sizes / string tension

Swampy Steve

Reaction score
I sure this has ben discussed ,, but I cant find it.
My conundrum. Seems what give the soprano that great string tension feel, is the short scale, and even up at concert scale w/ aquilas , you can feel the tension difference. I had a few tenors and I just don tlike the string tension feel, even though the tone is nice.

Im coming from a guitar / banjo background, and the feel, just jumps out at me.

Ive ordered a kala sop. with concert scale , I would be interested in you folks exp. with strings and perceived tension
thanks Steve

Here's a great guide to strings - diameter + scale length = tension It's a friendly site, so don't worry about "signing up" for their string tips newsletter.
http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

String diameter, scale length AND the pitch frequency are going to determine string tension.

Although, a lot of people usually confuse tension (the amount of force a string puts on the instrument when tuned to pitch) with feel (how the strings feel under the fingers). Tension is going to play A part in the feel of the strings on a specific instrument, but it's not THE part; grab three ukuleles with the same scale length, put the same set of strings on all of them and they'll still feel different, even though it's all the same tension.

To the OP, what are you looking for in terms of feel?

String diameter, scale length AND the pitch frequency are going to determine string tension.

Although, a lot of people usually confuse tension (the amount of force a string puts on the instrument when tuned to pitch) with feel (how the strings feel under the fingers). Tension is going to play A part in the feel of the strings on a specific instrument, but it's not THE part; grab three ukuleles with the same scale length, put the same set of strings on all of them and they'll still feel different, even though it's all the same tension.

To the OP, what are you looking for in terms of feel?

+1 there are going to be many aspects, including overall string length and break angle at the nut and bridge.

the feel" I prefer hmmm. , well I had a islander concert strung with nylguts and it felt too tight under my right hand. I know th is whole feel thing is so subjective. I played a 14.5 concert and it had ??? strings and it felt perfect. the may have been actual fishing line ,, but no fluoro

the feel" I prefer hmmm. , well I had a islander concert strung with nylguts and it felt too tight under my right hand. I know th is whole feel thing is so subjective. I played a 14.5 concert and it had ??? strings and it felt perfect. the may have been actual fishing line ,, but no fluoro

Fishing leader is typically fluorocarbon. What has been stated above is relevant. You are after is a soft feel, I think. Which may be related to tension, but more likely is a combination of factors. Some people like the feel of fluorocarbon strings because they tend to be thinner than nylon or other monofilament strings. Some people don't like them because if the action is higher they can feel sharp, because they are thin, under the fingers. I think Aquila Reds feel nice, you might like them.

Top Bottom