PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this Martin Ukulele

JerseyMike
04-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Hello,

I'm a green as can be with regards to Ukuleles but I might have an opportunity to purchase a Martin Ukulele. I have attached the only photo I have of it at the moment and plan on going to look at it closer. Based solely on the photo, can anyone venture a guess on the model, age and price range? Just a guess. I will try to get better photos when I go look at it.

Thanks,
-Mike

ukantor
04-07-2014, 05:55 AM
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell from the photo, the body appears to have tortoiseshell binding. This would suggest a Style 1 soprano. I can't see the arrangement of the fret dots, which would be the clincher. The tuning pegs look like the tapered "violin" type, and there is no gold "Martin" decal on the headstock, which indicates an early model.

More information required, but it certainly is a desirable instrument.

RyanMFT
04-07-2014, 08:43 AM
I actually can't see any binding in the photo but the photo is pretty low quality. If no binding, it is a style 0, with binding a style 1 like ukantor says.

Indeed, it is a desirable ukulele, and as for value, condition is the biggest factor. If no cracks, and the finish is in reasonably good condition, I could see that ukulele selling in the 700 plus range. More if it is a style 1. If you can get more pics it would help a lot.

strumsilly
04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
it would have to be a pretty special o to be worth 700 to me. check ebay completed listings . most go for 350-500, depending on age/condition.

JerseyMike
04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I just got some updated photos. Some are a little fuzzy. The Martin label is on the rear of the headstock.

Thank you.
-Mike

RyanMFT
04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
it would have to be a pretty special o to be worth 700 to me. check ebay completed listings . most go for 350-500, depending on age/condition.

You are right...I don't know why I said 700, I agree 350 - 500.

The updated pictures look pretty good. I would love to own that uke. I don't see a lot of obvious issues. What is that sticker on the back? Any idea?

JerseyMike
04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
The guy decided to put it up for auction and the black sticker just identifies the owner. His stuff is "Lot - Black" so when it sells they know what person to give the proceeds to. Any of his stuff has a black sticker.