Today marks twenty years since Roy Smeck passed

Wizard of the Strings
Uke begins at about 2:45

I did not realize that his death was so recent. How great that his legacy lives on.

Roy starts playing at about 32 seconds in

Ha! Awesome. Uke perfection, that. Twelve frets, too. Is that a Martin 0 or a Martin 1? Anybody? Looks like (on my phone at least) there's tortoise binding glistening off the edges if I'm not mistaken. If I am mistaken, however, all I need is a Martin O or 1 to be the best ever. Loving the soprano lately! This is the BEST, Lori! Haven't watched it in decades.

In place of a grapefruit...
Roy is my uke hero. I think it's that creepy vaudeville grin..that and the insane playing/

He's my favourite ukulele performer. I've been learning his tunes of late. The Music Box Waltz is my fave. I love his showmanship. His ukulele method book has loads of exhibition strokes in the back which are pure fun! RIP Roy.

This may be comparing apples to oranges. I see where Jake got some of his showmanship. Roy seemed to have that flair when he plays that Jake exhibits now. What a great player Roy was. I think he would have liked what Jake is doing today. Both are fabulous players and great ambassadors of the uke.

Top Bottom