Hawaii Ukulele Shops

dnewton2

Reaction score
I am going to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some cool ukulele shops. I am going to be spending time on O'ahu, Maui, and Hawaii.

(not ukulele related sorry)
Also if there is anything cool that you know of on any of these islands that maybe tourist might not normally know about, or might know about feel free to let me know.

Forgot to mention that if you know any places that have good live music, i would love to know. Thanks

Do we actually have any exclusively ukulele shops here? I don't personally know of any, but I bet that Easy Music Center on King Street has ukes. As for live music, someone else will have to answer that one for you too. There are definitly live music spots, it just depends on when you go.

But for secret adventures on Oahu that tourists probably don't know about, go rock climbing. If you google Climb Aloha, and go to their site, you can probably arrange for a rock climbing session on the cliffs at Makapu'u point. If you haven't rock climbed in your life, it will be absolutly amazing. From the top of the wall at Makapu'u, you can look down like 400 feet and see the waves crashing at the bottom of the cliff...for real...not to mention miles of coastline. Rock climbing. Do it...but don't try it on your own, since you will NOTbe able to find the hidden rock face on your own, and probably want equiptment.

LOL. EDIT: I failed at uke shopping back when I wrote this post. Guess I really wasn't in the market. But after visiting all the uke stores on the island, by far, my favorite has to be Easy Music Center. Amazing service, knowledgable staff, no pressure to buy, a nice selection, and good prices. Hate to plug them so much, but I've just been very satisfied with the service I have received there, and the purchases I have made from them.

Last edited:
Is there not a ukulele only store, just a stagger away from the Aloha Tower?
Perhaps I Imagined it:confused:

Thanks all. I guess there may not be any exclusive ukulele shopd but compared to what i have found in northern VA, i'll bet theres a world of difference.

I guess I haven't checked out enough of the local island ukulele places (never was in the market for a new ukulele.) People who don't even live here know more about the ukulele shops here than me! XD

On Oahu, there is Good Guys on Kapahulu (between Starbuck andZippy's on your way to the zoo from H-1) always has a good selection of ukuleles, good prices and a really super nice staff.

I saw a Kamaka Tenor and soprano, Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, Bugsgear Eleuke, and a bunch of Kala's and cheaper ones too last time I went. It is my favorite music store on the island.

Also the Koaloha factory has a showroom in Kalihi, well off the beaten path for tourists. Really nice staff there too.

A quick review/rant about Bob's.I was in Hawaii for some speaking gigs and walked into Bob's. Nice little shop in a major hotel. Lots of ukes. small space.
I did not get hardly any interaction with Bob.
I am a very open guy and I buy alot of insturments. I told him I was a novice to ukes but wanted a high quality uke comparable to a Collings mandolin or better in quality, wood,ect.
He barely tolerated my presence.
I know anyone can have a bad day, but I could have easily bought 2 high end ukes there that day( my daughter is a very good uke player playing a $20.00 uke, I wanted to upgrade for her as well).
I just hate waste. I teach marketing , sales and customer service and he blew a nice sale away.

That really sucks. Good for you for sticking to your guns and taking your business to someone who wants it.

There are four ukulele shops in hawaii on Oahu...Pua poua and Bobs as mentioned. Also Honolulu ukulele company in the aloha tower marketplace and Aloha Ukulele In the Hilton Hawaiian village which has a good selection of high end ukuleles but also high end prices.

On Maui by Baldwin High School there is Mele Ukulele. If you are going into wailuku from airport it'll be on the right just before the bridge. They will talk your ears off and you might be surprised at the quality and affordability.

If you really want to see a good selection of `ukulele, there's this shady dude out in Kaneohe, sells `em out of his grass shack. Tell him what you're looking for, and meet him at Zippy's. If he sells you an ukulele, the meal may be on him (but it has to be something decent like a KoAloha, Kanile`a, G-String, Kamaka, et al).

Oh, his name is Michael. He goes by an alias on the boards.

As for music, I believe Benny and Byron are playing at Pacific Beach, not sure where Bryan Tolentino is these days, but I hear Abe Lagrimas and his band plays in Wahiawa occasionally. I'd be remiss of course, if I didn't strongly suggest you go to Kona Brewing Company in Hawai`i Kai on Sunday night, from about 6 pm - Ledward Kaapana plays there. If you drop by Honey's prior to that, Ko`olau Golf Course, Eddie Kamai plays in the afternoon.

Oh, that shady guy Mike? He may be willing to meet you at Kona Brewing Company as well, if he's here (I heard he's in Chicago).

-Aaron

Last edited:
Top Bottom