Aquila Reds???

Icelander53

Reaction score
I've heard all the stories about the bad luck with the Red strings popping. Unfortunately that was before I ordered some with my Outdoor Uke deal. However the new Tenor Uke will not be ready for shipment for some weeks and I have time to cancel the two sets of Reds I ordered (one for the soprano and one for the tenor.)

Should I? I'd like to hear some success stories if they are out there. And I'd like to know if you did anything special to make that happen. Otherwise I'm going to bail on them.

Thanks.

I am enjoying Aquila reds on my tenor. I have a low G string on. The sound is rich and warm
Cliff

If I'm not mistaken, most of the popping stories were the old formulation. I am using the re-entrant set in both my tenor and soprano and really, really like them so far. If you search, there is a thread with a link to installation. I followed those and have had not problem but it's only been a few weeks.

Eddie

I've got a reentrant set on my flea and they are amazing - warm sound with a huge sustain. Unfortunately the low g on the linear set didn't fit my flea...

I've also tried a low G on my tenor Teton electric uke. It was fun for a week or two until it broke :(

I ordered a set of reds with my soprano Outdoor Uke but liked the OU just the way it was already strung so, just tonight, I put the reds on my bamboo soprano Paulele uke.

The reds have an interesting feel to them ....maybe it will wear off over time.... but when fingerpicking they have a kind of shhhhhhh sound to them and they feel, to my fingers, like they have just a slight texture to them. When playing chords its not to big a deal but for fingerpicking it may not be so nice. Anyways time will tell.

As far as the overall tone on my bamboo uke I really prefer the reds to the original aquilas that were on the uke before. The reds, at least on this uke, are little clearer and brigher which is the sound I like.

Anyone gone longer than a few weeks without breaking a string? I'm not feeling too reassured here.

I've got a set of "lo-G" Aquila Reds on my Mahalo pineapple-shaped soprano. I've had no problem after several months of regular use. The original compensated Nu-Bone saddle was replaced (to allow for the low G) and the nut slots were adjusted as necessary (carefully filed and polished) to suit the new string diameters. After that, good to go :)
To have any comment as to why a string might have broken prematurely, I'd like to know where in the scheme of things the break occured.

Are they warmer and sweeter sounding than the standard Aquila Nylgut strings?

The single Low G Reds should be the new series of reds - they are dated on the back of the set. (Dec 2013 and later are fine.) The sets might contain the old Low G Reds.

So far the new singles have been fine.

Had a set of Aquila Reds on a vintage banjo uke for about a year. Never had a problem with breakage, or much stretching after the initial break in period. Strings have a lot more sustain, and kind of a bell like tone. Texture is interesting, almost like you can feel the metallic powders they added. Loved the sound, but wanted to go back to a more plunky banjo tone. Would buy a set for my sopranos, though.

my son in law's has been on awhile, but when I came to play it, the red low G was broke. new formula too. I have not had good luck with them. I do like how they sound.

Had some Aquila Reds on a Collings UT1. Used them for several months with no problems. I did use an Oasis wound G string with the other 3 Aquila Reds. It sounded very sparkly on the trebles. I thought they were Clearer and brighter than Nylguts.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84618-Aquila-Reds-Oasis-wound-quot-G-quot-great-on-a-Collings-UT1&highlight=Collings+Aquila+reds

My feelings exactly. I did have a low g break, though. I use a wound string instead. But I really like the sound of the reds.

I used a set on my Pete Howlett cherry soprano for a few months and loved them. Changed to Living Water just for a change, really. The LWs are very nice too, and probably 'cleaner' than the Aquila Reds, but I don't think I like them as much, even if they are probably a slightly 'better' string (whatever that means!).

The only 'issue' with the Reds has been touched upon above - fingerpicking. They pick nicely, but they do have a slight roughness to their texture that creates a little ssshhh-ing squeak when they are new. Fades gradually over time, presumably as your fingers smooth the roughness where you're picking. I quite liked the sound! Gave it a warmth, though it was a little distracting to start with.

They strum very well. They're my favourite strings so far and, though the Living Waters have no significant weaknesses, I can see myself returning to the Reds very soon because they suit me very well. They also look lovely on my very understated little sop!

All in all, I would recommend them unreservedly, but with the caveat of acknowledging the fingerpicking noises.

Ben

Unfortunately they are hit and miss, some only last a day others can last for months

My experience with Reds (on a tenor) has me believing that the low G string is the one most likely to snap because its 1mm diameter is too wide for the stock setup of the nut slot (which some low-G users don't want to widen because they might later revert to a standard/narrower G string, which then could buzz in the widened slot). Mine snapped at the nut after about a week but the surviving C-E-A strings are all still doing fine after a few months. Not wanting to entirely ditch the Reds' really nice "woody" sound, I replaced only the low G string, with a UU-recommended flat-wound, "squeakless" Fremont Soloist low G string (about 0.7mm), which is sold singly and mates quite well with Red C-E-A strings. I might restring my other low-G tenor (Worth Clears currently) the same way, next time...

Last edited:
Taking the plunge again and installing low G Reds on my Pono Tenor. For some reason my beloved Fremont Soloist is too boomy and tight on this Uke. It looks like the key recipe for success is:
String slowly
Don't put string in nut until it's pretty much at tune
Wrap a couple of times at the tuning peg
A wide 4th nut slot would help.

Anyone lubricate the slot and string around it with Vaseline or similar?

Any other suggestions?

This is experimental. So far the PHDs and Living Waters have been the bet for me. I'm also going to try Martin m620, the $5 string set!

Anyone lubricate the slot and string around it with Vaseline or similar?

Any other suggestions?

I'd not use petroleum jelly on any kind of "plastic" (not metal) strings, just in case they reacted negatively (this may be a long-term degradation). I always make the (very small) effort to ensure any new strings run smoothly in the slot in the nut, even before I even thread the tuner, and adjust as necessary. Then, in the occasional event of a little "stiction" I'll use graphite (soft pencil lead) as a lubricant

Works every time for me, but, as always, YMMV ;)

Top Bottom