KoAloha Pikake Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltytri

Reaction score

As I’ve said about other recent sales, I'm thinning the herd now that I'm making my own. When I set out to build ukuleles, I acquired several excellent instruments to become better acquainted with good sound and building techniques. These have served their purpose and should move on to new homes.

This Pikake concert is in very nice condition. It has had only slight use, as I never used it as a regular player, only to occasionally compare its sound to other instruments. There are two flaws. First, there are four small closely-spaced dents on one side. The largest is about 1.5mm x 3mm. These really aren’t very noticeable. Second, the prior owner installed a strap button on the tail. I took it off but can replace it if the buyer wishes. Another option is to put a small screw in the hole. Other than these two items, the instrument is flawless – no scratches or other uglies.

One the one hand, these two flaws might be seen by some as a small distraction. On the other hand, the koa used in this instrument is awfully nice. It has a hint of figure and shimmer but the biggest plus is the color. It is a rich, deep brown just barely tending toward red. For wood that KoAloha would consider standard rather than fancy, it is unusually attractive.

Appearance aside, the best thing about this instrument is that it has every bit of the full, loud sound that KoAlohas are known for.

The date is stamped on the heel block – “July 2010.”

It has been kept in its case and properly humidified. The case is included, of course.

$550 including shipping and insurance in the lower 48. I'll ship to other destinations if agreeable arrangements can be made.

>

Last edited:
Nice. Where does the body resonance fall on this ukulele? I just bought two Martin concerts ukes, and one has a thuddy F#, and the other a thuddy G (fretted and open G string). Anything but on an open string. Maybe it's one of those rare instruments that has volume and no thuddy notes. Thanks for any additional info.

P.S. Could you give some idea of the fret height? I like .035" or slightly higher. Thanks again....

Last edited:
If I didn't already have the gloss model I'd be all over this one. This is a great uke at a bargain price. They call these puppies "tone monsters" for good reason. You'd be doing yourself a favour by buying this one.

and the other tone monster costs nearly twice as much. This satin finish looks like it would polish very nicely if someone wants a glossier finish (I love the "polished" satin finishes)

Great Deal

If I didn't already have the gloss model I'd be all over this one. This is a great uke at a bargain price. They call these puppies "tone monsters" for good reason. You'd be doing yourself a favour by buying this one.

Yup!:agree:

My daughter has a Pikake Concert and it's an excellent uke!

Good price on a great uke!

Tons of sound, great feel to it, plays easily.

Sold. Thanks to all for your interest and nice comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom