Tenor DGBE (low D)

Luckymud

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to try stringing my tenor in DGBE, with a low D. I have an Aquila set, but it's re-entrant, with the high d. I did quick search of forum posts, and most of the discussion I'm finding is about either re-entrant tuning, or baritone strings strung in a different key.

Does anyone have any recs for either a full DGBE set with a low D, or a rec for a single string that would works well as a low D with decent tension?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I just spoke with Dirk at Southcoast last week about this same desire. He said they don't even sell a DGBE set for a Baritone scale, let alone a tenor. The tension would just be way too floppy. I bought a couple of reentrant sets from him to try on one of my large body tenors. He suggested if I wanted to try a linear set,(don't remember which set he suggested) tune it to b flat.

I have a tenor tuned re-entrant dgbe.
I use a classical guitar "D" as my low "G"
You might try a classical guitar "A" and see if is works for the low "D".
If it works for you, I suggest you use the polished wounds as they are almost squeekless and have a feel similar to an unwound.

Thanks -- I might give this a try. Do you think I'd need to alter the nut slot for a string this size? I've got a wound low-G on there now.

I have a tenor tuned re-entrant dgbe.
I use a classical guitar "D" as my low "G"
You might try a classical guitar "A" and see if is works for the low "D".
If it works for you, I suggest you use the polished wounds as they are almost squeekless and have a feel similar to an unwound.

Yeah, I think I read in a different thread about tuning to b flat. I sort of want a tuning that makes it easy for me to play along with guitars.

It may be that I just need to get a baritone?

If I do: is string tension on a linear DGBE baritone always going to be lower and "floppier" than, say, my GCEA tuned tenor?

I just spoke with Dirk at Southcoast last week about this same desire. He said they don't even sell a DGBE set for a Baritone scale, let alone a tenor. The tension would just be way too floppy. I bought a couple of reentrant sets from him to try on one of my large body tenors. He suggested if I wanted to try a linear set,(don't remember which set he suggested) tune it to b flat.

Yeah, I think I read in a different thread about tuning to b flat. I sort of want a tuning that makes it easy for me to play along with guitars.

It may be that I just need to get a baritone?

If I do: is string tension on a linear DGBE baritone always going to be lower and "floppier" than, say, my GCEA tuned tenor?

It depends on what strings you use on each, of course, but generally speaking the baritone will probably have slightly higher tension than your tenor. My baritones do, anyway, and I use heavy gage strings on most of my tenors.

John

I am an Aquila authorized reseller. I just checked my inventory to see what I had of tenor dGBE. I have six sets. I usually carry just a single low 4th for all of the different sizes. I shall have to call Aquila USA tomorrow and restock the low D tenors. I do have a set which came off a new Lehua ukulele because the buyer wanted gCEA. They had only been on a week, so they are virtually new strings. If you will send me a self addressed envelope with $1.95 worth of postage....or just send me $2.00, I will give you the complete set. I like a tenor with a low d and that same string on the E side pulled up a whole step from d to e, so it becomes a tenor cuatro. gCEa or dGBe.

Thanks for your response -- so Aquila does make a tenor DGBE set with a low D? I couldn't find a pack anywhere on the internet -- only high D (code on the pack is 11U). If you do get new low D sets in stock you can PM me, and I'd be happy to purchase; thanks!

I am an Aquila authorized reseller. I just checked my inventory to see what I had of tenor dGBE. I have six sets. I usually carry just a single low 4th for all of the different sizes. I shall have to call Aquila USA tomorrow and restock the low D tenors. I do have a set which came off a new Lehua ukulele because the buyer wanted gCEA. They had only been on a week, so they are virtually new strings. If you will send me a self addressed envelope with $1.95 worth of postage....or just send me $2.00, I will give you the complete set. I like a tenor with a low d and that same string on the E side pulled up a whole step from d to e, so it becomes a tenor cuatro. gCEa or dGBe.

I have sets of low D tenor strings, and the $2.00 set is almost new. They were pulled because he wanted gCEA. That seems better than $8 plus the $2 FOR SHIPPING.

I have regular DGBE baritone stings on a Tenor tuned DGBE. Yes the tension is a little low but honestly its not that bad. It would be better tuned up a semitone or 2 but it does work at DGBE as long as the string height isn't too low.

Anthony

I just spoke with Dirk at Southcoast last week about this same desire. He said they don't even sell a DGBE set for a Baritone scale, let alone a tenor.

That doesn't make sense. DGBE is standard tuning for a baritone.

I've had simple success on using the ADGB strings from a high tension classical guitar set as the 4 strings on a tenor ukulele as DGBE.

The specific set I used is Hannabach High Tension Nylon.

Dirk has a nice long article on his website about this very topic. Nowadays, he's speccing his heaviest Linear sets for A or Bb tuning on a Baritone "Low E" and "Low F" respectively. At least one has a "Blue Rating" (works, but IHO too loose) for G tuning (Low D).

My Bari's resonance is right around eb. At my next string change, I might to go A or Bb . ..

This sounds interesting, and as you say, simple. I may give this a try. Did you need to do any slot filing/altering?

I've had simple success on using the ADGB strings from a high tension classical guitar set as the 4 strings on a tenor ukulele as DGBE.

The specific set I used is Hannabach High Tension Nylon.

Top Bottom