PDA

View Full Version : New York uke players

little_lanikai
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Are there any uke players in new york?
I think it'd be fun to do a meet up sometime!:)

ritzer012
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
im in ny...westchester county...where are you?

ricdoug
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.nyukefest.com

benmealer
02-05-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm in queens. I'm in. Do you know of a place to meet?:music:

Hobgoblin Steve
02-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Brooklyn here.

cashew
02-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Staten Island here, mere minutes walk from the ferry to Manhattan though :)

We should take over a diner or something...

GreyPoupon
02-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Right now I am in India... but in a few weeks I'll be back in Westchester...

But, yeah, I would really appreciate a regular uke group as there is nothing like learning from other musicians.

The challenge is finding a place...

haole
02-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Long Island here. :D I'm sure there's a place in Manhattan we could take over while we're waiting for Uke Fest.

Prettyshy
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Long Island :]
I Reallyyy want to go to the ukefest, little intimated tho.

haole
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't be intimidated! Uke players, in my experience, are probably the friendliest bunch of musicians out there. :D And I'm sure that there will be many people younger than you.

cashew
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
We should all go and be easily IDable... like all UU t-shirts :) I know I'll wear mine :)

little_lanikai
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm also in Queens! :)

Prettyshy
02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I need to get one!

rogue_wave
02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I can host a get together in the Flatiron district. If someone wants to help coordinate, I have the space. I'd love to get together with some NY Uke folks.

When should we do it?

Hobgoblin Steve
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I can host a get together in the Flatiron district. If someone wants to help coordinate, I have the space. I'd love to get together with some NY Uke folks.

When should we do it?

where is this? I dont think ive heard of the area.

nvm- if its right by where I think it is (Baruch College- where I work) then id be down.

EDIT- I need to learn how to read. that said Flat-IRON, not Flat-TRION

benmealer
02-16-2009, 05:04 AM

When should we do it?

Hey, thanks Rogue Wave. That's really nice of you to offer. Flatiron's perfect for me. I'm free after work on the weekdays and anytime on the weekends. The sooner the better. I thought I was subscribed to this thread, sorry it took so long to reply.

remy
02-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I'll come to the flatiron district some weekend! But I'm still a total newbie, so I might struggle to keep up with a jam session. But hey, how else do you learn? It would be nice to have a uke community in NYC though. Maybe all those Hawaiians on the board will want to move here?

menehunenyc
02-16-2009, 09:28 AM
count me in, Tues Weds during the early afternoon, select weekends, will have to plan in advance to give me a chance to butter up the wife to let me go, lol:rotfl:

Hobgoblin Steve
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
same with me, but my scheduling revolves around school and the Ranger schedule, although the way they've been playing I think I could leave them alone for a few games :wallbash:

cashew
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey-- I'm pretty much free from the 21-25, and the 27 and 28th :)

I'm up for a get together!

Hobgoblin Steve
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
update?(10)

piccini9
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Rockland County, Nyack specifically, right across the TZ from Westchester. I like Cashew's idea of taking over a diner, maybe on a weeknight?

Somewhwere downtown maybe?

deach
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
With enough notice, I'd drive up for a meet.

piccini9
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I think I missed a whole page of this post, did you guys ever get together in February?

benmealer
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I think I missed a whole page of this post, did you guys ever get together in February?

don't think so.

If anyone is near Sunnyside (Queens), I think I'm going to try out my first ever open mic on this Friday. 7 train @ 40th st.

Aloha Matty
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Brooklyn here! Just got back from Hawaii and bought a 'uke! I love it. Been playing guitar for a long time and play in a couple of bands ranging from electric rock (Dead, Allmans) and acoustic music with bluegrass/americana influences. I plan on sliding the 'uke in on the acoustic band. I'll posta link at the end.

Anyways -

I would love to join a uke club - or help start one. I'm a member of the Rockaway Artist Alliance (www.rockawayartistalliance.com) maybe I can talk to them about helping out.

Keep me in the loop if something comes up!!! Thanks.

benmealer
03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Brooklyn here! Just got back from Hawaii and bought a 'uke! I love it. Been playing guitar for a long time and play in a couple of bands ranging from electric rock (Dead, Allmans) and acoustic music with bluegrass/americana influences. I plan on sliding the 'uke in on the acoustic band. I'll posta link at the end.

Anyways -

I would love to join a uke club - or help start one. I'm a member of the Rockaway Artist Alliance (www.rockawayartistalliance.com) maybe I can talk to them about helping out.

Keep me in the loop if something comes up!!! Thanks.

sounds awesome, matty. i think that link was sposed to be .org instead of .com: http://www.rockawayartistsalliance.org/

piccini9
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
don't think so.

If anyone is near Sunnyside (Queens), I think I'm going to try out my first ever open mic on this Friday. 7 train @ 40th st.

Is 7train a club? Or just a location?

benmealer
03-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Is 7train a club? Or just a location?

lol. It's the actual train stop on the 7 line. The place is called "The Grind" http://www.thegrindnyc.com/

remy
03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
So this is what has to happen if NYCers are ever going to work this out... 1) We need a location 2)We need a list of everyone who is interested and their schedules

So for #1, what are our options?
-there was the guy who offered his apartment earlier in the flatiron district. Is that option still open? Guy??? Are we still invited?

-There's my teensy Hell's Kitchen apartment which is a studio the size of... um... a shoebox. Seriously, it cannot accomodate more than four or at the most five, and it will be COZY... like you will feel like you are back in college... like I will have to sit in Deech's lap :p

-There is an undefined diner that we just take over. Have any of you any suggestions for that? Is that legal?

-There is- wait until it gets warmer and meet in a park.

Any other options for #1? Any preferences?

