Small(er) diameter LOW 4th ("G") string options..

NoKaOi

Reaction score
Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI
Aloha folks-

I'd initially planned on installing a low 4th/G on my Kanile'a K-2 dlx along with the new Ph.D's I popped on, but the standard reentrant set sounds so awesome that I'm hesitant to re-cut the nut to accommodate my "go-to" low 4th (Freemont polished "squeakless" Soloist,) which is a few hairs too thick to properly ride in the 4th slot.

While I realize I may experience some intonation issues by leaving the nut angle dialed-in for the reentrant 4th, I'm itchy to give the low 4th a shot & see what she sounds like with this combination.

Anybody have any recommendations for a thinner gauge 4th (less than ~.70mm anyway)??

Prefer wound &/or metal-wrapped, but would also consider a polymer string.

Mahalo in advance for any input/advice!

Last edited:
My experience is that a wound low G 4th string will slip straight in to a reentrant 4th string slot without any trouble. I've always been using Aquila Nylguts.

Anthony

Try a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 chrome flat wound classical guitar string. I've found that these are about the only wound strings I can tolerate and they work really well. (The CF30 stands for .030 inch - ouch, that would be about .78mm.)

Hmmm, you could try the CF27 - it just fits in there at .69mm. I've used this string for a wound 3rd tuned to C but it might work for you as a low-G especially if you are not a fan of high tension. I like fairly high tension and the CF30 works well for me as a G and the CF27 as a C, but if you are matching against a set of lower tension strings the CF27 might work okay for you as a low-G.

John

My experience is that a wound low G 4th string will slip straight in to a reentrant 4th string slot without any trouble. I've always been using Aquila Nylguts. Anthony

Thanks, Anthony. They have done the same on my lower/mid-priced 4-stringers, as the nut slots have quite a bit more slop than the Kanile'a or my customs, the respective slots of which are all just a hair wider than the corresponding string that's riding in them -- particularly the NuBone K-2 nut. Barely enough extra room to slide a few pieces of copy paper in them bad boyz.. ;)

Try a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 chrome flat wound classical guitar string. I've found that these are about the only wound strings I can tolerate and they work really well. (The CF30 stands for .030 inch - ouch, that would be about .78mm.)

Hmmm, you could try the CF27 - it just fits in there at .69mm. I've used this string for a wound 3rd tuned to C but it might work for you as a low-G especially if you are not a fan of high tension. I like fairly high tension and the CF30 works well for me as a G and the CF27 as a C, but if you are matching against a set of lower tension strings the CF27 might work okay for you as a low-G.

John, your advice is always full of wisdom & utility -- the CF27 will likely work fine for this experimental endeavor -- if I elect revert to my normal preference of a low bottom (or "top" for the inverse thinkers amongst us..) I believe I'll be hard pressed to choose anything besides the polished Fremont (which will involve re-cutting the NuBone, & likely require installation of an altogether NEW nut if I elect to go back to reentrant).

When you find something that works soooo well, it's difficult to ponder any semblance of change!:)

Last edited:
Get a wound classic guitar string. I often use a Savarez or Oasis .029 inch diameter (.74 mm). Maybe find a .028 inch. (.71mm).

Get a wound classic guitar string. I often use a Savarez or Oasis .029 inch diameter (.74 mm). Maybe find a .028 inch. (.71mm).

Mahalo for the suggestion, Doc - unfortunately, the Freemont ... while a tad larger at .030 (.762mm) binds to a fairly large degree, & while I haven't spec'd the slot's exact width using feeler gauges, I suspect that .71mm will still be too wide.. I'm just not quite ready to defile that NuBone, although the jury is still out on my all-out approval on Graph Tech's synthetic product.

I would guess almost any wound low G would fit.. If not, you could widen the nut slot so very slightly it would still work with either.

I would guess almost any wound low G would fit.. If not, you could widen the nut slot so very slightly it would still work with either.

Yes, widening the slot is an option; however, I'd also have to modify the slot-angle for the wider string to intonate properly ... thus, committing the slot to the lower/wider string-type, which I hope to avoid at this juncture -- I'd like the option of being able to choose either ... for awhile anyway.

A contraption like Eddie Van Halen's "D-tuna" (for instant guitar drop-d to std tuning) which raised/lowered the nut-angle & opened/closed the slot would be ideal.. :cool:

I tuned acoustic instruments for a living for about thirty years. I'm the pickiest person you'll meet. I have always switched from low G to high G on two of my ukuleles. There is no need to modify the instrument to go from one to the other. If there is a change, (which I don't believe there is) it is in the non-speaking length of the string. Please ask your local luthier for an honest opinion. This is a non-problem.

I tuned acoustic instruments for a living for about thirty years. I'm the pickiest person you'll meet. I have always switched from low G to high G on two of my ukuleles. There is no need to modify the instrument to go from one to the other. If there is a change, (which I don't believe there is) it is in the non-speaking length of the string. Please ask your local luthier for an honest opinion. This is a non-problem.

Thanks, Steve - nice to meet another picky musician. I wasn't questioning your experience or background. The swap is experimental & the string only costs ~$5bucks, so I'll simply pop on a CF27 or something similar in diameter & see how things work -- no luthier consult required. :)

Top Bottom