Why Warm Sounding Ukes?

WashAshore

Reaction score
I see many threads about "warm" sounding Ukes, aren't they supposed to have a bright sound? Being a Geezer,
the Uke songs I heard growing up where not warm sounding. Is this a shift or am I just such a newbie I don't
get it?

Depends on what you prefer to hear. I played mandolin for many years and found that the tone of a tenor uke was much more pleasing to me; and more so than smaller body ukes. Different strokes, etc. Also depends on the type of music you like to play. I like jazzy stuff and the warmer tenor tone really fits well for me.

My tenor seems to have a warmer sound, while my soprano has more of the ringing classic ukulele sound. I love them both. I play them both and some songs sound better on one than the other. I think it all boils down to personal taste. The acoustic progression of the instrument has really changed over the last 100+ years.

I see many threads about "warm" sounding Ukes, aren't they supposed to have a bright sound? Being a Geezer,
the Uke songs I heard growing up where not warm sounding. Is this a shift or am I just such a newbie I don't
get it?

preference. variety is the spice of life.

get it?

you're right! ukes are supposed to be bright and plinky, that's what makes a uke sound like a uke, anything else just isn't a uke. So there, end of discussion! :shaka:

you're right! ukes are supposed to be bright and plinky, that's what makes a uke sound like a uke, anything else just isn't a uke. So there, end of discussion! :shaka:

Absolutely agree with this.

And yet after years of playing cello, I love a richer, mellower sound. Which is why I prefer my Kanile'a over my (now sold) KoAloha. And my next Kanile'a will have a low G.

get it?

If using "ukes" includes all ukes, then no, they aren't all supposed to have a bright sound unless the maker and the player want them to. You probably grew up hearing only sopranos, especially those with a higher tuning, which are much brighter than concerts and tenors. Even so, you will find many Hawaiian's with "mellow" black strings on their soprano ukes, always have. The bright plinky sound is no more uke like than a softer woodier one. Apples and oranges = both fruit. There is a shift towards the larger ukes however (concert,tenor,baritone), and by default, they are more mellow. They can't, nor should they sound like a soprano. Lot's of opinions here, just thought I'd throw mine in the mix.

Having a instrument with harp-like sound is beautiful. This is what interested me to a ukulele at the beginning.

But having a deep rich sounding uke is also a joy to play, this dark side of me chasing the near guitar sound. I always think to myself why don't I just get a guitar. This part of myself, I don't understand.:p

Depends on your preference, your style playing, and your song selection......everyone is different and hear things also different...maybe get one of each, a bright, medium and warm ukuleles so you can pick which to use for the right song or purpose...
for me I prefer a more balanced tone ukulele with nice warm warms, mids and bit highs to balance the tone...which only a few custom ukes can provide if it is in your budget....

Last edited:
When I want to play a plinky'er sound, I have my very bright mahogany Concert with the D'Addario T2 strings.

When I want a mellower sound that blends better with the guitars I'm jamming with (folk style, which is most of my playing), I have a tenor with nice warm strings.

I may eventually even try a baritone! {gasp} ;)

My Kanile'a Tenor with Southcoast linear set is really warm. It has this folky guitar kind of vibe. I just love the tone, if the neck were thinner and radius... I would be set.

Coming from a classical guitar background, all ukes sound bright to me! So I want the fullest, roundest, longest-lasting sound I can find. That still sounds thin and bright and clipped compared to CG. I guess it's all relative!

I like the brightness of the uke, although I do want to play something with a bit of a warmer tone, the main thing I yearn for in a uke, coming from playing big loud fuzzy electric guitar, is sustain. I think that's partly down to my technique and not being used to an acoustic instrument though.

Top Bottom