GreyPoupon
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Remy-

That's the idea; someone has to push this forward.

I'll be back in NYC in April and then I'll help organize but for now I can only encourage from the sidelines.

Really kinda nuts that NYC does not have an active club....

Grey

cashew
03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
As an idea, out in Staten Island a few of the parks have classroom spaces that are available for use by permit, I actually know one park thats absolutely beautiful, has parking, and nice rangers... Blue Heron Park. When its warm theres a very lovely outdoor area with tables shaded by trees :) And, since they were more than friendly with pagans chanting and singing and sun-worshipping, I dont think they'll mind Ukers either

The downside is that its on the ass end of Staten Island, its accessible-ish by PT, but its a long trip (much easier if you drive)

If I remember correctly, Permit fees are $25/year... Unfortunately, I dont know of any other good indoor-park-classroom areas in the other boroughs.
Ideas? Thoughts?

remy
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, I'd go out to staten island. Maybe we could all meet at the ferry and perhaps someone with a car would take us down there. This area has indoors for sure though? It's REALLY cold.

I could ask a couple of my friends in Brooklyn maybe.

Ok, homework everyone, come up with some more suggestions of places or else we do staten island until we can play outside.

And Greypoupon- it might be april before we get this together, so don't confine yourself to the sidelines just yet ;)

psesinkclee
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm up at school near Albany, but I live in North Jersey, not far from NYC.

I'd love it if we could organize some gathering over the summer outside somewhere :)

cashew
03-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, I'd go out to staten island. Maybe we could all meet at the ferry and perhaps someone with a car would take us down there. This area has indoors for sure though? It's REALLY cold.

I could ask a couple of my friends in Brooklyn maybe.

Ok, homework everyone, come up with some more suggestions of places or else we do staten island until we can play outside.

And Greypoupon- it might be april before we get this together, so don't confine yourself to the sidelines just yet ;)

Yeah Remy-- A group I used to run ran festival's there through the winter when we had too many people to hold at someones house..

cashew
03-04-2009, 03:09 AM
I should add in, if we are going to use the park we have to reserve the classroom 3 weeks (21 days) in advance.

Additionally after getting off the phone with a very pleasant park ranger, she's mailing me a permit application (I dont mind footing the money for the permit if we choose to go this way), and a list of dates that We'd be able to use the indoor classroom...

The only thing we'd need would be a name to reserve it under. :)

Its an idea :) I'd really love to get to jam with other folks.
--Nut

benmealer
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
isn't there a tiki bar on 14th st somewhere between union square and 2ndish on the south side of the street? seems like that kind of place wouldn't mind us there. i may be in that area this weekend (i heard there was a new ramen place bet. 1st and 2nd on 14th and its sposed to be good) if i'm over there, ill stop in and ask.

cashew
03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
isn't there a tiki bar on 14th st somewhere between union square and 2ndish on the south side of the street? seems like that kind of place wouldn't mind us there. i may be in that area this weekend (i heard there was a new ramen place bet. 1st and 2nd on 14th and its sposed to be good) if i'm over there, ill stop in and ask.

You're thinking of Otto's Shrunken head, I dunno if they're an appropriate venue for a jam, but they do have open mics
here-- lookie http://www.ottosshrunkenhead.com/php/events.php

cpatch
03-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I Reallyyy want to go to the ukefest, little intimated tho.
There are lots of ways to jam with other players when you're not that good yet:

- Practice the chord changes but don't strum
- Play every other chord and change chords during the ones you're not playing
- Pick one chord and only play when that chord comes up in the song
- Strum a chord once after the change then change to the next chord and wait for everyone else
- Mute the strings and practice the strumming pattern only

cashew
03-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Ok, folkies, I got the papers from the lovely ranger Roseanna at Blue Heron Park, in Staten island...

This is what they say:
The park classroom is available every 3rd thursday, and every 2nd friday of each month, (they're pretty well booked) from 7-9 PM.

The park fee to use the classroom is $25, and will cover 3 months of meetings.

Let me know what ya'll think, I happen to be available this third thurs-- which would be the 19th... Even if we can get I guess 5 of us together it'd be worth it.(And, if you guys get back to me, we can have a nice indoor meeting, which I think would be quite cool.)

Renaissance-Man
03-09-2009, 03:56 AM
I could possibly come from the Jersey shore, and maybe bring a friend or two along.

cashew
03-13-2009, 03:43 AM
ok, I havent turned in the permit yet, because I cant see setting funds down on something nobody's agreeing to go to :( (I know middle of the week in the evening is hard... esp. if you dont drive or are coming from a distance.)

On the bright side, the weather's getting warm... maybe we can get an outdoor meeting up soonish.

Here's to hoping
--Nut

benmealer
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
ok, I havent turned in the permit yet, because I cant see setting funds down on something nobody's agreeing to go to :( (I know middle of the week in the evening is hard... esp. if you dont drive or are coming from a distance.)

On the bright side, the weather's getting warm... maybe we can get an outdoor meeting up soonish.

Here's to hoping
--Nut

Sorry, I meant to reply to this sooner. My g/f is having surgery next week and I don't know if I will be able to go because I'm going to have to be her waiter and since I don't have a car I'm pretty sure It would be a big hike for me to get out there. Once she gets better I'll do it, though :)

GreyPoupon
03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
The only way this is going to work on a regular basis is if it's in Manhattan, and on a weekend.

Otherwise it'll happen once and that'll be it....

Renaissance-Man
03-14-2009, 01:52 AM
There are several uke groups that meet regularly in the NYC boroughs. This one meets in Manhattan, http://www.meetup.com/NYCUkuleleJam/.

Personally, I don't mind the travel to jam.

I encourage 'nut to get something going on Staten Island. Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.