help - weird problem Worth strings?

seasidesal

Reaction score
I recently replaced a set of worn out low G Aquila strings on my Gretsch solid mahogany tenor. They sounded great but I wanted to try something different because the wound low G and C wear out so quickly.

So I put on a set of low G Worth browns. Three strings sounded beautiful and bright and full (C,E,A) but the low G was dead, flat, and twangy/buzzy.

Then I put on a set of low G Worth clears, and had a similar problem, three nice sounding strings and one awful low G. (Also, the clear string C, E, and A sound is not as nice as the brown, but the low G was equally bad...if that makes any sense.)

I'm not sure what to do. I don't like the idea of mixing strings but maybe I need to find some other type of low G. The beautiful tone on the three higher brown strings might make a search worth the effort. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Does the low g string still sound dead when you're fretting?

I'm tempted to say that the problem is in how the new worth strings sit in their groove in the nut. The old, wound string was surely quite a different diameter than the unwound, worth strings; the worths are probably much fatter and will sit up much higher in that groove.

Try a different wound low G string. What you are describing is what non-wound fluorocarbon low G strings sound like to me all the time: dead and flat (not necessarily buzzy, but to my ear I'd say "thuddy"). I use the Fremont Soloist "squeakless" low G and they don't wear out nearly as fast as others that I've tried - I play a lot, and these last me about 3 months or so, which is pretty much time for a string change anyway.

I have not tried low G on Worth's on tenors (prefer the high G). But that is a problem I had on the Worth brown baritone strings - even more so I would guess. That baritone low D is super-floppy/ unusable, but the other 3 are perfect. Seems to be common with Worth low strings apparently.

I'm with you in that mix-and-match sucks but might be a good option.

Ken at Living Water Strings sells similar all fluoro-strings. Does anyone have any low G experience with those? They could be another option.

Top Bottom