Pono MC vs Islander MSC-4

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
OK this is bad, been playing for 4 weeks now and I have UAS already. I have a Gretsch 9120 tenor that I like a lot but feel the need for a concert size. When I am at guitar/ukulele stores I find I really like noodling around on the concert size.

Now to the question above, which of these all solid mahogany concerts: Pono MC or Islander MSC-4 seems to get more love and higher over all marks. I understand both have fat necks, which I love. I do not like a quiet muted sounding instrument so volume, with sound quailty is important,. I am coming from a tenor and do not want anything much quieter.

Living in Canada means no one carries these makes and I cannot even hold on let alone play one.

Last edited:
i feel your pain, from canada too.

I have a pono MS and it feel so nice, pretty much I rave about it all the time :). Has great volume and sound, it may not b the MC but similar enough.

My fender gets neglected because the pono is SO AMAZING FEELING. HMS is a great site (not sure how much customs is though).

thats my opinion at least never touched an islander though. But once you go pono you will never go back:p

My choice would be the Pono. A step up from the Islander and the Gretch.

While I have no experience with the Islander, I bought a Pono MC a few days ago. The fit & finish are outstanding. Volume is lower than the tenors I have owned, but still good. Sound quality is consistently good throughout the dynamic range. The neck is not fat; it feels a hair wider than a Kala neck, but it fairly thin (fretboard to back), and the thickness doesn't increase from headstock to body.

I have a Pono tenor and an Islander tenor. The Pono neck is thick (depth) and the Islander neck is thin (depth). As for width, the Pono at the nut is 1 3/8" and the Islander is 1 1/2". The necks should be the same on the concert models.

Pono concerts have thinner necks (depth) than the tenors because they don't have the truss rod that the tenors have.

I played a friend's MSC-4 and it had a full loud sound, I was surprised...maybe it's because it had a low G?

My new Pono tenor is amazing. Beautifully crafted and a very nice sound as well. It was purchased at Mim's ukes on a road trip back from the southern US, so no taxes. There sure is a lack of dealers for mid and high end ukes in Canada.

This ukulele is a quality instrument as I am sure their concert version must be as well.

Bill

Thanks for all the input guys. So far it seems like Pono is winning the most votes. NOTLguy I read your post about the Pono you picked up at MIM's and it sure got my UAS fired up.

A question for Canadians that have mail ordered a uke from the USA, is there duty charged? I googled this question which took me to Canada Customs website which lead me to a 1770 page document which I am NOT going to read. Anyone out there that can answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.

The first uke that I learned to play on was a KPK which I have since past on to a friend. My second uke was a Pono and although I have since past it on...I kept it in the family. You can't go wrong with the Pono.

volume, with sound quailty is important,. I am coming from a tenor and do not want anything much quieter.

Nothing against the brands you are considering, but the Koaloha Opio will be in stock in 1-2 weeks. Tone is debatable, but this will have more volume than either. KoAloha humidity controlled the factory to prevent problems experienced before, and the concert will be around 400. The Pono and Islander are both great instruments, but given your statement above, I would suggest waiting for this.

Nothing against the brands you are considering, but the Koaloha Opio will be in stock in 1-2 weeks. Tone is debatable, but this will have more volume than either. KoAloha humidity controlled the factory to prevent problems experienced before, and the concert will be around 400. The Pono and Islander are both great instruments, but given your statement above, I would suggest waiting for this.

Yes. This. Andrew is th Man with the Word.

I have the KoAlana concert (I've survived the humidity hassle) and it slays my Pono tenor. Feel, sound, looks, all beyond expectation.

Top Bottom