032.jpg20140402_140004.jpg

I don't think mango needs to be avoided. Some builders seem to like it but just know it needs special consideration. Personally, if I'm going to spend the time I'll choose a wood that increases my chances for success. I've never had much luck with it. Nice looking uke though.

Thanks Chuck. I always appreciate your positive comments. Your experience and knowledge helps us all. The little uke is coming to Hawaii in July. Honolulu and then Maui. I built it for my nephew in Buffalo. He has always wanted a uke his uncle Garry built. My sister in law is coming to join my wife and I in Maui. She will take the uke to Stephen. I hope it will become a family heirloom.
Thanks again, Garry P

Top Bottom