What is the warmest tenor string set?

KnowsPickin

Reaction score
I've found I really like a uke with a very warm sound, that smooth jazz guitar tone. I have an all solid mahogany tenor.

What string set do you recommend to give me the warmest tone?

Different strings can really make or break the sound for any particular uke, so what sounds warm and nice on one, may not work at all on another. So with that caveat in mind, of the strings I've tried, Aquila Red and Worth Browns tend to have the warmest sound. For me, the Reds have much better clarity for fingerpicking than Browns. YMMV.

E

Not sure anything is mellower than Ko'olau Mahana's

I am surprised by the tone of the Aquila reds on banjo--resonator and traditional wood body ukuleles. People who play my instruments make favorable comments.

I think the softer thicker Koolau alohi is the warmest tone around....I used it to tame one of my brashiest ukes I own and it made it worth keeping..
as for jazz playing, do you prefer a string that would hit a note and diminish more quickly?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if the uke is already mellow you may not want the mellowest strings you can find...it could actually become dull.

I've found that if I've got a really bright uke I like Ko'Olau Gold but the temperature sensitivity with them is a bit of a drag. On a middle-bright uke Ko'Olau Alohi strings are really nice.

I haven't been able to warm up to Mahana strings on anything I've tried them on.

Clear fluorescent strings are decent on many ukes, but can be brittle on a uke that is already bright.

John

Top Bottom